Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Nature Part 1


As you may know by now, Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  My theme is Count your blessings, and I consider nature to be an important blessing for me.

I realized as I was laying the focal images in place, I could not get them all on one page.   That was even before I started creating each assemblage.

After creating my background using my favorite handmade shimmering mist, I painted white card stock with watercolor crayons.  When dry, I added the card stock to the postcard and ruffled the edges using my scissors.

I raided my cheesecloth stash, along with bits of threads I cut from my sewn art.

I layered all that on top of dark brown corrugated cardboard I cut to size.  

I was quite happy

with the outcome.

To be honest, this turned out better than I actually expected. 

Bleubeard, my adorable co-host and I are thrilled you joined us today as we have been blessed with nature's bounty which we are sharing at Art Journal Journey

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful assemblages! The cheesecloth adds a great effect. Have a lovely day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This turned out just STUNNING ELizabeth! Great to use not just the cheesecloth for layering but also this threads! Looks so alive and beautiful. I love the detail photos as well!
An amazing entry for your COUNT YOU BLESSINGS theme!
Fabulous!
Have a great day !
Lots of love from Susi

My name is Erika. said...

These assemblages are gorgeous. I love cheesecloth in art and I love how it peeks out from behind. And a bit of stitching looks good also. Never mind the the front of these are really pretty also. It's hard to pick a favorite. :) You have been a busy girl this month for sure. But it all looks like its been fun! Hope you have a great Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

Happy you should be! These are so pretty, agin so delicate. It has never occurred to me to use cheesecloth on anything, except one time when I bought 1/8 yard and had most of it left over. It’s beautiful!

Sandra Cox said...

These turned out really well, Elizabeth.
Love the edging.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the heads up, Elizabeth. The comment gremlins are at it again on my blog. Try agin after someone else has managed to post a first comment. For some reason, someone suggested that could work. I’m just waiting out these glitches, have tried everything else. 😛

Divers and Sundry said...

The cheesecloth adds a lot, doesn't it. I'd certainly never have thought of it. I see a different way of looking at materials when I see these posts :)

kathyinozarks said...

I real love these-and liked the tutorial how to--thanks

Meggymay said...

The layers of materials look gorgeous, it is a fabulous page Elizabeth, the sort you wish you could touch it looks so tactile. I love the soft coloured background you created as well.
Yvonne xx

rikae said...

somehow I found your blog and here I am after I lost contact with you and your marvelous teaching. I am back doing art and I want to take more classes with you.

Hope you had a wonderful summer we had nothing but rain for one month.

Sending love and blessing!

Rita m Kaehler

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE the use of the cheesecloth, always adds a touch of texture.
Re my Christmas card, yes it is hard to make them this time of year but as we have a hot Christmas down under and our weather where I live in Newcastle, doesn't get cold...today in fact I have a short sleeve Tshirt on and thin cotton pants, just been outdoors and it is hot...yes hot...almost to jump in the pool....well in a couple of months or so...
x

Rita said...

These are so pretty! :)

Jeanie said...

These are exceptionally beautiful, Elizabeth. I really love the use of the flowers and I think you should be a salesperson for shimmering mist, you use them so well! Love the flowers, the feel, everything about them.

CJ Kennedy said...

The assemblages are so pretty. Love the images you chose and the cheesecloth looks so lacy.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful images and textures with the cheesecloth Elizabeth! Xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is a lovely page Elizabeth! Love all that texture! Hugs, Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

This is lovely, Elizabeth. The postcards with dried flower embellishments are beautiful. Mounting them on cheesecloth was just the perfect touch.

Lowcarb team member said...

I especially liked these and the colours you've used.

All the best Jan

Jackie PNeal said...

Gorgeous!! Your layers are spectacular Elizabeth!
Jackie xo