Thursday, July 11, 2019

Second Thursday Tutorial: a review


I had planned to have a tutorial today, but time and young people got in the way.  Instead, I will bring back a few of my favorite Second Thursday Tutorials from the past.  This will NOT be on my tutorials page because the individual tutorials are already there.  However, some of you are quite new to my blog, so they may interest you.  Feel free to follow the links.

Last year I created a masterboard using one color and one stamp.  I even made my own stamp pad by placing three baby wipes on a large acrylic block.

Ideally, you should rotate your stamp so it appears there is movement.  However, I often forgot to rotate it and many of my butterflies were headed in the same direction.  You shouldn't be afraid to stamp off the edges, either.

I was hoping to learn from my mistakes, so tried again.

I think this page was worse than the first!

One of my favorite posts was when

I showed how I played with napkins.

I created three technique, two of which were successful.  The cling wrap was not successful, though.

Results using Pellon/Wonder Under and Freezer Paper.

Back in April of last year, I compared

water color pencils to water soluble crayons.  You can follow the step by step, if you like, but I will always favor my water soluble crayons over the pencils.

Second Thursday Tutorials aren't always about paper and tools for paper.

Sometimes I share how I dye products, like turmeric.

I take you through the process, then share the impressive results

including felt that a wasp was attracted to.

Another time,

I dyed fabric using juice siphoned from and after soaking black beans.

You can follow my process and see the results I got.  I'm incredibly pleased with how this turned out.

I was always told you had to use a special paint when sun painting. 

Not only do you not need special paint, you also don't really need sun as I showed in this tutorial on sun painting.

The object is the exposed fabric dries first. 

These became the inside and outside of a scrappy journal cover.

To save money on a staple that became popular back in 2016,

I created my own baker's twine using Sharpies.

Maybe not as precise as you would get if you purchased ready made baker's twine, but you have lots of colors for just a few pennies.

While we're on the subject of Sharpies,

it might be fun to see how I colored fabric with them.

Even though I am usually unable to draw even the simplest of shapes, these turned out decent.

Of course, straight lines remind me of a serape.

My first Second Thursday Tutorial

was all about rusting fabric using green tea.

I even explained the science behind it,

as well as the safety precautions you needed to take when handling real rust.

In the end, you get something this beautiful if you have enough time and patience.

However, if time and rusty chains are not your forte,

you can always make faux rust.  You can do this with any material from fun foam to corrugated cardboard to plastic.

All you need are a couple of colors of paint, cinnamon, and a bit of glue.

I originally called this "Homage to my rusty friend," but it was actually showing two different ways to create faux rust, while creating a single page for a six person swap I was in.  All six players' themes were included in this example.

As always, I appreciate you taking time to visit and staying for my Second Thursday Tutorial review.  I only have a few more days to spend with my guests, so I hope you understand, and maybe review a few of these tutorials you may have missed or weren't interested in at the time they were published.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I do remember these tutorials. Have fun with your guests as long as they are there. Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Love this post and most interesting goodies you make. Enjoy your guests, mine left today.

NOW!! Your stamp arrived today back to my address, tampered with, opened and I have it back...WHY??? Well it helps to put the correct country on the address doesn't it...I don't know why I put UK instead of USA....sooooo big apologies and it will be posted off again tomorrow... I have your address but as I sent two cards to the UK that same post guess I was having a blonde hair day...sorry... hugs.

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic tutorials and tips... those keys are just amazing, and you know I love a bit of faux rust! That's a great Chinese proverb on the final page too.
Alison x

My name is Erika. said...

Such a smorgasbord of art techniques today. I love it. It's really inspiring to see all the different techniques. Happy Thursday! Hope you're having lots of fun with the kids. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I rally enjoyed your summary of some of your tutorials-once I get settled into my new craft room hoping to explore some new things-thanks for sharing your tutorials Elizabeth Hugs Kathy

craftytrog said...

Ooh! Great to see these again. Some interesting ideas.

Divers and Sundry said...

I appreciated this review of those tutorials, so thanks for sharing this. There's not much time to spend with your visitors, and you'll certainly want to focus on them :) Enjoy!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great assortment of tutorials Elizabeth. You're very inventive, and your end results always come out great. (I liked both of your stamped butterfly pages, even though you thought the second one was worse than the first.) I'm glad you're enjoying time with the young ones.

CJ Kennedy said...

Great tip and tricks.

Sandra Cox said...

So many fun things going on. The tie-dye takes me back to my college days. We made tie dyed shirts and sheets:) I would never have thought about using turmeric.
Hope you and the kiddos are having a blast.
Hugs

Jeanie said...

I always enjoy your tutorials, especially when you play with fabrics because that is SO out of my wheelhouse. You show so many techniques and tricks and I love your bold, experimental nature!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I certainly can understand you for wanting to spend more time with your young guests...make the most of the time you have with them! As for repeating some ofyour tutorials ...I am pleased you did as I was reminded me of the sun dyeing again! Hugs, Chrisx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

actually; least from where I sit; the butterflies DO like as if they have movement; nice pieces today Elizabeth and the tye dye's awesum :) ☺☺♥♥

Lowcarb team member said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for this post.
Continue having fun with your guests …

All the best Jan

Birgit said...

Love tipost with all the goodies you show here. Love the butterflystamps...both and I havethis one too.

Mia said...

This is really stunning, Elizabeth.
I lllove the rusty effect and the idea of cinnamon!
I spent at least half an hour to see ALL the tutorial links you added and I want to thank you for the great inspiration.
Hugs, my dear friend.

Sami said...

The dying techniques are great, loved the turmeric one.
The butterfly stamp is pretty, and the fabric reminds me of a piece of fabric I just bought yesterday with butterflies to make some outdoor cushions.

froebelsternchen said...

Super to see again!!!