Saturday, August 4, 2018

Music soothes the soul



Because Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month, I wanted to create something inspired by music.  I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More whose theme this fortnight is sheet music.

I am so blessed to have a musician friend (see my right sidebar) who has introduced me to several big name rock stars.  I didn't get giddy, but enjoyed meeting each one of them.  My friend Joseph knows many names in the music business because he has been a musician since before I met him while we were both at Wichita State University.

I love using vintage sheet music in my art.   I especially like to watch it peek out from behind the security envelope windows.

I loved this image I found in a book I picked up at the art sale last year. 

Of course I had to add the sentiment.  

Blog friends and followers keep telling me I need to use my own handwriting more often, so I am trying to do that.

Of course, I don't want that to take away from the lovely sheet music

or the sewing that makes me want to sing with joy.

For this page, I started with two very different security envelopes and sewed them together.  I placed vintage sheet music behind the three security windows, then added the focal image and the sentiment, also written on a strip of another security envelope, which reads "Music soothes the soul."  I then sewed the assembly to a sheet of 110 lb. card stock and trimmed it after I sewed it in place.  Every element was sewed using variegated blue thread in which the various stitch lengths were varied.

Bleubeard and I are honored you joined us today at Art Journal Journey, where my theme is count your blessings, as well as Moo-Mania and More whose theme this fortnight is sheet musicWe're delighted you stopped by and we'll meet you at both sites today.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page with a lovely sentiment. Great sewing, too. Have a great day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh! This is excellent Mixed Media Art. Collage and Mixed Media at its best!
I love every single step you used here to create this fascinating, stupendous piece Elizabeth... from scratch you made a wowser using a fantastic hand you put all together! The sewing is gorgeous with the variegated thread and the focal image is just so beautiful - great folk art and your style here highlights this and the sheet music ..oh gosh all fits so wonderful together! You made my morning ....
and I am so pleased you not only added this to your fabulous new theme at AJJ but also support Moo Mania & More with this gorgeous designed page!

Standing ovations for this -- you evidently put all your heart and the love you feel for your musician friends and for music into this piece!
I am thrilled!
Happy Saturday!
Hugs, Susi

chrissie said...

Just been catching up on your blog Elizabeth and so many things of interest to see here. Just love this page with the beautiful sewing and the great use of the music pieces.

Thank you for commenting on my blog--very kind of you

Love Chrissie xx

aussie aNNie said...

Music does sooth the soul and love your page.xx

Barbara said...

Wow, this one really touches the viewer. You choice of blue elements, plus the colorful image is perfect. Thanks for your feedback re my blog comment “Reply” dilemma. I don’t get so many replies thatI have to do without it, so I’ve adjusted my settings and it’s back. I still prefer to getcomments by email, so that hasn’t changed. Have never had a problem doing that.

kathyinozarks said...

Happy Saturday, this is really a nice piece! Loving it
and I am pleased to have posted a movie you may consider watching-was surprised being a Hallmark movie that I saw it posted for free online too-let me know how you like it if you end up seeing it.- this is not one of those mushy ones ha ha

CJ Kennedy said...

Music soothes the soul and this page soothes the eye. The colors, the image, the zigzag stitching, your handwriting. I don't know which I like better.

craftytrog said...

Music is a great idea for the theme Elizabeth!! I love your beautiful page, especially the lovely image. Reminds me of our kids taking part in school concerts. They were both very musical.
Have a great weekend,
Alison xxx

My name is Erika. said...

That is certainly a cool page! I like the colors and the image-as well as sheet music. Sheet music is really fascinating to look at and is a language all of its own. Saying that, it adds a lot of fascination to a page for sure. Cool that you met so many musicians and famous ones too. We get a lot of rich and famous people who vacation up on the Lake near us and I have probably seen some of them and wouldn't even recognize them in many cases. They go incognito plus we New Englanders are pretty low key. But I don't know if I did meet any of them if I could stay really cool about it. Good for you not to get all gushing. Anyhow, have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! The background paper design with the stitching works beautifully and I agree with the words you added, music soothes my soul too 😁. Happy Saturday! J 😊 x

Divers and Sundry said...

Music does soothe the soul, and I think your handwriting is a nice touch. I like how you include the sewing :)

Sandra Cox said...

I love this! The picture is so bright and cheerful and the stitching sets it off. I would have never figured out that you used security envelopes.
Have a wonderful weekend:)

Cindy McMath said...

A lovely page and of course I like the recycling aspect as well. Music is a wonderful thing.

Meggymay said...

I love how you used the security envelopes as a base. It is a wonderful image of the young musicians playing in harmony together.
Music does sooth the soul, it is a fantastic page
Yvonne xx

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful work, Elizabeth! Love the color, the stitching, the sheet music, the sentiment and picture! I guess I love everything about it! Happy weekend!

EricaSta said...

Great for Moo-Mania & More... Sheet Music

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great page playing homage to *Music* it really is something to be thankful for and like you it also plays a BIG part in mine and my Hubbies life. Such an uplifting subject and page, with those sweet images and sheet music, the stitching really does help them to pop.
Sorry i'm late, been offline for a couple of days.. trying to catch up with everyone now before bedtime.
Creative hugs Tracey xx

Jeanie said...

This is just beautiful, Elizabeth. Wonderful composition. I really appreciate the stitching around the musical passages and the illustration is just perfection. What a great find. And it all comes together so well in the blue. Very nice!