Saturday, July 21, 2018

A picnic near the river


One day while the young people were in town, it wasn't quite as hot as it had been.   Although I hadn't planned to take any photos, where I go, so goes my camera.  One friend said it is like another appendage. 

Although we brought blankets and a cooler, we left them in the vehicle.  I had planned to picnic by the river.

I remembered when several of my internet friends got so excited when they saw Canadian geese, or their return, and I just rolled my eyes.

We have tons of them here and they never go away because people feed them.

Why leave when you have all the comforts and none of the migrating to worry about.

I had planned to take a photo of the river, but got the head of a goose.

Ironically, I cut off the head, photographically speaking, of the same goose, but managed to get its mate and a couple of crows hiding in the grass.  A fun fact: Canadian geese mate for life.

I followed the antics of the geese and their crow friend, all of whom seemed oblivious of others and vehicles, too.

We decided to let the geese have the shade near the river, and we found a shady picnic table in the park, where we could still see the river and eat our lunch without worrying about honking geese begging for food.

Thank you so much for joining the youngsters and me today as we navigated our way around the Canadian geese near the river.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a fun place for a picnic. Enjoy your weekend, Valerie

Sami said...

A nice place for a picnic. I also don't like being bothered by bird or ducks begging for food in the park.
I also carry my camera in my bag all the time, you never know what interesting stuff pops up.

CJ Kennedy said...

Looks like a lovely place for a picnic.

My name is Erika. said...

Those guess have become rather like seagulls on the water. Talk about a species that has boomed in population. We don't have quite the problem here with them- but at my mom's they do. We get the decks instead. You were smart to move your picnic, but what a fun day out. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

A lovely day- by the river would have been nice, but the geese beat you to it. I'm sure the food seeking can be a problem. We were at a Disney park last spring and the birds had become very bold in approaching people's food in the outdoor areas.

RO said...

Such lovely and soothing pics, and so glad the weather was cooperative. I like the idea of picnics, but I'll do it inside -bug free, Elizabeth!(lol) Hugs...and Happy Saturday! RO

Sandra Cox said...

Great pics. It sounds like a perfect day.
How are you feeling?

Meggymay said...

It looks a lovely park and a super picnic destination. I love watching the wildlife if we see any on our walks, so it was good to see your photos of the geese.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Less goose poop on picnic tables, too--LOL! What a fun time those kids had with you!! :)

kathyinozarks said...

this was a phone post I agree picnic table away from the beggers would be a good thing lol
when I got home from classes your envelope had arrived thank you and I loved everything!! even your atc. I loved the extras and thank you for samples of paper-we do go to sams club a couple times a year so will check it out. wonder if we need to iron out the crease in the middle where molded.
My dye class was amazing was thinking of you while there. I will do a post about by classes for Tuesday

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful place to see in our winter days here down under.x

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic photos of these lovely geese! I can understand why they don't leave! Lol!

Big hugs, Susi

craftytrog said...

Love your geese photos Elizabeth, and a great spot for a picnic!
Alison xxx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love picnics! I hear you about the geese. They are year-round residents here, too, and a messy and aggressive bird they are. I'd cede them the ground and take a table with you lol That's such a lovely setting :)

Lowcarb team member said...

A nice place for a picnic - lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

Good idea to separate geese and food! I think they would have been a nuisance and you would probably have got something you didn't want on your picnic rug!!! Chrisxx

Anonymous said...

Our geese take off for the summer and we have many but not enough to be annoying thankfully. xox

Jeanie said...

Ah, the geese like to be in charge. what a fun time for you and the kids!

Jackie PN said...

Picnicking by the river is such a joyful way to spend a summer's day!
Jackie xo