Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Chinese New Year (a day late)


Yesterday was Chinese New Year, the biggest holiday in the Chinese calendar.

I found this on the internet and thought how great it would be for Rike at Rike's Art theme who is this month's host at Art Journal Journey with the color yellow.

Of course, I had to make my own tribute to this holiday, which I learned nearly 20% of the planet celebrates.

Starting with a bit of the Chinese Zodiac,

I give you the Year of the Pig.  Actually, it is the year of the Earth Pig.


"You will overcome difficulties" is a Chinese fortune from a fortune cookie I colored red.

This new year is 4717,

which began on February 5, 2019.

The celebration lasts for 15 days and culminates with the Lantern Festival, which is February 19 this year.  I always use these Chinese Lanterns each Chinese New Year that my dear friend Cindy sent me years ago.  I hoard them and only use them for this special event. 

The Chinese zodiac has 60 symbols.  The first ring represents the 12 animals of the zodiac.  The animals repeat after every 12th year.   As I noted earlier, this is the year of the Earth Pig.  This corresponds to the ring that includes the specific elements.  For example, you may have been born in the Year of the Pig, but your sign depends on other things like the elements water, wood, fire, earth, or metal.  Here is the breakdown:
1923, 1983 (Water Pig)
1935, 1995 (Wood Pig)
1947, 2007 (Fire Pig)
1959, 2019 (Earth Pig)
1971, 2031 (Metal Pig)
There are also times of the day represented in the 24 hour clock that must be considered.  You also must consider the Yin and Yang.  For example, there is Yin wood and and Yang wood, and for the pig there is Yin earth and Yang earth.  This is the year of the Yin Earth Pig.  Although quite complicated, this seems to work well for Chinese who wish to find their true mate.

For this page, I began by printing the pig and coloring it with yellow ink.  I then glued it to a sheet of 110 lb cardstock.  Next, I added bits of the Chinese zodiac, which is actually joss paper.  Next, I colored computer/printer paper red, then added the words using a gold metallic gel pen.  Finally, I added the fortune I thought sounded appropriate.  Unfortunately, the reds I chose were pink reds, not orange reds like the zodiac calendar.

Thank you so much for spending time with me today.  I know I don't say it often enough, but I am so grateful for your visits.  I hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey with your yellow inspired art, too.


20 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Your page to honor the Chinese New Year is simply fantastic and so appropriate to Rike's Yellow theme! Gorgeous!What a fab idea! I love it!
Happy Year of the Earth Pig dear Elizabeth. May the Pig bring good luck to our planet! This would be wonderful!

Happy day dear Dr.E.! Hope you feel already a bit more relaxed meanwhile my friend!

Big hugs,Susi

chrissie said...

This is a terrific post Elizabeth and full of info for us to learn more about the Year of the Pig.

Hope you are feeling more relaxed now and that your friend is doing ok

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Words and Pictures said...

Happy Year of the Pig - and your pig certainly looks happy... what a great image, and such positive words (that's a good fortune cookie!) to meet the new lunar year.
Alison x

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great pig on your page Elizabeth. I enjoyed this page. I didn't know that 20% of the planet celebrates nor that it is broken down into different kinds of pigs. I do know that when my daughter and I went to get a pedicure the other afternoon (she is off to Florida this weekend and wanted her toes painted) we had a hard time finding a place still open since the owners and workers were all getting ready to celebrate the holiday. I wonder how they actually celebrate since I don't live in a place with a big Chinatown. Thanks for this cool page. I have one to share tomorrow from my calendar this week. Happy Wednesday-hugs-Erika

Rike said...

What interesting information! I think the Chinese calendar is very complicated and I am surprised that they now have the year 4717. But on the first picture there is 2019 YEAR OF THE PIG.
Your pig is lovely - black on the yellow background fabulous! - and the quote from the fortune cookie is magical, and the hanging lanterns too! Great you only use them on this special event!
Thank you so much for this fantastic entry to my theme at AJJ!
Rike xx

CJ Kennedy said...

i love the pig on your page and the fortune cookie saying. i had no idea about the layers of the Chinese zodiac. I thought it was just the 12 animals.

Jeanie said...

Happy New Year, Elizabeth. And thanks for the extra info on the New Year. I don't know all that much about it. But I love the page! Seems very fitting.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your page. I had no idea the observance lasted so long!

peggy gatto said...

Nicely designed!!!
Happy new year!

Caty said...

WWooo What a so gorgeous Art page Elizabeth !! I really love it, because it is wonderful and so clever. Love the lintern, the chinese zodiac, and your words to, the pig looks very happy to be there. And this is my ""year " too !! Many couples want to have a baby this year, they think it ´s a good year for happiness and money..... let´s see !!
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send you big hugs.
Take care.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

your art piece is nice Elizabeth, and I never knew there was so much involved with their "zodiac" interesting stuff !! ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic Year of the Pig page, you found a super image to use, he looks happy and contented. I enjoyed reading your post and all the additional information you shared with us.
Yvonne xx

Sandra Cox said...

Once again, you've broadened my horizons. I didn't realize it was Year of the Pig.
I love those silver lanterns:)
xs

Rita said...

Now those are really cute pigs! ;)
I didn't know there were differences in the animal symbols when you were born. I will have to google my rabbit. Thanks! :)

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page Elizabeth! Perfect for your yellow theme. Glad you are still enjoying the lanterns! Xo

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful artwork. I didn't realize there were this many facets to the Chinese animal. I thought it was simply whatever year you were born in, you were that animal. I didn't know there were subsets for the type for the animal.

As an FYI, I put together a GIMP Crop Tool tutorial. If you get a chance, see what you think. It might be a little long winded, but I was trying to include all of the relevant details. You can find it here:

http://annescreativecornucopia.blogspot.com/2019/02/gimp-tutorial-1-getting-started-with.html

(A while ago, I had written a long GIMP installation post, but it doesn't apply anymore, because GIMP has several things built into it now, that it didn't in the past. So it was kind of fun to write the tutorial, even if you don't use GIMP.)

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy! Chinese New Year is BIG here in San Francisco. But then we celebrate just about everything. I went to Chinatown and picked up fire crackers wrappers and I am making collages with them.....and I had to slurp some good luck noodles too.....

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I love the cute folk art pig on your page, Elizabeth, as well as the fortune. I never knew many things you shared about the Chinese calendar. Wonderful addition to AJJ's yellow theme.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy belated Chinese new year although I believe it is celebrated for a few more days after the official date. I am aware of the signs and their values but to read about the different elements I did not know. Year of the Earth pig is a new discovery for me, thank you for passing this knowledge on. I appear to have missed so much over the past few day.
Thank you for your patience, i'm getting round slowly.
Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Love that bright golden pig x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this page.....love pigs too, my Grandad used to rear them! Love the very appropriate fortune cookie too! A great celebration page and loved reading what you found out! Hugs,Chrisx