Wednesday, April 18, 2018

In the heartland


It's once again time to join Alison/Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme recycle and collage.

These cracker boxes are really great for recycling and they are large, too, which means I can enter them at Art Journal Journey.  I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that Florida state map from the late 1990s.

Some of you will remember when I created Faux Cloisonné last year for a Second Thursday Tutorial.  I stamped the heart with the peace symbol inside it, then outlined the areas using dimensional paint.  After that, I filled the heart using fingernail polish.  I couldn't find my gold pen to turn it into truly faux cloisonné, but I was still happy with it.  It was now time to put it to good use, since the fingernail polish had been repurposed.  The image of the U.S. may have been a die cut, and was sent to me by Patty.

After putting it all together, you can see I'm seeking peace and love in the heartland!

In order for the U.S. to stand out, I ended up outlining it.  Not the best job, but I was fairly satisfied with it in the end.





For Day 18 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday, I recycled a cracker box, part of a leftover map, a gifted die cut, and a faux cloisonné heart and peace sign.  The sentiment was computer generated on the back of colored printer paper from my recycle bin, and outlined using a blue marker.

EDIT:  I just noticed that Moo-Mania and More's theme is United States of America or USA.  Although I hadn't planned this, it fits perfectly and I am going to enter it in their challenge, too.

Thank you for sharing time with me today.  Today, you will find me at Art Journal Journey and Moo-Mania and MoreI hope to see you there, too.  There's still loads of time to be inspired by recycling and collage.  And Moo-Mania and More has just started their challenge today.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You gave your creation a wonderful title. Have a fun day, Valerie

Rosie said...

You are so creative, it's fabulous.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

froebelsternchen said...

Oh my gosh ! THIS IS simply AMAZING - I love all about this project for Alison's theme and your bEARTHmonth and I am happy to see that it fits MOO MANIA & MORE so well! I love that heart - precious on this page!
You are a WOWSER!!! Thank you for all the hard work you do dear Co.Admin! ♥♥♥
I have left a comment for you at Aimelslee's blog and I have a urgent warning for you as well, just found at a girlfriend's blog

ATTENTION: ALL WOMEN: a virus is going round called Housework. If you feel the need to start Housework stop immediately. This virus wipes out your social life. If you should come in contact with Housework, go straight to the nearest armchair as the only antidote known is called Rest! Please forward this warning immediately to 6 friends. If you realise you do not have 6 friends, you are already infected.😄xx


Happy Wednesday Ms.Dr.E.!
Hugs, Susi

craftytrog said...

How fabulous! I love the faux cloisonne heart and the title of your piece Elizabeth!

aussie aNNie said...

Pretty cool stuff here love your blog always interesting.xx

My name is Erika. said...

Cool page Elizabeth. I like your heart too. It came out really nice and I like the effect. And lucky you to hot all these themes. It's great when you don't realize what you are making is perfect for another challenge too. And I want to wish you an early happy birthday in case I don't get to blogs tomorrow morning. Flight leaves Boston at 1 PM and I am off. Wow, this has come up so fast! I hope your bearthday is fantastic and you have a fun day! Take care. And I will miss stopping by but think of the catch up I will have to do when I get back. Hee-hee. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Cool! You are great at bringing together a variety of materials into a beautiful and coherent piece under a theme that touches me. I love this!

Sami said...

You're always so inventive and creative, it's lovely Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

Great for both challenges. Chipboard is such a great material and I have a collection of boxes to make patterns with for my dolls and all kinds of other things. Clever piece. Just love it. xox

Sandra Cox said...

What a great idea. No one would have a clue that's a cracker box. And I loved the piece.
I think I mentioned before my daughter used to tear up cardboard boxes and paint on them.

Jeanie said...

I like maps and this one was loads of fun. Love your heartland heart, too!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

whisperz ta bleu N squiggles...doodz....cranbereez....we waz hopin ta get sum crackerz N sardeenz two day.....oh well !!!!! ;) ♥♥

Meggymay said...

The sentiment is wonderful and fits so well the background to your fantastic page. I love the heart you added, it does share the love, when seeing it there on your page.
Yvonne xx

Darla said...

Very clever! Once again you provided me with a technique to think over. I like that heart a whole lot I need to go back to Art Journal Journey - looks like one can submit something to the monthly challenge more than once. Yes? Anyhow, this is a great piece - I hope our Hearland appreciates it :-)

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Well...I'm not in the heartland but i love to recycle and reuse -- I always cut up my certain and cracker boxes to make postcards.

Rike said...

This heart is really an eyecatcher! It glances over the whole page - heartland USA! The quote fits perfect!
Wish you a happy day! Rike xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I absolutely love this, it really is such a lovely piece of recycling! Hugs,Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Lovely thought. The faux cloisonné heart is very cool. I've made faux cloisonné jewelry pendants using Mod Podge and dimensional fabric paint. That was four years ago.

I don't use Mod Podge anymore for the very reasons you noted in a comment on my blog. It never reaches a hard cure. You wouldn't believe how any reader questions I get about problems they're having with a Mod Podge project. I help them troubleshoot the current project and always suggest they use gel medium the next time. I keep hoping the Plaid will improve basic Mod Podge and can't understand why they haven't all these years. So far, I'm not impressed with their new Photo Transfer medium, which I bought to answer a reader question.