Saturday, February 23, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the movies:


My internet friends CJ and occasionally Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

As I explained before, one thing you should know about my choice of films.  You won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.  For this film, I give you some big names, and a political spy thriller.  I actually picked this film after seeing CJ's choice of actors last week.

No Way Out is a 1987 film starring Kevin Costner, a U.S. Navy Lieutenant who falls in love with Sean Young, who plays Susan Atwell, who is also the mistress of Gene Hackman who plays Secretary of Defense (SecDev) David Brice.  One night, after an interrupted tryst with Costner, Young hears Hackman arrive unexpectedly.  Hackman sees Costner run away, but doesn't know who it is.

An argument between Young and Hackman ensues and Hackman accidentally kills her.  He calls his buddy Scott Prichard who is played by Will Patton.  Patton cleans up the mess and suggests Hackman say the murder was caused by a Russian spy named Yuri.

Hackman tasks Costner to find Yuri, the man a witness saw run away, and who Hackman tells Costner he believes killed Young.  This means Costner is looking for himself.

After lots of twists and turns, including the cover-up by both Costner and Patton that eventually kills Sam Hesselman, played by George Dzundza,

Hackman lies and says Patton was a homosexual and must be Yuri.  Patton kills himself, the cover-up is complete, and Yuri is dead.

Costner is picked up by two men who see him at Young's grave.  They take him to a safe house, where it is revealed his is actually Yuri, the Soviet mole.  Costner refuses to return to Russia because of his love of Young.

I was impressed by what Richard Schickel of Time Magazine wrote about this film:
Viewers who arrive at the movie five minutes late and leave five minutes early will avoid the setup and payoff for the preposterous twist that spoils this lively, intelligent remake of 1948's The Big Clock.
Thanks for joining me today.  I have no idea where to find this movie without "renting" it, but YouTube has it for $2.99 (USD), or you might be able to see it free by joining IMDb using your Google account.  I saw it on TV several years ago.  I hate to admit this, but it feels a bit like current day U.S. political events with Russian collusion, lies, and cover-ups.

13 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

I will look if I can find it on Netflix in German.I am not sure - I think I have seen this film already but it isn't my favourite genre of film so I maybe have forgotten about it. Sounds quite interesting and I like Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman!
Thank you for the review!
Big hugs
Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

It sounds like nothing in the political scene has altered since then. My fave films were the Harry Potter ones, and perhaps a couple of others in the course of the years, but that's about it. I prefer books to films any day. Have a great weekend and hope you are feeling better, Valerie

chrissie said...

Sounds like a good film Elizabeth will add it to my list.Thankm you for sharing this with us.

My favourite film is Moulin Rouge with Ewan McGregagor and Nicole Kidman I cry everytime I watch it. I also like lots of old black and white films and musicals from the fifties.

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

It does sound a good film. The plot seemed familiar, maybe I had seen it and forgotten or read the book which I looked up The big clock by Kenneth Fearing.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know this film either. (I say either as I didn't know CJ's film). I thought I had seen most of Kevin Costner's films, but the word most is appropriate here. Hope it's a good Saturday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't think I've heard of this one. And yes, the plot sounds very much like current events.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed your plot description. I've never heard of this movie. I'm finding it interesting to see folks post the movies and see which ones I've heard of and watched.


(just as an aside: The old favorite film meme from FB isn't about reviews, as I've seen it. I've seen the same thing done on FB with books, where you just name one favorite or influential one a day, specifically without comment. It's interesting to see them posted each day, just a mention a day in my FB feed. Reviews are a whole 'nother concept, and blogs allow more space for description. I like both approaches, but they're definitely different.)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Wow, what a great plot! So many twists and turns. I also like many of Kevin Costner's other films, as well as Gene Hackman's films. Terrific share. Thanks.

kathyinozarks said...

I have not heard of this movie before-sounds good though-thanks

Rita said...

This was a good movie! I remember seeing it back when. Your review makes me want to watch it again. :)

Sami said...

I remember seeing this film many years ago. It's a good movie for sure!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I certainly haven't seen this film but a young Kevin Costner would be watchable!! I read Chrissies comment and Moulin Rouge is one of my all time favourites, along with Zulu and Dr Zhivago. As you know we do visit the cinemas quite a lot and there were some good films last year! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

It's been ages since I saw that! Thanks for the reminder!