Monday, January 7, 2019

This is NOT a cooking blog


I am not much of a cook.  I never could follow a recipe and, although it is my belief one's food experience begins with the plating and visual experience, none of that shows today.

I LOVE squash.  I love all kinds of squash.  What I DON'T LOVE is trying to cut the hard winter squashes, then cooking them.  Instead, I bake them an hour in my oven at 300 degrees F (150 C, Gas mark 2).  The upside to this is, the shells cut like butter once you do this.  The downside is, you can't save the seeds.

This was the easiest recipe of all.  I first removed the seeds from the acorn squash, then I simply added 2 T butter, 1/4 c brown sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp cloves, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.  I placed the acorn squash in the oven at the same temperature as before for 15 minutes or until everything was melted and gooey.

The spaghetti squash was first cut in half, then the seeds removed.  Next, I scraped inside the squash with a fork, turning it into spaghetti strands.  I added butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, and onion.  It was baked as above for 15 minutes.

I made a spaghetti sauce, but didn't add it till I got to Scott's, where we were sharing an early Christmas dinner. 

Sauce
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 T fresh basil, chopped
1 T dried oregano
2 bay leaves

Saute onions and garlic until tender in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 4 hours.  Remove bay leaves and add grated parmesan before serving.
 
I had just placed my butternut squash concoction in a container and went to get my camera when Scott scooped it up and took it to his car.  All that was left was the empty container of my favorite dish! 

While the other two squash were in the oven, I toasted about a cup of walnuts and about a cup of almonds on an ungreased baking sheet for about 10 minutes.  Once cooled, I chopped them into bite sized pieces.

To make the butternut squash, I first peeled my 3 lb. squash, then halved it.  I removed the seeds, then cut it into bite size cubes.  I peeled two sweet potatoes and cut them in bite size cubes, too.  I then cut a large red onion into fairly large pieces.  To those, I added snow peas and Brussels sprouts.  Once tossed, I melted 4 T butter, then added the mixture to the pan.  I covered the pan and cooked for about 20 minutes.

While the squash was cooking, I chopped about 1/2 cup fresh parsley.  When the squash concoction had cooked, I removed it from the pan and added the walnuts, almonds, and parsley.  I can attest, this was my favorite of all the squashes I made.

I assure you this is NOT a cooking blog and I am NOT a cook.  But it was fun sharing the various squashes I made for Christmas and I even got my Brussels sprouts in.  Thanks for joining me today in my kitchen and at my dining room table.  I really appreciate your visit.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

I've heard of spaghetti squash but never seen it here (where I shop anyway). I love all squashes and usually also do them in the oven, but just put butter or olive oil. Will have to try with the spices and sugar. Thanks Elizabeth.

Valerie-Jael said...

Squash and sprouts, sounds good. Glad you enjoyed your meal with Scott. See you later at TSFT, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I love squash too. I usually add a little maple syrup but I have never added nuts to them. That would be go. I am allergic to almonds but give me the walnuts or maybe pecans would taste good too. I like this suggestion a lot. Yum! Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I never think of baking the squash a bit to make it easier to cut. I'm not much of a cook, either. I love acorn squash with butter and brown sugar. Sadly, the Winter squashes are not keto.

Darla said...

This post was a reminder that I need to pick up some winter squash at the grocery store. I've been cooking butternut squash in various ways and kind of ignoring the rest of the squash family. Haven't had spaghetti squash in ages.

Nancy said...

Cutting squash when it's not cooked- you are right, it's a challenge! Had to laugh at the disappearing container of food- that seems to happen to me often, too. I have something "almost ready", go to get the final whatever to pack or add, come back to find it's in the car. Eager helpers are good, but you'll have to guard the squash until it's ready to go!

Jeanie said...

I think that looks delicious. Squash is one of those foods I discovered late in life and I especially love it roasted! It's good winter food!

Divers and Sundry said...

I hear you lol I'm not a cook either, but that means I'm always on the lookout for something easy ;) This sounds worth trying, as I've never cooked butternut squash before. Thanks! :)

Sandra Cox said...

Yum! I'll be right over!

froebelsternchen said...

I LOVE squash and eat it a lot! I am sure that was delicious! Great way with the spaghetti sauce!

Happy new week dear Elizabeth!
Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

I like your idea of the spaghetti sauce with the squash and the other recipe
for the acorn squash sounds delicious as well.
It sounds like you will have had a lovely meal over at Scotts.
Yvonne xx

peppylady (Dora) said...

It's been a while since I had squash and do like them.
Coffee is on

aussie aNNie said...

Never tried squash [except for lemon squash drink], slightly different obviously. What an interesting post, love what you post us to read each time..you are inspiring.
Thanks for your comment on my mixed media.xx

Jerold said...

I want to use this opportunity to appreciate Dr Ekpen for the good work that his doing around the world, many of you must have ahead of him and what his doing. The reason why I'm appreciating him on this site is because maybe someone out there is facing the same challenge and he/she don't know what to do next to fix the issue, Dr Ekpen is a great spell caster and friendly also, if you have problem in your relationship you can contact him right way and he will be clad to help you out. Contact him now via email at ekpentemple@gmail.com or on whatsaap +2347050270218.