Monday, April 8, 2019

Lavender Fields Forever



I want to begin by explaining that I will probably be around less for the next three weeks than I envisioned.  My friend Sally has gone on vacation and has left me in charge of her two cats.  One is fine, the other has to have treatments four times a day.  Each time, it involves giving her cat a solution through a needle hooked to the bag.  You have no idea how much I hate needles.  You also have to be careful to place the needle in the exact perfect spot, or the treatment does no good.  At first, I didn't think I could do it, but over the course of a couple of days, I finally got over the queasy feeling I had and got it right.  However, that is at the very least, four hours a day I will be gone and I don't have access to her internet, either, since I didn't think to ask for her password.  That means that my visits will be shorter, my comments will be shorter, and my time making art will be shorter.  I hope you understand, because I didn't realize how long this would take when I agreed to take care of them.  And, NO, her girls (Lilly and Lovey) will not be staying at my house, because my boys are defensive enough as it is.

Today I'm joining Wendy from Wendy's Art and Craft Journal who is our host at Art Journal Journey this month.  Her theme is Having Fun.

I call this Lavender Fields Forever.

I had all these tissues, including dress maker tissue on my work table since I am working on my fabric paper.  I started this page as I did my fabric paper by gluing various tissues, this time onto a sheet of 110 lb card stock rather than fabric.

Then I added a portion of a calendar page from 2015.  Yes, I seem to keep EVERYTHING paper.

I was watering my lavender when I accidentally broke off a long sprig of lavender.  Suddenly,  I realized I could turn it into an embellishment for a journal page.

For Day 8 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday, I recycled tissue and a dress maker pattern and part of an old calendar page, along with a portion of live lavender I accidentally broke off from the main plant.  I then turned them into a journal page.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me on my recycling quest.  I am so grateful for your support of my art and recycling efforts.  Please also join me at Art Journal Journey, too.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That sounds like a big job looking after Sally's cats, good luck with getting them properly treated. Pity you don't have access to her internet. The lavender fields page is lovely. My lavender is just starting to grow again here. Have a great week, Valerie

Helen said...

love the lavender calendar page and hope your cat-sitting and treatment giving continues to go well! Shame you didn't get Sally's password

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I can almost smell those fields Elizabeth a beautiful page. I am hoping mine will do as well as it did last year as it's a wonderful place to sit and watch the Butterflies and Bee's. How kind of you to take over the responsibility of looking after Sally's cats what a lovely kind cat nurse you will be.
Take care & will catch up with you very soon. Hugs Tracey xx

RO said...

Wow! Sally sure is blessed to have a friend like you, but she knew you were the best person to handle her babies. I did see your message, and yes, it was me.(lol)I was determined to not be late this year. I absolutely adore the smell of lilac and lavender, and have heard they have soothing properties. Hugs and happy Monday! RO

Cath Wilson said...

I love fresh lavender and especially in fields ;-) This is a beautiful image, Elisabeth.
Hope you start to really enjoy the cats, despite the way you feel about needles. I don't think I'd find it easy, either... my son is diabetic and watching him jab himself with a needle in the stomach makes me feel queasy at times, although he's now so used to it he doesn't even bat an eyelid! A change is as good as a rest - so they say, lol.
Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

One of the things on my bucket list is to see lavender fields in bloom. This is really pretty Elizabeth and I love how you used your tissue paper and cloth background. Oh I get about you and needles. When my husband had heart surgery a few years back I had to give him a needle into his belly a couple times a day for a week or so. I was terrified and it still gives me the chills. Good luck with the cats. I am sure you will do fine but you just need to get your mind wrapped around it. Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

Mia said...

Your page is really fantastic, Elizabeth.
And I am so glad to see that you will take care of your friend's two cats. You are a very kind lady. Hugs, sweetie!!!

CJ Kennedy said...

That's a big commitment to take care of Sally's kitties. what a good friend you are. Your lavender page was pretty to start but with the addition of the lavender plant brilliant. I like how the green leaves brings out the green shrubberies in the background. I can almost smell the delicious fragrance. Be well.

kathyinozarks said...

I love lavender, and my one plant is definately coming with me to the lake-Loving your page and that it is recycled.
You are such an awesome friend Elizabeth-and that is a huge task with the extra health care for one kitty-No worries about us-hugs

Rike said...

Your "Lavender Fields Forever" is a very beautiful page!
Oh, I can understand very well what you worry about the needles ... I had to do it for my father for 4 weeks but I was not able - I organized a help, a friendly woman from the senior help came and did it.
Wish you good times for the next days! Rike xx

froebelsternchen said...

A rare beauty Elizabeth! I also love how you have taken the photo - looks so, so elegant ! Gorgeous!
A fabulous entry for AJJ!
Thumbs up!
Happy day!
Susixxx

Meggymay said...

This looks so beautiful, a page that makes me want to be able to smell the lavender. I love you you used the sprig of the lavender to decorate your page as well.
It sounds like you will be very busy with caring for Sally's cats. I'm sure she really appreciates your help. I think I would be a bit apprehensive as well having to use the needles.
Yvonne xx

Sami said...

The title reminded me of the Beatles song :) Nice page Elizabeth.

Talking about needles, I hate them too and remember many years ago when we had to give one of our cats an injection during a few days. Both my husband and I tried to hold the scruff of the neck and inject and I couldn't do it, and he put the needle right through to the other side. My kids still young just cried...
Needless to say we both gave up and we had to take the cat to a friend who was a nurse for the injections.

Good luck with Sally's cats.

WendyK said...

Gosh, I think I can smell the lavender. Gorgeous page Elizabeth, and great idea to use the spins of lavender to illustrate the photo.

Divers and Sundry said...

You are a saint for agreeing to do this! I know the cats are in good hands, but it will certainly eat up a large part of your day.

I love the lavender page. I've been trying to root some of my lavender cuttings, and that's going well so far. They are beautiful flowers :)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; totally understood; family; best friends, care of another being comes first.....blogging....later; your piece is very very nice. I hope the sub Q fluid's treatment go well; for what it's worth; I hope you know the cat doesn't feel a thing when this is done....truly ~~ honest to cod...

see you soon and our best to bleu squiggles lilly and lovey

♥♥♥♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! I can almost smell this! Your page is beautiful and I love how you added the real lavender!! Well done for getting the nack with the needle!!! Could you maybe take some craft materials with you and use the waiting time between shots on some days - I don't know how long you have to spend driving! I can quite understand Bluebeard and Squiggles not wanting more cats around!! Hugs, Chrisx

Linda Kunsman said...

oh how I love lavender and your page is just beautiful!! If only I lived nearby cuz I love to pet sit and being in the nursing field most of my life, needles are no problem:):) I once had to learn to give a parakeet a tiny needle for diabetes-no kidding! You are a very good friend to give up so much of your time to help your friend Sally, and of course, Lilly and Lovey will love you for it too!

craftytrog said...

What a good friend you are Elizabeth! I wish you luck with those injections!
I love the real lavender on your wonderful page!
Alison xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page! The image and background look perfect together 😁. So nice of you to look after Sally's cats, I'm pleased the treatment is going well as I don't like needles either so can totally relate. So sorry I'm so late visiting, it was my birthday last Wednesday and I've been out with family and friends so haven't had a lot of time, I'm just trying to play catch up now ...lol 😁. Creative wishes! J 😊 x

Caty said...

Woow Elizabeth , this is an absolutely GORGEOUS Art journal page !! Love love it, the background with these beautiful tissues is wonderful, and I like this calender page very much. Love the branch of your own lavender.
I´m sure you are a very good nurse for Sally ´s cat, and he will recover very soon. I understand you will be very busy during next days, so, don´t worry if you can´t visit us, it is not easy when we haven´t many time.
I wish you a very nice day, and send
Big hugs, Caty

Mrs.B said...

A lovely journal page, the picture of the lavender is beautiful, the smell must have been wonderful for that photographer.
Love gifts for you to use in your art and good luck with the recycling quest. It sounds like a very complicated job looking after Sally's cats, hope everything goes well.
Avril xx

Jeanie said...

The image you used is just beautiful. I'd love to see that in person.

I had to do what you are doing to Sally's cats for about five months with Gypsy. The first time I was incredibly freaked but he was such a champ -- probably because the fluids do make them feel better. You are a good friend to do that, though. Sally is very fortunate.

Thanks for your wonderful comment on all the travel posts, but especially the wrap-up. We certainly treated Jenny and T as well as our friend in Paris -- and you're right, it's not inexpensive but so worth it! Rick is very big on hostels, some of which are rather nice and you have your own room. I would consider that, perhaps, another time.