Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Heading to the Netherlands, day 1


Some of you know my internet friend Marit who I met somewhere on the internet years ago, and we think it may have been even before we both started playing at What's On Your Workdesk, Wednesday.  In the summer, she hosts 10 weeks of art that revolve around journals and paper projects.  She calls it the "Quirky Dutch Summer," and I visit every week.  Her summer is nearly over this year, though.  New projects will show weekly through August 12.  Per her blog:
Ten weeks during the Summer, ten posts that are like the Dutch Summer itself: quirky! You know how Dutch summers are: one day it is hot and the next day the wind blows.
Having been inspired by all this quirky Dutch summer, I decided to experience my own Dutch summer vacation. That's why today, we're all heading to the Netherlands.  I'm also joining Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme We're all/going.  And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Splatters and Splodges, I'm joining their challenge, too.  It looks like I just missed Moo-Mania and More's summer holiday challenge.

Our first stop will be Amsterdam.  

We begin our trip through the Netherlands by visiting Amsterdam with its famous canals and incredible bridges.

The architecture is stunning and colorful wherever you are, whether riding the canals in a boat, walking or biking past the charming houses, or driving on the capital's streets.

This incredible museum is the museum of the Netherlands.  It houses many famous paintings

including Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring which actually lives at The Hague.  Ironically, there was also a painting of Rembrandt's Night Watch in the brochure that I didn't use, which will soon undergo a complete restoration project live at the museum.  Incidentally, it may be the only museum in the world where you can cycle through its passageway.

Keukenhof (Kitchen) Gardens is one of the world's largest flower gardens in the world.  I have a couple of internet friends who would go crazy here!  Unfortunately, it is only open about three months a year.  Although I created two name tags, I decided to use one and split it between both images of this incredible garden in Amsterdam.

One more look

at Amsterdam before we leave.

The second side of this spread finds us still in the Netherlands, this this time in Delft and The Hague.

Delft, famous for that gorgeous distinctive blue and white pottery, is located in the south of Holland.  The  town square, shown above, is not to be missed, nor are the stores that sell the beautiful Delftware blue pottery.

Although Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, The Hague is the seat of the government.  I'm sure those of you who study history are familiar with the fact that the Hague has many international courts.  It is also located in the south of Holland.

For this page, as the flip side, I used images from a travel brochure advertising a trip through the Dutch waterways.  All images are from that brochure.  The spritzes and splotches on both sides were created using my handmade shimmering mists, while the only decorations I used were bits of washi tape.  All words were computer generated and colored using two water soluble crayons.

I planned to have another entry ready, but I barely got this one finished and photographed in time to show it.  Thank you for joining me today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday


24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Amsterdam is a very beautiful city, that's for sure. The border to Holland is only about 50 kilometer from here, although Amsterdam is a bit further. Fun page! Enjoy your day, Valerie

Helen said...

I did a project on Amsterdam for school once as my Mum had Dutch relatives. Never been though.

froebelsternchen said...

Amsterdam is so beautiful - a wonderful city and I can tell you captured this beauty perfectly on this page! What a fabulous entry for AJJ and great with the background- it fits TioT's theme so well!
Thank you dear Co-Admin for joining AJJ again and supporting TioT! Don't mind Moo Mania & More.
It's summer and we have so much more to do than just supporting challenges, am I right?! Lol!

Big hugs, HAPPY day!
Susi

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous journey.x

Cath Wilson said...

A much less expensive way to see the world, Elisabeth and quicker too, lol... what a great idea! Lots to look at and so much interest - plus the lovely splatters and splodges we're looking for in our current challenge - perfect :-)
Thank you so much for playing in the current TIOT challenge ;-)
Cath x

Words and Pictures said...

I have friends in the Netherlands and love visiting. Your page offers up a lovely tour round Amsterdam - though I can't say I've had that much sunshine when I've been there. To be fair, I've only been to Amsterdam once - my friends live elsewhere - but those wonderful tall houses with their fabulously gabled rooftops are pretty much everywhere, and always make me happy.
Alison x

Sami said...

Amsterdam is a beautiful city, I've been lucky to have visited quite a few times when my daughter lived there.
Two years ago I visited the tulip festival at Keukenhof for the first time and loved it!
Yours pages look spectacular Elizabeth.

Barbara said...

A beautiful part of the world that has always held a special allure for me. Nice presentation!

RO said...

I've always heard such incredible things about Amsterdam, and glad I get to visit through your amazing artwork! Hugs, RO

kathyinozarks said...

great page-loved the tour of the city (posted about fiber u last night)

My name is Erika. said...

You must have a copy of my wishlist because now you have picked another place I would like to visit. Hee-hee! Nice page and great tempting images. Oh to see all those tulips blooming must be quite a sight. And thanks so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday with those colorful and pretty splatters and splotches. Love how you chose bright colors! Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful pages. Thanks for the armchair trip. You mentioned the canals in Amsterdam and they always make me think of one of my favorite childhood stories, Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates. Enjoy your day!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I've always preferred "country" to "city" but Amsterdam is beautiful !! This is one city I'd enjoy seeing; not that I will in this life time...but !! nice werk...werk...where am I... trout towne; nice WORK Elizabeth :) ♥♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

Once again you are reminding me of a previous City break! We stayed in a beautiful town called Alkmaar but went int to Amsterdam for a day! The Keukenhof gardens is on our list of places to visit! We went at the wrong time of year!!! We didn't have time for many Museum visits either but did enjoy a trip on the canals and to the Ann Frank museum! Thank you so much for entering both at Try It On Tuesday and at Art Journal Journey with this fabulous double sided page! Big hugs, Chrisx

Sandra said...

This makes me want to visit the Netherlands. So beautiful. Kudos.

Susan Kane said...

Instead of sticking these memories of a trip into an album which will be on some shelf, you have created a magnificent way to capture the spirit of the place. I love that.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are both beautiful pages Elizabeth. Fantastic buildings and architecture. I like the waterways. The flowers are gorgeous. I love the blue roofed Hague. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of it before, even though I've heard about it often. Your travel pages are perfect.

Meggymay said...

Fabulous pages, I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of Amsterdam and Other areas in Holland.
Of course I am happy to see that you added some splotches with your shimmer mists to the background and have linked these wonderful travel pages to our theme over at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Linda said...

The pages are very colorful... suited to such a colorful place.

Divers and Sundry said...

This looks like a delightful place to take a vacation, even if it's a virtual one via your art :) Thanks!

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me bak to my native country. I must confess I have never been to the Keukenhof. I lived in Holland the first 26 years of my life and we never went.
I particularly like Delft. It is not far from Rotterdam, where i grew up. In winter they make an ice rink on the large square. And in summer there are street cafés and a pleasant buzz of people (when the weather is good).

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

That Vermeer is one of my favorite paintings. I would love to set foot in Holland. So I love your fact-filled travelogue pages. Eileen xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Absolutely beautiful pages here.
One of my favourite paintings is Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

This brings back wonderful memories of my trip to Amsterdam. I think I just stared at "Pearl Earring" for I don't know how long -- finally seeing it!