Saturday, July 13, 2019

Pizza pizza


One of the first things the siblings and I did

was search out the original Pizza Hut.

I had read that the original Pizza Hut had been moved from its previous location

to where it sits today.

It originally sat at Kellogg and Bluff.  Once Kellogg was widened, interested friends didn't want to see it demolished, so they moved it to the Wichita State campus.

For years it sat in this location on the Wichita State University Campus.

Plans were completed in 2017 to turn this into a museum and build an entire area where it would be located.

It didn't move far, though.  An entire complex has now been built around it.  Check out the move in the less than two minute video below:

Moving the Hut
I was ready to see this museum in all its glory,

but once we got there, we immediately saw the museum was closed.  It was Sunday afternoon, so that may have been the reason.

It was definitely hard to see inside because of the windows that created a reflection over the interior.  It reminded me of digital art where layers had been used to create a unique entity.

I hate to admit it, but the children seemed to be able to read the information better than I.  They were all taller than I, which could be why.

I'm fairly certain most of you have heard of Pizza Hut.  You may have even eaten in one in whatever country you visited my blog from today.

However, you may not realize that the original Pizza Hut was born in Wichita, KS. (USA) when two brothers, Dan and Frank Carney, both students at Wichita State University (WSU), borrowed $600.00 (USD) from their mother to open the restaurant.

Two things happened nearly simultaneously that led to the start of this world wide pizza phenomenon.  First, a friend suggested Dan and Frank start a pizza restaurant geared to students because in 1958, their friend told the brothers that pizza was under utilized.  At that time, pizza was primarily served to, for, and by Italian emigrants, not to main stream America.  Second, a zealous bar owner was looking to find a tenant for her bar near campus.  Dan and Frank rented it and completely overhauled the space, by purchasing and adding second hand equipment.  The "restaurant" was so small it could only hold 25 people.

I loved how they showed one of the original tables and different style chairs.

Within six months, the restaurant was so popular, the brothers opened a second restaurant in Topeka, KS, again catering to college students.  Soon there were hundreds of Pizza Huts.  There are now nearly 19,000 franchises across 90 nations.  From their initial investment of $600.00 (USD), Dan and Frank sold the  franchise in 1977, which included over 4000 outlets, to PepsiCo for over $300 million (USD).

Both Dan and Frank still live in Wichita, KS.

Ironically, there are now many types of pizza sold at Pizza Hut, like pan and stuffed crust.  However, their “Thin 'N Crispy”which has a thin, crisp dough was Pizza Hut's original style.  It's the one I was introduced to as a young girl on a field trip (although it was to a red roof Pizza Hut).  I had no idea until years later that pizza should have anything except the wonderful thin crispy dough, but it seems harder and harder to find that type of dough in today's pizza market.  

There were lots of interesting facts the children read through the windows of the Pizza Hut Museum.

We had access to three sides of the building, but the fourth, this side, was covered with beautiful landscaping.


Next, we headed to an area where we could sit, rest, and contemplate.  The columns were dedicated to those contributors to this new area created just for the Pizza Hut Museum and surrounding area.

We then drove around the campus, looking at various sculptures.  Wichita State is known for its 76 beautiful sculptures, purchased by friends of WSU, Student Government Association funds, the Museum, and given as gifts by various artists.  Tomorrow we will look at one such beauty.

For those of you interested in my flower bed, here's what it looked like the day after we went to the WSU campus.  More rain was in the offing, too.

Thanks for joining the children and me when we visited the original Pizza Hut, now a museum, on the campus of Wichita State, which also happens to be my final alma mater. 


24 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Well, I never knew that's were Pizza Hut originated! shame you couldn't go back another day when it was open, but seems you (or the children) read lots of interesting facts. Just about to head to Kew!

Helen said...

"where" it originated, oops, check your spelling, Helen!!

Valerie-Jael said...

That's an interesting museum, I didn't realise Pizza Hut started off in Wichita. We used to have a Pizza Hut place in Düsseldorf, where I often treated myself to a slice of Pizza and a diet cola when I was in town, but sadly it has been closed now for about a year. Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

How interesting is this, x

Romance Reader said...

So interesting. Enjoy your weekend!

CJ Kennedy said...

I had no idea Pizza Hut originated in KS. Fun and interesting facts. I enjoyed peeking in the windows and liked the original table and mix and match chairs. We don't have many Pizza Huts near me. I have eaten the pan pizza. Himself introduced me to that after his failed attempt to bring home deep dish pizza from Chicago (I think from a place called Gino's East). I'm one of the spoiled Italian kids that grew up on pizza made by my mother or grandmother. Large, rectangular sheets of thin, crispy, crust Heaven. If we went out for pizza (rare) we would go to Santarpio's in East Boston or Regina's in the North End of Boston. Now, I make my own pizza baked in the oven on a round pizza stone. I love pizza.

kathyinozarks said...

This was so interesting to read about the history of pizza hut-I had no idea of how it began-the American Dream-so glad they were able to save this

Barbara said...

So neat...we all know of Pizza Hut. To learn its origin was an interesting surprise. Thanks for the tour and info!

My name is Erika. said...

My daughter's beau needs to go here. He loves Pizza Hut pizza. How cool. I didn't know any of this but it is fascinating.Nice that the building was saved and is now a museum as PIzza Hut is an American icon. My university had a pizza place that started in the late 1950's also that has made it around the state of Maine, but not any place else. Thanks for sharing- and no, just in case you were still thinking of it, you did not say anything insulting in that comment. Just talked about how flatter land is normal to you. I have finally gotten around to posting comments. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry they were closed -- I hope the kids weren't too disappointed. It looks fascinating and loads of fun. Nice there is a contemplation area too (although I'd rather be contemplating over pepperoni, mushrooms and green olives!). The campus looks really beautiful.

Divers and Sundry said...

There aren't nearly as many Pizza Huts here as there used to be and only one dine-in restaurant I know of in Memphis. I remember when they introduced their deep pan pizza, and that's still what we order when we go there. I had no idea where Pizza Hut was founded, and I think it's so cool that there's a museum :)

froebelsternchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
froebelsternchen said...

Oh cool!!! So interesting!!!!! I loved to eat at Pizza Hut in London as it was not as expensive as other London restaurants. They were in Austria as well years ago but left Austria again.

The August posting at AJJ is scheduled except of the Linky....

Big hugs, Susi

Sandra Cox said...

Who'd a thought. That's fascinating about Pizza Hut. And started up on $600 by college students. Very impressive.
Looks like you've been getting some rain. So you've got your own pond beside your flower bed. Heh.
Glad you and the kiddos are having fun.
Hugs

Rita said...

I had no idea there was a Pizza Hut Museum! Fun place to visit, I imagine. :)

Birgit said...

I love small quirky museums that one doesn’t realize exist...like this one. I haven’t eaten in a Pizza Hut in decades. I like the original wooden chair and how one wishes one could have been an investor in this company or any other. I am actually happy they started this small, no fighting or pillaging fr9m another like the creep who took McDonalds. They are now happy, content and still, hopefully, happy.

Words and Pictures said...

Tee hee! Who knew? Talk about starting small...
Alison x

Meggymay said...

A really interesting post, I really like how you guided us through the history ofthe Pizza Hut chain of eating places. Soemething I for one hadn't given much thought to until I read your post.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

Very interesting. The pizza hut parking lot was the weekend hangout when I was a teenager...likely because the movie theatre was right next door to that as well. Good times.

Tom said...

...who knew, there must be a museum for just about everything!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I didn't know about the origins of Pizza Hut, so this was an interesting post to read. And I didn't know they had a museum. It's unfortunate it was closed, but it seems like you all still had a fun time looking inside through the windows.

Sharon Madson said...

Great post! My husband worked for Dan and Frank at Pizza Hut before we got married , over 50 years ago! We visited the Pizza Hut in the former place on WSU Campus. See you at the anniversary TSFT. I might be late. I scheduled my post, so hope it posts like it is supposed to. I hope I am able to link with my iPad, because won’t be home for access to my laptop. :)

RO said...

Wow! How fascinating! You know I love my trivia, and I had no idea this even existed! Thanks a bunch! RO

Aimeslee Winans said...

This was so fascinating to me. Thanks so much for sharing! Thin and Crispy is my favorite! xoxox