Sunday, May 12, 2019

Eco dyeing fabric


I really want to spend time in my craft room, but I must keep on top of the storms that are raging outside my home right now.

Some of you saw the herbs I bought on Herb Day.   What you didn't see was that before I went to Herb Day, I cleaned out my existing herbs that had overwintered outside.  I was surprised to see these lovely leaves had also overwintered.

They were kept moist and supple from the rains and small amounts of snow we had this past winter.   I decided to create eco-dyed fabric.  I first laid the leaves out in a pleasing manner, along with some rosemary I accidentally broke off when I was cleaning the contents of the pot.

I folded the sides inward about an inch on either side, then, using a copper tube, wrapped the leaves in place.

You can envision the copper tube I used.

Even before I wrapped the bundle in wax linen thread, I could see the veins in the leaves.  It really excited me.

Thanks for joining me today.  I'm off to steam this bundle for about two hours, then I'll let it sit in the pot while it cools.  I'm so glad you stopped by.  I appreciate your continued support of my art and my experiments.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful leaves, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Have a lovely day, Valerie

Helen said...

hope the storms ease soon. great leaves!

froebelsternchen said...

How exciting is this!!!?? I am looking forward to the dyed fabric - I am sure it will turn out wonderful Elizabeth!
Happy Sunday-- hope the storms calm down!
You are in my thoughts my friend!
Love and light from
Susi

Evergreenmo said...

So looking forward to seeing the results Good idea to wrap round a copper tube

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Oh, my goodness. I'll look forward to seeing the end result. You come up with such lovely effects.

Caty said...

These leaves are lovely Elizabeth !! I love them, and I can´t wait to see your wonderful fabric, because I´m sure it will be Wonderful !!
I wish you a very happy Sunday, and hope all is well now, and also that Sally is much better today.
I send you big big hugs,
Caty

Mia said...

What a great idea, Elizabeth. I will be waiting to see the fabric!!! Kisses, my friend.

kathyinozarks said...

can't wait to see the results-happy Sunday

CJ Kennedy said...

Looking forward to seeing your results. I hope all the rain and nasty weather dries up soon.

craftytrog said...

I can't wait to see how those beautiful leaves work out Elizabeth. Hope you're having a good weekend.
Alison xx

My name is Erika. said...

I can't wait to see this experiment's results. That is the best part of art, doing experiments to see what you get. Happy Mother's Day as you have 2 fine furboys. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

Looking forward to seeing how this project turns out Elizabeth. Those leaves you used had really rich looking colours.
Sorry you are still having to cope with all the rain, its got to change for you soon.
Yvonne xx

Anonymous said...

the unwrapping is the best!!!! I loved to do this,, I can't wait to see your results!!!

Rita said...

Can hardly wait to see how this turns out! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

Great find in your spring garden :) Such beautiful colors! I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Jeanie said...

Can't wait to see your finished product! (And what you do with it.)

Sandra said...

Can't wait to see the results!
Hope the critters were good to you on Mother's Day, dear Elizabeth.
Hugs

Eileen Bergen said...

Oh the suspense, Elizabeth. I bet the fabric will be beautiful. Eileen xox

Lowcarb team member said...

Those leaves look so nice, aren't they nice colours …

Those storms sound terrible, stay safe.

All the best Jan