Wednesday, April 10, 2019

When is a box not a box?


A box is no longer a box when it's been deconstructed.  Once deconstructed, you are free to add any number of collage papers, or old, out of date maps to cover any printing.

I got a bit upset with myself when I realized I placed the glue on the "pretty" side of the map and was stuck with the boring side on the outside!  Time will tell what I make of these, but at least I have a plan.

However, I have no time today.  The garden is calling and I have a full sink of dirty dishes (something that NEVER happens), two sandboxes that haven't been cleaned in days, one load of laundry to wash and hang on the line, two sacks of trash I failed to take to my dumpster, and of course, my friend's sick cat that must get her treatments on time.

Nearly two weeks ago, right before we were supposed to have two hard freezes, I cut my hyacinths and brought them inside.

I wasn't sure if they would survive,

but nearly two weeks later,

even the blooms that were infants, have now fully blossomed.

The first day I needed to be at Sally's to take care of her cat.

I was overjoyed to see that my tulips were actually going to bloom this year.

Not a single tulip scattered around my yard bloomed last year.

I was overjoyed and found

many that were ready to bloom.

I remember Sandra saying how her tulips bloomed right before her eyes.

I, on the other hand, had to wait a couple of days.

They are certainly stunning.

I was truly overjoyed.

It appears they have all survived the two hard freezes

and will soon be brightening my front flower bed.

One more look at all these beauties that will soon all be in gorgeous bloom,

and the flowers in the shade of my house that are not doing anything.

For Day 10 of 22, I recycled two sides of a deconstructed cardboard box by covering them with parts of an out of date map.  Thank you beyond belief for joining me on my recycling quest.  I am so grateful for your support of my art and recycling efforts.  And I hope the photos from my flower bed make up for the lack of "real" art today.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Never mind about whether it's the right or wrong side of the map - it will get you somewhere. Your garden is looking good, glad the tulips are blooming. The hyacinths look good in the vase. Sounds like you a have a lot to do! Valerie

Sandra said...

Your tulips are beautiful! And I love the hyacinths and beautiful vase they're in. I don't have any hyacinths. I may have to get some bulbs.

You are busy! Where's the maid when you need her? Heh.

Helen said...

your tulips are looking very colourful, hope they give you joy for weeks to come.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow-tulips. they are beautiful. And so are the hyacinths. We are so far away from tulips right now it looks to me like you must be on another planet or hemisphere. Smile. I think your garden is looking fabulous! We are not going to have spring here in New Hampshire I don't think. It will go straight to summer, one of these days. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful blooming! Enjoy! Sending you a load of extra time my busy friend!
Don't mind the wrong side of the map - maybe it will look even better and just was a "happy" little accident - who knows?!

Hugs, Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

You are busy. The hyacinths in the vase look lovely. That vase is so pretty, too. Enjoyed walking around your garden.You'll have a fine crop of tulips. I don't get many tulips as the chipmunks and rabbits are fond of the tulip bulbs. They don't like daffodil bulbs so I have lots of those ready to bloom. Enjoy your day.

Caty said...

Wooowww your tulips are wonderful Elizabeth !! Love tulips, love flowers! Your hyacinths are lovely inside.I think you garden back of the house will very soon be as beautiful of your front garden.
I´m sure you will create some gorgeous Art with your maps. And.... ufffff, yes you are very very very busy those days, your´re a strong woman dear friend! Take care.
I wish you a very nice day, and send you big hugs,
Caty

Nancy said...

So good to see the signs of Spring!

Divers and Sundry said...

I have started saving cereal and cracker boxes for this exact reason :) I think either side of that map would work fine. That's a lovely vase, and I'm glad you got your hyacinths inside before the cold killed them and that they are holding up so well. Those tulips are indeed stunning. What a bright spot! Your garden _is_ "real art"! I always enjoy seeing how it's turning out in each season.

(I got the fennel seeds planted -some in the ground and some in a pot- and hope some of them "take". I'm so excited!)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the tulips here are just up out of the ground; very nice garden Elizabeth ! ☺♥

Meggymay said...

I'm sure the alteration to the box and the mishap with the side of the map you used will be turned into something special when you use them. Your garden is looking very much like spring, the tulips look beautiful. I think the hyacinths look lovely as well, they must smell lovely.
I wish I could send you more time today, but it is hard to find these days as it sure doesn't stand still.
Have a good day .
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Your garden is looking beautiful -- really taking on. I'm so glad you cut your hyacinths and brought them in instead of losing them. They do quite well in water, I think and yours are especially pretty.

Susan Kane said...

Tulips are so beautiful! I wish they would bloom forever.

My dishes and laundry are constantly calling my name.

Rita said...

Your hyacinths and tulips are gorgeous!
Happy spring!! :)

Sami said...

How exciting, you've got tulips in your garden. Enjoy them Elizabeth.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'll look forward to seeing what you make! Your garden is looking good! I have never hsd any luck growing tulips! Hugs, Chris x