Wednesday, June 5, 2019

What's On Your Workdesk this 522nd Wednesday: After the crop


I'm back joining Julia at Stamping Ground, our wonderful host and Queen desker for another round of desk voyeurism. 

Remember this?  Did I not mention these blurry ATCs were far better looking than the actual ATCs I created?

Here they are in all their not-so-glorious "glory."   I was fighting a flood in my basement and other "real life" problems.  I only had five hours to create these and get them in the mail.  Not my finest hour, but at least I sent a few to the crop.  The hardest and longest part was all the writing I did on the backs.

The top left two were for Julia.  The 10 reads "Our Desker Queen," and the Queen reads "Our Desker" with the Queen implied.   I gathered all the 10 playing cards I could find (that's why I didn't make more), then grabbed some printer/copier paper and wrote WOYWW by hand.  I cut the words and glued them to the playing cards.  I then printed out the backs on printer/copier paper because I didn't want them too thick.  Instead of waiting for glue to dry, I sewed the backs to the playing cards using variegated threads. 

This is the one I made for Robyn, my PIF recipient.  To be honest, I had to start over again because I hadn't saved any backs.  The message reads: "Friendship binds" and "WOYWW."  Thankfully, I had saved one of the 10s for my PIF.  I broke my thread twice while sewing this one.  Thankfully Robyn has received her gift and ATC from me.  Although Sarah has posted her tag to me, I have yet to receive it.

For those of you who love garden shots, this is my rose bush, I thought my arborist friend killed last year.   You can see all the naked lady/surprise lily greenery has begun to die back.

Note also the water standing in the street, much like in my basement.

I tried to keep it short this week, so I don't get kicked out of the desker club.  Thanks, too, for joining me today and, if you are coming from Julia's, please leave your number.

42 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Morning Elizabeth; I do indeed know where to find you! Am amazed you found time to make any atcs at all with all that was going on. Helen #2

Sarah Brennan said...

I am sorry that the tag hasn't arrived yet Elizabeth. It was sent airmail so not sure what the hold up is. I like your ATCs, however did you manage to get hold of so many 10s? Happy WOYWW. Sarah #1

froebelsternchen said...

I like the ATC's. They are super !!! And I like your garden Elizabeth!It does well despite of the high water levels meanwhile! Beautiful rose!
Have a great day!
Susi xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your ATCs are very unusual, great idea. Sorry the water is still bothering you. We're alternating here between storms, rains and high, humid temperatures. Have a great day, Valerie

Neet said...

It looks as if you have a large garden Elizabeth. Sorry your basement is still suffering with water problems. Will it get right at some time?
What a good idea the playing cards were for the atc's and the auspicious occasion of the 10th Anniversary. All I could think of was ten green bottles and i didn't have a stamp resembling that or anything close.
Sending love to you and Bleubeard (and Squiggles)
Hugs, Neet 5 xxx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a clever idea to use 10s for the anniversary Elizabeth. Your rose looks beautiful.

Mrs.D said...

Morning Elizabeth, what a brilliant idea, using playing cards, well done.
They are more informative than the furry ones, but would be fun to see if one could make some.
Your rose looks beautiful, thanks for sharing
Chris #13

Lynn Holland said...

I love stitching paper. When I give presents, if suitable, I will machine stitch round the paper they are given in
Lynn x 14

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. There must be lots of packs of cards with a Ten missing Lol! Happy woyww and here's to the next ten years, Angela x17x

aussie aNNie said...

Great and different ATCV's, something I have only made once. Lovely garden.xx

Julia Dunnit said...

You’re a lifer Miss Elizabeth, even if you begged, there’s no kicking you out of this club! We talked about you at Crop, admired the fact that you got any ATCs done at all and worried about the water problem for you. Monumental pain, so wish I knew someone who could do something to help! So we had a terrific day and despite having to be really pushed into it initially, (by LLJ of course), I’m rather coming round to enjoy8ng the annual-ness of the crop!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, great idea with the ATC's! Love how they came out. Beautiful rose, you must be happy it survived. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 X

Twiglet said...

Thanks for sending ATCs for me and Annie - email me your address as we have saved ours to send to you this week. xx Jo

Glenda said...

Your ATC's are amazing! I've never quite mastered working on something so small! I also love the idea you used to mark your rose in the yard. How cute the bed is; it looks like it was buried there!
Glenda #21

Annie said...

What a day it was. The effort was so worth it for the rewards that came with it...fun, friendship and lots of love and hugs. Such a shame you are over the pond and couldnt be part of it. Thanks so much for the ATC that came via Julia....so thoughtful of you. It was certainly a day to remember for all it's smiles....and we are even considering doing it again now.
Hugs,
Annie x #12

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't had art time for a week now (and I am missing it) as life has been busy elsewhere. I am saying that because I can relate to your ATCs. At least you had some time to do them. And that rose is looking gorgeous! Enjoy it. Hugs-Erika

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

That's a very clever work-around your time constraints for the ATCs! I find writing the back of the cards tedious as well - so I made a template and print them on the computer. That looks almost like a bed buried in your garden, so it's a real flower bed, LOL! Hope you enjoy your week! zsuzsa #26

Lillianb said...

great pictures and love the ATC's

Lilian B #16

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun ATCs. the rose is so beautiful. Hope your flooding problems have finally receded. We're about to regrade an area at the back of the house and install a French drain to hopefully solve our basement flooding problems.

Diana Taylor said...

What a clever idea for your ATC's and what a lot of old packs of cards you must have! I hope your flood problems are soon sorted - what a headache for you. What a lovely rose - I'm no good at roses, they seem to wither whenever I'm around, which is a shame as they are such beautiful flowers.
Hope you have great week,
Diana x #20

Heather M said...

Hi Elizabeth, those are very unique ATCs - what a great idea, and the stitching is a brilliant idea. Love the ones for Julia - she looked perfect on the day with her tiara on. We are a very lucky bunch of ladies to have been brought together. Sorry about your flood problem, I hope it's not a regular occurrence. Thanks for stopping by my blog. My stamp storage has been giving me a problem for some time. Mainly I could never find the one I wanted, as I really can put something down, and then not find it less than 5 minutes later. It's very frustrating at times, but hey ho, things could have been a lot worse! Have a lovely week, Heather xx #6

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Lindart said...

I love your garden "bed"! Beautiful rose, glad it survived. Your ATCs are very creative, lovely! Have a great week, hugs to the kitties, Lindart #32

Divers and Sundry said...

This is what I love most about ATCs :) Quick to do and no pressure. Because if your house is flooding that's too much pressure already :( There's been so much rain, and it hasn't ended yet!

That rose is beautiful!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Thank you for my ATC Elizabeth, it's going on my shelves of shame at home for sure - we have been staying in a cottage for the week, so I'm working on reduced wifi! I'm so sorry to hear about the water problem, hope it hasn't done too much damage. You don't get weather by halves where you live eh?
Hugs LLJ 10 xx

Jeanie said...

I'm guessing the arborist knew what he was doing, though it had to be a fright for you! It's a lovely rose, beautiful color. I think we are all tired of severe weather -- and too much wet. I'm amazed you got your cards done with a basement flood. I've had those and live in fear of another and I know how frustrating they are, the damage they cause and how exhausting it is to clean up after them. I feel so bad you've had to deal with this.

StampinCarol said...

Love your ATCs! How cool to sew around them!
Sorry about your basement. Hope you get it all dry and cleaned soon.
Beautiful rose!
Have a wonderful day!
Carol N #30

Sandra said...

What a lovely, thoughtful gift.
Look at that beautiful rose. What a pretty area.
You still have water in your basement? Good grief.

Caro said...

Love the ATCS, but what a nightmare that there is still such a mess in your basement. I really hope it gets sorted soon. Happy WOYWW. With love & God Bless, Caro x (#9)

Sue said...

Hi Elizabeth, Those ATCs are fab. I love how you did the Queen for Julia.

Beautiful rose.

Hope you can get your basement sorted.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #8

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a very nice colour rose, glad it has bloomed so well this year.

I do hope the water situation will be sorted soon for you.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

A great idea to use playing cards for ATC's , they all look great.
It was good to see another photo of your lovely pink garden rose.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Your ATCs are Gorgeous Elizabeth !! What a so good idea you had, love them! And I looove this rose, it´s just amazing . I hope the rain stops soon, and I wish you a very nice Thursday,
Big hugs, Caty

craftyani said...

Love your ATC's and congratulations making them with all your water problems. Crafters will never be defeated. Love your garden also. Ani #19

Debbie Rock said...

What a brilliant idea for your ATC's! Sorry about all the problems caused by your storms ... scary and very inconvenient! Really hope everything settles down for you very soon. Sorry I did not get back to you before now ... goodness knows where yesterday went! Take care, love Debbie xXx

Christine said...

Thanks for your visit earlier.
How awful to be without power, I have an emergency box of candles (with matches) and tinned food (with tin opener) but thankfully never had to use it. I just change the food tins around every year!!
Great idea for your ATCs and your rose is looking superb. My daughter has a rose bush that has never flowered since she moved,3yrs ago,in the house. She prunes it every year and this year ..... three buds!!
This must be the year of the roses.
have a good week
Christine #25

Marit said...

I do love your 'simple' ATCs, a very creative thing to use the 10th playing cards and the queen... I, too, couldn't make it too the crop but I'm glad I am part of this online tribe of deskers - inspire each other every week. We cannot meet in person maybe, but I send you a digital hug! Love from Holland! Marit #28

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

You’ve certainly been through the wars, Elizabeth with all the flooding and power issues, I’ve heard of others who’ve issues too, well done on persisting stitching around those cards, real dedication love the inscriptions you added too.
Pray your basement dries out speedily and all other affected folks too. Really hard.
Happy belated WOYWW. Thanks for sharing your desk, Shaz in Oz.x #23

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Dorlene Durham said...

Happy belated WOYWW! I love your ATC's. Isn't it funny how we are so hard on ourselves? Have a great week. Dorlene #34

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated WOYWW and thank you for your earlier visit to my new blog. I hope your basement dries out soon and you can get it all sorted. I love the ATCs, especially the stitching. Quick thinking! Ali x #29

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, your ATCs are fab and a clever use of the playing cards. I always hesitate to use my sewing machine on paper - I fear that the paper 'dust' will do serious damage. So glad your rose survived the arborist's treatment because it is such a beautiful flower. We've had more than usual rain here but not too much damage (no basement to flood - just a few plants flattened and they will recover I'm sure). Hugs to you and Bleubeard. Elizabeth x #37

pearshapedcrafting said...

When I read this post the other day I should have made a comment straight away - I thought i would wait until I posted then totally forgot!! I love your ATC and that rose rising from the damp ground made me smile ! Hugs, Chrisx