Friday, August 17, 2018

Butterflies get all the publicity


As you probably know by now, Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  My theme is Count your blessings, and I truly believe nature is a blessing.  I can't begin to imagine what kind of world we would have without nature.

Today we focus on the beautiful butterfly.

Unfortunately, the caterpillar does all the work.

This quote is attributed to the very funny late George Carlin, although I didn't have room to add his name to the quote.

I was so lucky to find an image of the caterpillar that eventually turns into this monarch.  If you grow milkweed, dill, or fennel, at some point you will probably find these gobbling away at your harvest.

I had dyed the bias tape with my other turmeric infused fabrics earlier, and dyed the white rick rack green using Staz-on and alcohol.

I started this page by gluing a portion of an old calendar to my 110 lb card stock substrate.  I added the caterpillar, then sewed the computer generated quote to the page using variegated thread.  To add a bit of interest, I added the bias tape and rick rack to the left side of the page.

The ever popular Bleubeard, my adorable co-host and I are thrilled you joined us today as we have once again explored nature and how blessed we are to have it.  We are sharing this blessing at Art Journal Journey

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, butterflies are always good to see. We've had a lot of them around this year, and also more wasps than ever, because of the long, hot spell. Rather butterflies than wasps! Have a great day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

How true is that sentiment...like the wife who does all the cleaning, washing and ironing and the husband who gets all the credit for it on how he has the place etc looking good....
Love this and love the butterfly.

Meggymay said...

It is a lovely meadow scene from the calendar for this beautiful butterfly, to fly over. I also loved the trim and am in awe of how you sew on your pages to add the detail. Its good for the the caterpillar get a mention, they get bad press but give us beauty.
We have had more butterflies than ever this year, but not as beautiful as this one. They probably have a fancy name but we call them Cabbage Whites.
It is a gorgeous page.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

This quote is fantastic and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fantastic page Elizabeth! It's a blessing for us to enjoy all your art this month! Incredible my friend!
Big hugs, Susi

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

What a true sentiment Elizabeth. Hope Bleubeard is well and being helpful with the hosting. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Marfi-topia said...

love this, it's just adorable!!!

RO said...

I adore looking at the vibrant colors of butterflies, and you are so right that they get all the recognition while the caterpillar is sort of forgotten. You did a lovely job here, Elizabeth! Hugs...and Happy Friday! RO

My name is Erika. said...

I am with you about nature. I feel like so many pages I make and photos I take are on that subject. I love the detail of adding the cloth trim down the side of your page. It really gives the page some depth. And I must say that is a great quote. And how true for so much of life. Hope you have an excellent Friday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

A lovely page. I especially like the rick-rack border, and the quote made me smile. Thanks for the start to my day on a happy note.

Cindy McMath said...

A very pretty page! And thanks for answering my question on the glue crackle. :)

Lisca said...

The quote is right. The butterflies get all the attention, because they are so beautiful. And the catterpillar just munches away at your leaves!
Gorgeous page,
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

Butterflies are showier, that's the truth ;) but I enjoy the caterpillars, too :) The wrens are attracted by the caterpillars, though, so I have mixed feelings when I see them.... I'll try dill next year. I've never grown it.

Carlin had a point-of-view that could make me see things in a different way. I can only imagine what his routines would look like if he were alive today.

Barbara said...

So right, the caterpillar does all the work. It is truly amazing, that transformation into something so lovely.

Dianne said...

love the caption on this collage! and the beauty of the final piece...

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a beautiful piece Elizabeth !!! very nice !! we hope everyone's week end is great ! ☺☺♥♥

Lowcarb team member said...

I agree with you - nature is a blessing.
I love your piece here great caption and a pretty butterfly.

All the best Jan

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I often feel I am the caterpillar in many things I do but I kind of like it that way in reality. A statement from words to beautiful pictures and a lucky find with the caterpillar image. I love the idea of your eco dyed bias binding.
Wishing you a magical and creative weekend Elizabeth..
Hugs Tracey xx

Rita said...

Beautiful page. I have a soft spot for monarch butterflies. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

This page is fabulous Elizabeth and I love that quote! The nature around us certainly is a blessing! Pleased to know that my package arrived! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

I wish I could capture the monarch that flutters on my beach so often in photography as well as you captured this beautiful butterfly in this piece. It's very nice indeed.

Jackie PNeal said...

Again , I love your nature theme counted as a blessing- for sure!
I do miss seeing those beautiful Monarch caterpillars! We have many butterflies, but have not seen a single caterpillar! I have purposely left the milkweeds where ever they are popping up-even in the veggie garden-oops! Hopefully someday!
Anyway, your page is gorgeous- I love the wording- it made me giggle!
Jackie xx