Thursday, July 26, 2018

Art For Art's Sake


I'm once again joining Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   Her theme is Art for art's sake.

Chris wants us to use art supplies we don't normally use, so here are my watercoloring pencils

I had never used until I sharpened them the first time a few months ago.

I don't doodle.  I don't LIKE to doodle.  I have to stop every so often to rub my dominant hand because I grip the pencil too tight.  This is NOT meditative to me, but it is something I can make while I'm sick in bed.

I found this lady in an old Dover coloring book and went to town.  It took two days to finish this.  I learned about shading, blending, and how much water I needed to add to complete each space.

Needless to say, I made a few mistakes, too.  Don't look too closely, or you'll find many.

I am once again grateful and deeply touched that you chose to visit.  I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.    
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful face, you coloured it well. Have a fun day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE the colour the pencils reveal, wowzer what a beautiful face...love it.x

froebelsternchen said...

To color in all this little hearts is much more work than doodeling Elizabeth! You did this so well! A beautiful face and page!!! And you even did art as you were ill- I am impressed with your passionately work! Hope you are feeling better meanwhile! Have a beautiful day!
Thank you for all the hard work you do for AJJ again my friend and wonderful Co.-Admin ♥♥♥!
Hugs, Susi

Sami said...

The picture looks beautiful Elizabeth. I was given a colouring book and pencils a couple of years ago, but only coloured in two pics, then I gave it to my niece. It can be therapeutic I think, just didn't think I could find the time to do the whole book.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful coloring. I love watercolor pencils. All the fun of watercolor with a bit more control

Caty said...

This is a so gorgeous page Elizabeth!! really amazing these doodles ´hearts. Love the face !Don´t use watercolours a lot too, I prefer acrilic paints in fact, but I always admire watercolours creations, and yours is wonderful!!
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs, Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

This looks fabulous Elizabeth- you have coloured this beautifully, the face especially! Thank you so much for spending the time while you were sick to practice your colouring skills and create a great entry for my theme at Art Journal Journey! Hugs,Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

I forgot about using "forgotten" supplies in Chris's challenge. I'd say you made a beautiful page. I am not good with colored pencils myself. I think I need a class in using them. They are ok for little spots, but you colored big spots and I guess that is the only real way to learn about using them. Looks good! Hope you are up on your feet by now. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

You did a beautiful job - what a great way to play with a new supply!

Meggymay said...

She is a beautiful lady, I love how you coloured her face and the page looks so romantic with all the intertwined hearts.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how coloring has been embraced by adults. Your shading and blending show just what can be accomplished :) Nice!

I've never used pencils like these. I find regular watercolors challenging.

Sandra Cox said...

I adored this piece! You did a wonderful job. Are you still sick?

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; no mistakes; only a really nice piece; I'll have to try these pencils; I color but have always used the standard markers//pencils. thanx for sharing today !! ☺☺♥♥

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

One of my students gave me a coloring book. Your post inspires me to go start coloring. Beautiful results!

Rita said...

What fun to get out products you don't normally use. Nice! :)

Marfi-topia said...

absolutely gorgeous! hope you're well!

Jeannette said...

oh my,this face looks amazing,i amaze this work,love it a lot.
here is the weather very hot.
wishing you a nice weekend,dear elizabeth.

hugs jenny

Let's Art Journal said...

So beautiful! It must have taken ages to colour and I love the way you blended and shaded the watercolour pencils especially on her face - amazing 😁. Happy Friday! J 😊 x

Jeanie said...

What I love is what you did and your working with new things. What I don't love is that you are still sick in bed. This is not good and I hope all things even out very soon.

Thanks for taking the time to visit me. Sometimes when you feel lousy it's the last thing you want to do!

Mia said...

This is a lovely lady and I think your coloring is perfect, Elizabeth. There are no mistakes in artistic inspiration. Hugs, my friend.

sheila 77 said...

I think it would be hard work to colour in all these hearts and all else. I take back what I said about soothing, this looks like hard work but you've made it beautiful in the end.
I hope you've recovered now, Elizabeth, sorry to read that you have been ill.

Jackie PN said...

You are too funny Elizabeth! Are you sure you don't doodle? or don't like to doodle! LOL
So ,what do you create when you are sick in bed? or are you like me and just watch old movies and rest?
I love that box your pencils are in- looks so vintage! Good for you for getting these out and giving them a go!
Jackie xx

Clipping Path said...

I am mesmerized. Great work indeed. Keep up the good work.