Friday, October 12, 2018

Friday Smiles 293: a trip to the Art Museum part 5


Annie our host at Friday Smiles has agreed to link me each week until I can get Mr. Linky working for me again.  Thank you Annie.  I appreciate you for taking time to do this.

I'll begin with a few funnies:

These are actual resumes I copied from the pages I found when I cleaned my desk last winter.  I've shown some the past two weeks, and here are a few more.


“The company made me a scapegoat, just like my three previous employers.”

“Finished eighth in my class of ten.”

“References: none. I’ve left a path of destruction behind me.”

And for those of you who like Dr. Seuss, here is a person who loves their job, as told to Dr. Seuss.

I love my Job, I love the Pay!
I love it more and more each day.
I love my Boss; she’s the best!
I love her boss and all the rest.
I love my Office and its location –
I hate to have to go on vacation.
I love my furniture, drab and gray,
and the paper that piles up every day!
I love my chair in my padded Cell!
There’s nothing else I love so well.
I love to work among my Peers –
I love their leers and jeers and sneers.
I love my Computer and all its Software;
I hug it often though it doesn’t care…
I love each Program and every File,
I try to understand once in a while!!
I’m happy to be here, I am I am;
I’m the happiest Slave of my Uncle Sam.
I love this Work; I love these Chores.
I love the Meetings with deadly Bores.
I love my Job – I’ll say it again –
I even love these friendly Men –
These men who’ve come to visit today
In lovely white coats to take me away!!!
(written by a U. S. government employee, but I suspect we can all relate in some small way at one time or another in our lives, even if it wasn't an office job)

 Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this past July.   For some reason, I thought I had taken tons of photos in this room.  Instead, I had taken tons of photos of the same art, because I couldn't get it to turn out legibly.

Wichita Art Museum or WAM calls this room Heritage of the West - A Romance Gone Forever.   There are 20 paintings and from what I can tell, one sculpture in this collection, which is permanent at WAM.

All their photos are SO much better than mine.  If you want to see the art better, feel free to click on the link above, although the images don't enlarge like they do in other galleries.



This is the Charles M. Russell gallery.   According to Russell's web site:
Charles Marion Russell (March 19, 1864, St. Louis, Missouri - October 24, 1926, Great Falls, Montana), also known as C. M. Russell, was an artist of the American West.
Russell created more than 2,000 paintings of cowboys, Indians, and landscapes set in the Western United States, in addition to bronze sculptures. Russell was also a storyteller and author. The C. M. Russell Museum Complex is located in his hometown of Great Falls, Montana houses more than 2,000 Russell artworks, personal objects, and artefact's.









No matter how many photos of this wall I took, they turned out unreadable.


The two younger children loved this room and I could barely get them to leave.  However, after awhile, other galleries called to them, and they were finally lured away from the Russell collection.

Thanks for joining the children and me again at the museum and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing the photos from the museum, I'm sure you and the kids enjoyed your trip there very much. Have a great Friday, Valerie

Annie said...

Love the museum art but I have to say the Dr Seuss style poem made me chuckle....thanks for sharing it.
Hugs,
Annie x

aussie aNNie said...

Love the poem, how funny had a chuckle.
Great pics of the museum, very interesting and it looks very clean and spectacular place to visit. Love to do the museums myself when time permits.The vellum I used was rather thick and you need to hold it upright and move the heat gun around to stop it from buckling... Have a great weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

I enjoyed these western influenced art pieces. Living here in New England (which is about as western as living in England) there is something quite romantic about all the open spaces and that western timespand. And yes, lots of bad things too but of course this art doesn't really show a lot of that. I enjoyed you visit again this week. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Brilliant photos today but I have to say your funny was brilliant and rather reminded me of how I felt sometimes when I was teaching though I think you have to be a bit mad to do it Lol! Will pop over to Julia's later as instructed. I need to pop back later for a better look here too but just off to visit mum and dad now. Big hugs, Angela xXx

Barbara said...

Wonderful western art! Thanks for the tour.

CJ Kennedy said...

The Seuss like poem gave me a chuckle. I'm with the children. I loved the Russell gallery.

Anonymous said...

I could relate, but no longer!!! That's some Western collection of bronzes and painting, wow! Feels like the Will Rogers Museum which I visited once as a teen with the folks on a cross country vacation...Happy Weekend. xox

froebelsternchen said...

I love this wonderful western art! Just great! Thank you for taking me with you again! Happy Friday!!!

Big hugs, Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fun! Wow, what a fabulous museum, I'm loving the western bronzes and artworks - so beautiful 😀. Happy Friday and wishing you a wonderful weekend! J 😊 x

Lisca said...

What beautiful Western art. He certainly is a gifted artist. I wonder how much it is romanticised. I don't know as I was brought up with the Hollywood version of the West and really don't know much about the real cowboys and indians. But the paintings are beautiful.
I too had a giggle about the office job poem.I'm sure some people can relate to that.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

I love these Old West pieces. You never know which part of a museum is going to strike someone :)

It's hard for me to focus the shot so that printed signs are legible. I have to make separate paper/pencil notes as reminders.

Caty said...

Thank you very much Elizabeth for this so interesting trip by the Museum !! The sculptures are beautiful, and the painting wonderful too. Great visit !
I wish you a very nice weekend, big hugs, Caty

da tabbies o trout towne said...

seuss himself is giving that poem a standing ovation !! and thanx for sharing the museum tour Elizabeth :) ♥♥ happy week end to all ~~~~~~

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Here I am! told you I'd be back. Those paintings are brilliant. I love historical art work you can just imagine the artist sketching out the drawing ready to begin the painting while the Indians and cowboys get on with their day. Just brilliant. Love to you both, Angela xXx Maisie and Stan send hugs too Woof Woof xXx

Meggymay said...

I think this could be my favourite set of photos so far Elizabeth. I love the sculptures and the art wow, such a talented artist.
I had a smile at the poem as well.
Yvonne xx

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Thanks for sharing the museum photos. Must have been amazing to see them in person.

-Soma

Rita said...

Good funnies!
I really enjoy those old west paintings. Not sure why, but they fascinate me because of all the action and activity in them. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

The Dr Seuss poem made me smile especially today! I think I would want to stay in this room a long time too! Hugs,Chrisx