Sunday, January 20, 2019

I'm so blue


I feel like I hit the trifecta today.  I figured a way to honor my three favorite challenges with a single entry.  Don't you love it when that happens? 

First, I'm once again joining Alison/Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Geometric Shapes.   Second, I'm joining Moo-Mania & More with their Cold and Frosty Colors theme this fortnight.  Finally, I am joining Try it on Tuesday's latest challenge Something Old, Something New, their latest theme this fortnight.

"You left me sitting here."

Everything is blue.

Doesn't she look sad?

It's because she's been left alone

all by herself 

on this big blue ball.

"Now I am really

really,

really

blue."

Now for a few close-ups.




When my paper molds were no longer usable, I still wanted to make handmade paper (hmp).  I had these huge screens left over from a home improvement project.  I kept pouring pulp on the screen, building up layer after layer so the paper itself became the substrate.  I especially love the texture I get as the layers build up from the different pourings.  I would never send this paper to anyone, but it makes great backgrounds and stand alone pieces.

For this page, I began with a sheet of my handmade paper, which is old, blue, and rectangular (5 X 13 inches; 12,7 X 33 centimeters).  I added the paper doll, which isn't new, but I've never used her.  To her I added a wash of water soluble crayon, which is not new.  The slick coating on the doll made it difficult for the crayon to not pool on the doll.   The circle is new, but the circle cutter I used is old.  Circles are definitely geometric in shape.  The butterflies are fresh out of a pack sent to me by my dear friend Susi for my birthday last year.  In fact, this entire piece was inspired by a journal page Susi recently created using some of my handmade paper.  Finally, the sentiments were colored blue, are rectangles, and outlined using a blue gel pen, which is definitely not new.

I'm a bit late posting today, but I certainly appreciate you taking part of your day to join me.  Please also visit Art Journal Journey with Alison's Geometric Shapes theme, Moo-Mania & More with their Cold and Frosty Colors theme and Try it on Tuesday with their Something Old, Something New theme.



22 thoughtful remarks:

craftytrog said...

Wow! This is a fantastic page on your handmade paper Elizabeth! The little girl is so sweet on her blue ball. I hope she finds her friends again soon!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xox

Jeannette said...

loving your cute girl of here big ball,love the butterflys too.
your page tell a beautiful memories,love this.
happy sunday,dear elizabeth.


hugs jenny

Valerie-Jael said...

That cute little girl looks great on the background of home-made paper. Have a great Sunday, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

To start I can tell you that your clever handmade substrate looks amazing! The layout is gorgeous and I can relate to this lovely girl, she may feel the same as I often do : "They once put me on earth and now I am here alone and have to deal with problems - they told me my soul have to learn here for the eternity. They told me it's my planet, but I often feel like a stranger or a grain of rice amongst billions."
The butterflies fit the background so well as their mulberry paper echoes your wonderful background!
They will guide her the way to her soul!
A fantastic entry and I can imagine how happy it made to meet three challenges at one stroke. Thank you for joining us at TioT, Moo Mania & More and thank you for your nice shout out for me and your support of our beloved AJJ collection!
Happy Sunday Rocking horse Queen of Mixed Media!
Hugs, Susi

Rosie said...

Just wonderful artwork

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Rosie said...

... and I say also

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

aussie aNNie said...

Hand made paper what a fabulous creative lady....loving your post.xx

Cath Wilson said...

What a fab page, Elisabeth. LOVE your handmade paper. I love the way everything fits so perfectly - the look on her face, the butterflies, the words - poor little lost girl and, as Susi says, how often do we feel that way? I know I certainly do!

I have to admit to having to look up Trifecta - a totally new one on me. But yes, you did it! Three challenges in one and so beautifully done.

Thanks, too, for joining us at Try it on Tuesday this week.

Cath x

Nancy said...

Hand-made paper yet! That's impressive.

Cindy McMath said...

A lovely page! I am impressed you are able to collage onto such a textured surface - it really gives a nice effect. And the image and sentiment are perfect for your themes! Lovely!

Sandra Cox said...

I love it! Enjoy your Sunday, my friend.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm always struck by your handmade paper and even have one of those little kits bookmarked thinking how much fun it would be to use my own handmade paper for ATCs. You always inspire :)

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you have warmed up a bit. I wish I could send some of my wood stove heat your way. The storm here has been mostly sleet today, at least since I got up, but there is some snow mixed with it. It is keeping our levels of snow down (smile) and so far no ice on the trees. And congrats on the trifecta and hitting 3 challenges with one piece. It's a great page. I think if someone left me sitting by myself someplace I would be blue too. The paper adds great texture. Hope you are snuggled up in lots of warm clothes and the cold doesn't hang around very long. And should I say it? Go Pats. Either way it should be a good game. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

Wow the handmade base layer is fabulous and of course I love the page you created. I think the little girl looks quite thoughtful not sad. If she still feels blue I hope the pretty butterflies will cheer her up.
Thank you for adding this wonderful page to out Try it on Tuesdays theme .
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

The handmade paper is awesome. Sweet when all your design challenges fall into place. As Erika said, Go Pats. Should be a good game.

kathyinozarks said...

Great piece, Loving your handmade paper with all the textures, and the hand stitches too

Sami said...

I remember learning to make paper in school, no longer remember how.
Nice page Elizabeth.
Have a lovely week.

Krisha said...

Oh, I do love this page, especially your homemade background paper.....such rich texture!!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Elizabeth, love the texture your hand made paper gives and the paper doll really does look sad and blue after being left alone.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday
Avril x

Jeanie said...

Oh my! Your page is fabulous. Love the paper, the texture, the image, the fact you did the paper, and every single thing about it! Wonderous!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! I love your homemade paper, the texture is amazing and seems the perfect background for your TH paper doll sitting on her new blue circle 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I saw this at the weekend but couldn't comment - I love this littel girl and I'm sorry she's blue!!! Thank you for joining Try It On Tuesday! Chrisxx