Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Cats


Susi and I are so pleased that this month our host at Art Journal Journey is Rike of Rike's Art.  She is an excellent host and has created some wonderful art and visited everyone who has linked to AJJ.  For that we thank you, Rike.  As for the challenge, Rike wants us to use yellow in our art.  As much as I would have preferred to play more, this will more than likely be my final entry this month.

I wanted to show my first layer of this latest spread, but my camera decided the batteries were dead.  Rather than wait for batteries to recharge, I decided to scan the page.  Sadly, no amount of color correcting in Photoshop could make up for the fact my scanner is on its last leg.

This is the finished entry I simply call Cats.   I realize it looks rather wonky, but that's because I normally stand on a step stool to photograph my pages.  However, I had taken it to the craft room to get paint from one of the upper shelves.  I didn't want to bring it back until I returned the paint, but didn't realize how hard it would be to get the page aligned correctly when I couldn't stand over it.

A few step out photos to show the various layers.













For this page, I began by adding yellow acrylic craft paint to what was left of my hand made texture paste.  Unfortunately, even though I added way too much yellow paint, it only changed the texture and not the color!  Next I colored the 110 lb. card stock yellow.  Then I built up the cats, using 8 pieces of postcard weight paper.

Earlier I had spray painted the lengths of cardboard for a different project I decided to scrap, so I cut the strips to size.  Finally,  I added the hearts, also taken from the project I decided to scrap.  I'm glad I did, because I like this one better.  

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I'm always delighted when you drop by.  I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, too.  You still have time to join the sunny yellow fun.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

Loving cats too, I think it's a pretty page, and I love the addition of the hearts in the corner.
Have a nice week Elizabeth.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful journal page, the cats are great. Have a wonderful day, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's certainly brought the sunshine out in the UK Elizabeth. I think Rike has made many people love Yellow a little bit more this past month. I love your additional harlequin texture and hearts.
Hope you are now feeling better after the food poisoning issue?
Take good care of yourself Hugs Tracey x

froebelsternchen said...

Cats are wonderful and so is your gorgeous page! A fabulous last entry for this month's theme at AJJ dear Elizabeth!
Thank you for all the work you did for our baby AJJ this month again!
I set the host button - left sidebar. Will send it to Alison and Rike soon.
Big hugs,

Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

You had me at Cats. Really loving the dimensional diamond background. Enjoy your day

Rike said...

I love cats - and it's a great gift that your last entry for my theme "Yellow" is a page with two little cute kittens on a bright yellow background! These black paper stripes are a fabulous contrast to the yellows, and the two 3D hearts a very fine addition to the whole page!
After all your troubles with this piece it ended up wonderful!
Thank you so much for linking it to AJJ and especially thank you for all your support and your nice words about my theme!
Wish you a happy rest of the week and all the best for your health!
Rike xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely Elizabeth. I like all of the dimensions to it. And aren't kittens adorable? Who could ever resist one, who saw one? (I have an adorable kitten picture of my cat that I might re-post on second on the second, but I have a few posts that are candidates, like getting to see the inside of "the" Sleepy Hollow church, etc.)

craftytrog said...

What a great page with those sweet kitties! I love the textured background and hearts too Elizabeth!
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love each element and the arrangement of this. And now I'm googling how to make my own texture paste :)

My day ran away with me yesterday, and so now I'm going back to the T Tuesday post and visit everybody. Better late than never, I guess lol

da tabbies o trout towne said...

ya bee postin a peace bout R fave o rite subject !!! with wavez two ewe bleu N squiggles frum all oh uz in de land oh trout !! ~~~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

It is a gorgeous page, great textures and colours but I have to say I adore the image of the kittens . I hope your Bleubeard and Squiggles approved and weren't jealous that you didn't use a photo of them on the page.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Love me some cats! LOL! :)

sheila 77 said...

Aaawww sweet picture of the kittens with the green hearts.
Scanners have minds of their own. Mine behaved dreadfully for months then decided to work perfectly again, but I'm not holding my breath. And I sympathise with the problem of trying to get a page aligned photo.

Jeanie said...

How could one resist a post called "Cats"? And yellow, too! I love it -- makes me feel all sunny just looking at it!

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous journal pages, love the great colours.x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this Elizabeth! The texture is great even if it isn't quite what you planned! I love the idea of you standing on a stool to take photos! I have a photo area right by my window but it also a drying area so if it has something wet on it I have often resorted to taking photos on the door mat with the door open to get some light!! Hugs, Chrisx