Wednesday, November 14, 2018

More eco-dyeing and results


I completely forgot that I promised to share my first completed eco-dyed fabric using a copper pipe to wrap my fabric.  I have started another dyeing projects and will share that today, too.

To refresh your memory, this is the first piece of bed sheet I eco-dyed this autumn.  Instead of a rusty pipe, I used a copper pipe and some well worn copper pennies.

This is what I found when I unwrapped the bed sheet the next day.

Here it is in all its glory after it had been washed and dried.

It was too long to get it in one shot.

The back side was underwhelming.

An area I thought came out great.

I attribute that to my blackberry leaves.

I only have one copper pipe, so I decided this bed sheet would use nearly dead wild sunflowers

and various leaves from my yard, along with a few pennies.  This will take two days to steam and cool, so I will show the results later in the week or possibly next week.

Thank you for joining me today


as I revealed my first completed and dried eco-dyed bed sheet, and started a new piece using a few flowers and leaves from my yard.  This is Day 14 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM).






19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You got some interesting results. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new piece will turn out. Have a great day, Valerie

johanna said...

cool, elizabeth! do you iron the fabric before you wash it? to get more fixation maybe?
i´m glad you label these posts with "eco dye", so they are a good source to come back to.
xox

Meggymay said...

Great results Elizabeth. The area where those blackberry leaves were situated does look lovely.
I look forward to seeing how the next piece turns out for you.
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

Love this, Elisabeth. Natural things are always so much more beautiful - in most ways. Love the effects of the leaves but I'm a leafy person, lol. Look forward to seeing the results of your latest experiment. Not knowing what you'll get is so much fun!

Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

Nice results. The pennies really left some cool dots. I love the ghost leave effects. Have fun eco dyeing. It looks like a fun thing to do on a fall day. :) Hugs-Erika

kaybee said...

Fascinating! I love learning what you create from everyday and natural stuff! Looking forward to how this new piece turns out.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful eco-dying results Elizabeth!
Apologies for not visiting lately, life has got in the way!
Have a lovely day,
Alison xxx

Sami said...

Always great to use natural materials in your art.

Barbara said...

Wow, I never thought to add copper in any form! Very interesting! I’m looking forward to your next one. It’s a tough time of year here to find enough foliage, but I’m itching to do this again. I’ll use paper though, not fabric.

RO said...

That's pretty neat how that turned out and I'm waiting for the next round to see what happens. Some of those leaves from your yard are pretty gorgeous! Happy Wednesday! RO

CJ Kennedy said...

The pennies left really interesting marks. Looking forward to see what the pipe and sunflowers will leave behind.

Jeanie said...

I think the fabric is so beautiful. I love the randomness of the pattern and the soft, natural colors, the round shapes where the pennies were. It's beautiful and I can't wait to see how you use it in your art.

You asked if I knew it was Nuit Blanche before we went to Paris. It's not why we scheduled the trip but a couple days before I left I saw a blog that mentioned it. Still, I had no idea. So when Jerry mentioned our going, I thought, "this will be cool" but I had no idea it was such a massive thing!

Divers and Sundry said...

It's interesting to see the results you get. The blackberry leaves and wild sunflowers are right down my alley, and I liked seeing the effect you got from the copper. I wonder if it'd get more color the longer you left it, or if the copper result had peaked after that length of time. I was surprised not to see any hint of the blue I see in corroded pennies.

I sent you an email ;)

kathyinozarks said...

Fun project Elizabeth-turned out great

Caty said...

Wonderful results with the leaves.... love it ! You are a great teacher Elizabeth !! love the mark of the coin. Interesting post .
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugs, Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous results and more to come - too many treats this week Elizabeth!!! Hugs, Chrisx

aussie aNNie said...

wow this is fabulous what great results,.xx

Rita said...

I like the results! Quite subtle. :)

froebelsternchen said...

I am always impressed with your results ! Looking forward to the outcome of the new piece as well!