Sunday, April 14, 2019

Ticket to ride


Today I'm once again joining Wendy from Wendy's Art and Craft Journal who is our host at Art Journal Journey this month.  Her theme is Having Fun and I can truthfully say this time I had fun making this.

Some of you probably remember when I created this a few days ago by recycling part of a food box and a discontinued map.

I have to admit, I was inspired to create this based on a journal page my friend Erika posted yesterday. The overlay that Erika talked about reminded me that I had tons of these I found one year sitting at the curb waiting for the trash truck to arrive.  I asked if I could take them, and the owner said yes.  Originally, I planned to use these overlays, copyrighted 1968, in my 7 Continents journal.  But I believe a few will be useful other places, too.

I think you can see

why I have named this Ticket to Ride.

I added a second ticket for color and interest.

I rotated this to show it is a map of Afghanistan

and how it looked in the late 1960s.  I've made no secret of the fact I sent for information, which includes some fabulous images of various sea faring and riverboat cruises, mostly in Europe.   I am well aware, though, that there won't be any cruises through any rivers in Afghanistan as long as there is fighting in that region.  That's why I knew I could safely use this overlay today.

For this page, I started with the map covered box from several days ago, then added the overlay.  When it was dry, I added the bottom ticket, then positioned the paper dolls on the ticket.  Lastly, I added the top ticket for interest and color.

Today is Day 14 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday, where I incorporated an overlay found at the curb and two tickets that were no longer valid for use. 

Thank you so much for joining me in this quest to recycle and reuse items that more than likely would have found their way to the trash or recycle bin.  Your visits mean more to me than you will know, and I often find inspiration when I visit your blogs, too.  Please join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey, too.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, glad you had fun making it, too - that's important. How nice to find so many things, too. I'm tired today, I walked 21 kilometer yesterday, but it was great. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous page dear Elizabeth! A fab use for overlays- looks fabulous! Happy Sunday and thank you so much for yet another fantastic idea shared with the girls at Art Journal Journey!
Susi xxx

RO said...

More great work, and I particularly love that it's from the 1960's. Something about items from the 40's, 50's and 60's truly fascinates me. Kudos! Hugs...RO

My name is Erika. said...

I love this page. You got lucky and found some great overlays also. (Found items are sometimes the best, aren't they? And they make you think about how you might use them which is a fun process in itself) I like how the overlay works on a map. Hmm, I might have to "borrow" that idea. And are those TH found relatives? I haven't seen that particular set before but I love them. I hope they have a good time at the fun park. But being kids, I am sure they will. have a great Sunday. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

The children look like they are going to have a super adventure, I love how you have used the map for the background. It is a fantastic page and I am sure you had fun creating it.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

So glad you had fun creating this page. And your title is making me hum the Beatles tune. Enjoy your day!

Caty said...

This is a so Fantastique and lovely Art page Elizabeth !! I love the way you have re-used the map pages, so clever!! I am thinking that I also have some maps anywhere (have to look at), and that I could recycle them too. Love the children on the ticket!
I wish you a very nice day, and send you big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm loving all the maps I'm seeing! I do like how you put this one together and am impressed by the variety of sources you have for your materials. You notice things :) Nice!

craftytrog said...

Fantastic page Elizabeth! I love it!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

Sandra said...

Clever title:) And I can't think of a better Ticket to Ride to than Asheville. Enjoy your weekend, dear Elizabeth.

WendyK said...

Wonderful page, love the way you are recycling your neighbours stuff as well as your own. It's very effective, love the overlays well as the layout.
Hugs Wendy

kathyinozarks said...

I love this page-great recycling too

Cindy McMath said...

Love this page! I particularly enjoyed the ticket for Asheville’s Fun Depot - that sounds like a great place! :)

Jeanie said...

I really love it when you use maps -- and they work so well with the vintage images. This is a page that really resonates with me. Framed and hanging on the wall!

Birgit said...

I love that you used a map as a background with the tickets and the children from many years ago. Cool image.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Really love this E!! Hugs, Chrisx