Wednesday, May 29, 2019

What's On Your Workdesk this 521st Wednesday? Dresses, as promised.


Once again it's time to honor Julia at Stamping Ground, our wonderful host and Queen desker by showing what is on our desks, tables, or floor.

On my work table are an altered book I'm getting ready to work in, as well as the latest rocking horse I was gifted with at Christmas.  Also on my table are necessary items that live there all the time.   I'll show them in detail another day. 

But today is all about the dresses that live on my wall.  This was a year long project created by a lady who no longer has a blog.  She sent each player a PDF pattern and we were supposed to make the dresses out of paper and only decorated on one side.

I didn't learn about the project until late in January, 2010, so I started with the February dress.  I wasn't necessarily satisfied with what I was making, so for January, which was the only month I showed my dress late, I changed the pattern and decided all my dresses would look equally good on both sides.  Often made using fabric, and occasionally both paper and fabric, I made two dresses a few of the months.  I made and formed all the hangers from heavy metal baling wire, too.  Sometimes that was harder than the actual dress I created.

This was taken on my floor with my old worthless camera.  I made two dresses for February, two for March, and two for April.  From May through December, I made only one dress each month.  Want to see how I made them?  You can see each of my contribution by month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December.   You can also click on the label "Project Dress Up" on my right sidebar and they will all appear starting with December's dress.

We were also required to provide a cabinet to hold our dresses.  Most players made theirs out of paper, but I made this one out of wood.  When I decided to bring the cabinet upstairs, I got the idea of hanging the dresses on the wall instead of in the cabinet, which I now use for much needed storage.

Here is the rocking horse you really came to see this week.

It definitely is a high kicker!  Note Wendy is watching in the background.

It seems I have tons of dresses in my craft room.  The large dress was made from a technique using joint compound.  It is very sturdy and stiff.  I added all the embellishments after the dress was dry.  I made the postcard of dresses hanging on a clothes line using different papers I colored and painted.
 
This is on my to-alter list.  I plan to turn this dress into something Asian inspired.

I bought this dress and its matching paper hanger at the Dollar store.  I am still waiting for inspiration to hit.  It hangs on my cabinet that has a drawer that will not close all the way.  Several years ago, I removed all the drawers from this cabinet because none of them would close all the way.  At least now three of them will.

Sorry this is such a long post.  I know Julia wants it short and sweet, but that wasn't going to happen if I explained about the dresses.  Thanks, too, for joining me today and, if you are coming from Julia's, please leave your number.

42 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

no, you beat me to it as I was reading a blogpost by my cousin and although I kept checking, I missed it! Good to see you here again playing along. There is always so much to look at here. Helen #3

Valerie-Jael said...

There's a lot on your desk today. Love those funky little dresses. I have drawers that won't close, but I think there is something stuck at the back of them - must investigate! Enjoy your Wednesday! Valerie

Claire said...

Still enjoying your rocking horses, I see! Lovely to 'see' you again :)
Happy WOYWW!
Claire no. 2

Neet said...

Thanks for the information on the dresses, very interesting and so good to see them in close up. It was a great idea to have the challenge but I think mine would have all had to be paper, what fun they must have been for all concerned. I think you are right, they look much better displayed on the hangers like that than put away in the box.
What are you altering the Chinese dress for? Will that not take one from your collection?
Love the rocking horse, what fabulous workmanship.
Hugs to you and tickles to you know who
Neet 5 xxx

Anne said...

Hello Elizabeth, Take 2. I was typing away and suddenly screen went black :-( Lovely to see you again and your rocking horses!
Thanks for explanation re dresses! Many years ago I used to have a weekly comic called Bunty. It had a cut out doll with some outfits. I spent many hours designing and making new ones! Simple pleasures in those days. Anne X #9

Sarah Brennan said...

Thanks for explaining about the dresses Elizabeth. Sounds just your sort of a project, although I agree that the back should look as good as the front. Great way to display them too. Hope the tag arrives soon. It was sent air mail last Thursday morning. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #12

Lillianb said...

Happy WOYWDW Love the dresses and the hourse is lovely,

Lilian B #13

Julia Dunnit said...

I spotted that the cover was off the sewing machine 8n the first picture and got even more interested! Before I forget, isn’t the design of loose legs on the rocking horse a genius idea, such a nice one from your collection. I love the dresses, I still think they look much larger hanging up there than they do close up...and I agree with Neet..they look so great hanging along the wall that it would be a shame to keep them in the cupboard...however fabulously made. Go you! Hope the water situation is at least under control...M4 Dunnit says it’s time to consider a pump so that you don’t have to spend the winter dealing with cold water. Ugh. Xxx

Diana Taylor said...

Thank you for the tour around your art room - the little dresses are gorgeous and look fabulous hanging across the wall rather than tucked away out of sight! Love the rocking horse - he looks beautifully made and I like the way he can scratch his neck with his hoof if he wants!
Hope you have a great week,
Diana x #18

Annie said...

I love your display of little dresses and it was good to see them a little closer to see the work you put into each of them.
Hugs,
Annie x #14

Lunch Lady Jan said...

How lovely to see the dresses close up and hear about the inspiration and making....I think hanging them up is so much better as you can see them all the time. Love your Bucking Bronco rocking horse, that's a clever idea!
Hugs LLJ 8 xxxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Elizabeth, and hugs to Bleubeard. Love the explanation for the dresses, what an amazing project. Gorgeous, all of them. Great job on the cabinet, but I agree, who'd want to hide them away? Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #7 X

My name is Erika. said...

I never thought of making dresses, but these are pretty cute. It looks like it was a fun challenge. And it is a cool idea. You sure do have a lot of dresses in your studio. They really make nice decor. And how did jury duty interview go yesterday?

Heather M said...

Hi Elizabeth, So pleased you did a post on the dresses - I have to admit I was very curious abut them. What a unique challenge to be involved in. I think I would have made fabric rather than paper dresses too. Love the cabinet too - but wouldn't want to hide the dresses away in there. Out on display to enjoy! Have a lovely week, Heather xx #11

Nancy said...

You were wise to hang your dresses all together as you have- they are just so much fun to look at. Such a fun project! Had to chuckle at the task of bending wire for the hangers- that was the least fun part of things!

Sami said...

Love the little Asian dress, so cute :) and of course the rocking horse rocks!

Stacy Sheldon said...

Good Morning Elizabeth, ooh nope I would totally not use that cupboard for the dress line either. it is way more interesting to see them all on display on the wall where you can view the art. but, then I have one of those its all hanging out spaces because, if I tuck it in the closet or something I cannot see in, it no longer exists for me. ~Stacy #27

Camilla Fisher said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the altered book. I do like the rocking horse.

Lindart said...

What a great project! You certainly seem to have had a lot of fun making them. I love the box you made as well! Julia will never get a short and sweet post from me - it's the only post I do each week! Meows to Bleubeard from the kitties, and hope you have a great week! Lindart #30

Caro said...

Love your desk this week and those little dresses are fab! Thanks for commenting on my blog already - if you would like one of the badges (buttons) let me know - I am happy to post worldwide! Happy WOYWW! Love & God Bless, Caro x (#15)

Sue said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love your dresses and the hanging unit you made for them.

Looking forward to seeing how you alter the book.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #10

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fun project, and I love the cabinet you made. You have varied creative skills, and that's a fact.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

So that's the explanation behind the dresses on the wall. They are lovely. Beautiful rocking horse.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I love your little dresses on the tiny hangers all in a line. It sounds like it was a fun challenge. It's a shame that lady no longer has a blog - even if people abandon their blogs, I think it's good if they can leave them online - you never know who comes along and gets inspired by it. That's the whole point for having a blog - for me anyway. Thanks for your visit Elizabeth and congrats on #1! The highest position I ever got (or lowest, depending how you look at it) was 7, I think! Have a lovely week! zsuzsa #23

StampinCarol said...

So cool to hear the story behind the dresses and how you altered them.
Hope inspiration hits for the little hanging one. That Asian fabric is beautiful!
Love your horse! I just watched a documentary on the Polish Arabians and seen some ancestors to my long gone horse. So cool!
Thanks for popping by and have a great week!
Carol N #25

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, No. 1! well done. The story of the dresses is lovely and they look great hung up there. The rocking horse is a beauty! Happy woyww and thanks for the lovely comment over at mine. Angela x17x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; all of your dresses are very creative; the last one; I rather like it just as it is ☺☺☺♥♥♥

Caty said...

What a so great and wonderful work with the dresses Elizabeth !! They are all so beautiful, just amazing ! I love the fantastic wood rocking horse, and the cabinet you create for the dresses!
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
Big hugs, Caty

Lowcarb team member said...

I just love the dresses … and your rocking horse of course :)

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

I do so love your dresses! Looking forward to an Asian inspired project! Being brief - trying to get a few desks in before my back gives in! Hugs, Chrisx 31

Sandra said...

Ooh, I love everything. And that cabinet...divine!

Meggymay said...

It sounded fun making the dresses each month, all your do look lovely and the cabinet to keep them in looked fantastic as well. I would have used it for storage as well.
Yvonne xx

Dorlene Durham said...

So cool! I love the dresses and the story behind them. Have a wonderful week. Dorlene #28

Rita said...

That's a lot of work! Even making your own hangers, too. Wow! :)

froebelsternchen said...

Your dresses are AMAZING!!!!!

Debbie Rock said...

The little wardrobe for the dresses is adorable but I love seeing them hanging up like that ... reminds me of ironing day! Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday ... the day sort of ran away with me and before I knew it it was bedtime! Love to you from Debbie xXx

glitterandglue said...

Hi Elizabeth. Couldn't comment earlier as I spent Wednesday lying prone on the settee feeling VERY rough - however... here I am now. What fun - all those dresses. Well done. That rocking horse is gorgeous!!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #4

Twiglet said...

Oh I love to see a bit of sewing in action - your little dresses are fab - just my thing! xx Jo

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth and Bleubeard, the dress project must have been fun to do and they look fab hanging above your window. Love the rocking horse - it's a beauty. Have a great week. Elizabeth, commenting from Lancaster, England, today. X #32

Jeanie said...

All those sweet little doll clothes! I'm not sure what happened in my house but Barbie's black and white swimsuit just showed up on the floor in the living room one day. I suppose Lizzie found it somewhere but I have no idea of where she would have found it or how it got there! At least yours are organized!

Shoshi said...

What adorable little dresses, Elizabeth, and what an unusual project! Great fun. Love the little high-kicking rocking horse! I think he wants to escape from his rockers and run around in a big field! Thank you for your visit. My pension coming through is a huge bonus and very unexpected. All the work I've been putting in is for my disability benefit which is separate. Today I think I completed the massive form in draft, which I am getting checked by someone on Monday. I have to get it off in the middle of next week to meet the deadline. I'm glad you liked the card I made for my hubby. At the Chinese restaurant we ordered a lot of food so we could take enough back with us for the next day! They are very happy for us to do that, and it saved me from having to cook when I am so busy.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #21

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Read every word even if nearly a week late Elizabeth ... a great blog post loved it, love seeing machines in use to need to use mine again more mending. I love machine be when they work best :D
Great amazing collection of dresses, such persistence. I’ve a problem, I have to create useful things, that’s why I dont scrapbook, all this albums, I’ve already enough .. or do those books with pages of art work samples. Yet can buy more craft stash not so much of a problem! Except money, it has to go through strict price criteria there too. But that’s good, that part... saves money.
Very late at calling .. but happy belated WOYWW. Thanks for sharing your desk, Shaz in Oz.x #24

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}