Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The new Olds!


I'm once again joining Erika aka BioArtGal who is hosting Art Journal Journey this month with her theme Vintage or Modern.  This will be my final AJJ entry this month, so I want to thank Erika for hosting and creating such wonderful art.  Susi and I are both proud and thrilled with both her hosting and her art.

Today is definitely vintage.

Even the dates convey that.

As do the cars.



We are looking at the new Olds!


For this page, I began by adding various dye inks to a baby wipe, then swiping the wipe on a page of 110 lb card stock.  I enlarged a Date Due card from an old library book, then colored it with tea and walnut ink.  I resized the two cars, cut them and rounded their corners.  Then I added the words using a gel pen.

For those of you who may not know, the word "Olds" stands for Oldsmobile, an American car originally manufactured by the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897.  It was the first mass produced car and the first to incorporate an assembly line.    Many people believe that distinction goes to Henry Ford, but Olds started it in 1901.  Ford was the first to manufacture cars on a moving assembly line, so this is the distinction.

General Motors, one of the big 3 automobiles in the U.S. today, purchased the company in 1908.  Olds was always ahead of its time, the first to offer automatic transmissions, V8 engines, and first American front-wheel drive, to name just a few.

Sadly, in the late 1990s, GM was more interested in GM brands and decided to shut down the Olds line.  Even though the Olds SUV sold better than GM's model, GM could not be swayed.  An interesting tidbit I found on Wikipedia:
The Oldsmobile division's last completed production car was an Alero GLS 4-door sedan, which was signed by all of the Olds assembly line workers. It was on display at the R. E. Olds Transportation Museum located in Lansing, Michigan, until GM's bankruptcy when they retook possession of the car. It is now located at the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
Bleubeard and I are so happy you chose to join us today and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey.



For Day 28 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), I created a journal page.
 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, those cars always looked good. Enjoy your day, Valerie

johanna said...

i LOVE this one, elizabeth! the process of creating... and i must say it looks like the drivers were more superior in the snow situation as many are today *g*... i suppose this was a promo-pic of the company, very well arranged.
it was nice to read the info about the "olds", too!
have a great week!

froebelsternchen said...

Wow - this page is a wowser- such a perfect layout - I love it. And I learnt something new as well - great info about the olds!
Thank you for bringing something new to me and for yet another fab page for AJJ!

Happy day dear Co.-Admin!
You are so rigth, we can be very proud about Erika's hosting! She rocks!

Big hugs,Susi

Meggymay said...

Super information about the 'olds' cars. I do think these older styles look much more road worthy than today's modern cars and much more comfortable to take a journey in.
It is a fabulous page .
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

A fab page, Elisabeth and a brilliant idea to use the old library plate as a backdrop. I love that idea. It makes me think of all those people whose hands it's been in... I love books and the big drawback about Kindle books is that they can't be shared with other people. My friends and I often share series of books and it's so exciting to get the next one in the series... you miss all that with ebooks! Loads of info, too - lovely tidbits to think about. I'd never heard of 'Olds'.

Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

So many car companies have come and gone just in my life. Saturns, SAABS, Oldmobiles...but I do really like this page and the vintage feel it has. I really like the old cars and the happy people in them. It must have been quite the day when people went out driving in their Sunday best. That's something that has disappeared too. Thanks so much for all your support this month at AJJ. It is very much appreciated! Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

A terrific page Elizabeth! I love the old cars and the library card. Wonderful.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your page brought happy memories. I learned to drive on an Oldsmobile. Dad had an F-85 and the color was Nocturne Mist. Love the name of the color. It Was a real smooth drive. Though in order to see over the dash, I had to sit on the Boston Yellow Pages.

kathyinozarks said...

I really love this piece too-I love this "style" of collage that you create allot very neat effects
Thanks much again for your comments-yes we eat only real food-real butter real cream no processed foods for the most part-I pick up a kringle once in awhile but i have stopped that. I am looking at my baking a different way now to obtain good tasting dessert treats with very low carbs. I forgot that you were a scientist-hugs thanks again

Haddock said...

Like the collage of the new olds.

sheila 77 said...

There's something about old cars, something romantic and special. I also like that you combined them with the old library card. Now we book out our library books ourselves, ah the good old days when we stood in a queue and used library tickets. I enjoyed seeing the processes by which you made this with all the descriptions and photos.
I'm also glad I've made Bleubeard happy, that is a day well spent.
Love from Sheila.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the dates on that library book :) The old-style cars suit me better than the more modern silhouettes. Your arrangement works well, and I always like your collages.

TammyVitale said...

This is fun (and yes I knew "Olds" but I didn't know the info you got from Wiki so that was interesting)! Thanks for the tip on ink and baby wipes. I will have to try that.

Sandra Cox said...

Excellent! I loved the library card in the background:)
I don't think anyone is too happy with GM right now, again.
Hope your day has been productive and your evening is pleasant.

Neet said...

Love your Oldsmobiles - a term I was not familiar with. Great page and I love how the colour has turned out.
Hugs to you and the two fur babies
Neet x
ps I cannot upload my latest page - tried several times - did you have a problem?

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I didn't know that about Oldsmobile. Your card is a beautiful tribute. Love the use of the library card, which is also mostly part of the history now.

-Soma

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this page and how you made your background! Thank you for the info on the Oldsmobile! Hugs,Chrisx