Monday, April 1, 2019

April is here. It has begun.


This is April and every year in April, I like to share ideas about how to rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, or repurpose something in order to save it from the trash, and ultimately to save our planet.  Which of course, leads to respect: respect for our planet, respect for trash as art, and respect for what you and I as artists can achieve.   This all leads up to Earth Day on April 22, or as I prefer to call it, bEARTHday.

Later today I will share something I recycled, but for now, let me give you a brief overview of a few items I have made in the past.

I got an excellent response when I shared these repurposed keys I turned into brooches.

Although I have learned to NOT use black plastic as the background, I made this

and these among others last year.  I hope to create a few more this year, too.

These I turned into hooks will NOT be on my agenda this year!  I nearly killed my hands trying to stamp and bend these keys.  However, they were fun an experiment I chose to make once!

One thing I love to make during April is at least one assemblage.  For this piece I deconstructed an old cordless telephone.  I also used gifted tissue.

We all have those ugly wire hangers no one wants.  Even the thrift stores don't want them.  I looked for a way to use a few of mine, and came up with a bird cage.  I recycled two hangers, a stick from my yard, a piece of twine that had been used to tie down some wood I purchased, and a chipped plate from my Grandmother's dishes.

I also made this using one wire hanger

and tons of tiny scraps of hand dyed or hand painted fabric.

I also like to recycle silverware.  I turned this spoon into a bird's nest using a small plastic egg, bits of leftover vintage sheet music, and bits of sewing thread  and dyed shredded paper.

I've even been known to "make" a bit of jewelry, like this one, using the leftover spring from a clothespin the wind tore apart on the clothes line.

Of course, I do bits of sewing, and paper crafting, too.  I hope to see you this month as I create 22 days worth of art leading up to bEARTHday.

17 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I am sure you are going to have a busy and creative month leading up to your bEARTHday. have fun!

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like you will be having lots of fun this month, enjoy! Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

You will host a wonderful MONTH to honor Mother Earth in an artsy sustainability! I am really looking forward to your postings this month my dear Dr.E.!
These ideas you had already in the past are incredible!
Thank you for reshowing them to get our creative juices flowing!

Have fun !

So Wendy's theme fits perfect for this purpose of rethinking, reducing, reusing, recycling, re-inventing, redesigning, re-crafting, recovering, restoring, rebuilding, revamping, reclaiming, or repurposing something in order to save it from the trash!
I am excitied about your April Adventure my friend!
Happy start of April!

Susi

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Cindy McMath said...

A great selection of upcycled materials! I know I have seen most of these but I loved seeing them all together.

Nancy said...

That's quite an array of lovely recycled projects! I look forward to more for April.

Jeanie said...

Wow -- I might have to make a spoon like that -- it's so pretty and quite perfect for the season. Heaven knows I have enough eggs and moss to fill Michael's naturals aisle. And I love the birdcage. I went on a Joan Crawford binge a year or two ago and threw out all the wire hangers. I think Rick might still have a few. I may need to raid his closet!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been looking forward to this series. Thx! The more we can keep out of the landfills the better :)

Susan Kane said...

You have such an eye for the possibilities!

Do you sell these? I'd be interested!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yay! It's April .........I do so love your April posts! Hugs, Chrisxx

CJ Kennedy said...

Your reuse of things is so clever. Hard to pick out a favorite. Enjoy the first day of your BEARTHday month.

kathyinozarks said...

Happy April-enjoy your month of recycling!! I love doing that too-love your use of the clothes pin spring-very clever!!
Hugs

Meggymay said...

Sounds like we are going to see many awesome recycling projects this month.
I loved seeing these photos of your older projects.
Yvonne xx

Darla said...

I really look forward to your April posts. Such creativity. I spotted some new to me creations in your selection. I adore that tiny birds nest in a spoon. Looking forward to what wonderful recycling ideas you show us this year.

My name is Erika. said...

i enjoyed seeing these projects again. The key brooches are definitely my favorites, but you are definitely a recycling queen! Hugs-Erika

Birgit said...

Your key jewelry is really unique and very cool to sell. Love the write birdcage with the cardinal and the old plate forthe bottom. You really know how to repurpose which shows the creative mind at work.

Dianne said...

wow, lots of posts for the beginning of April! You always entertain and amaze me with the variety of recycling projects you do, and it's so fun to see what you come up with! The key brooches are my favorite, but they're all unique and wonderful!