Sunday, August 13, 2017

Clean-up Day


I've been working myself silly trying to get all the mold out of my basement.  In fact, now I'm coughing and having trouble breathing because I inhaled all that mold I was getting rid of.

It's been a very hurried time for me.  In fact, I took these photos around midnight because it took me that long to get everything to the curb.

I got rid of items both inside and out.

Some of the bags were so heavy, I couldn't lift them. 

Dragging became the only option I had, which caused some of the bags to break or tear.

My other problem was getting rid of the tree limbs from the tree I cut down earlier in the spring.  I also got rid of the door going to the closet in the studio.  It had mold on the bottom.

 I'm sure most people wouldn't write such detailed notes to themselves, but I started this list a couple of weeks ago when I knew the trash trucks would stop at my house.  In years past, we have taken a two to four block area and concentrated on cleaning it.  I was SO happy I would be included this time, and began working on a list.  I was also happy I accomplished everything on the list.

Right before I left for the church (it was 7:15 a.m. and we met at 7:30 a.m.) where we met to pass out (and receive) assignments, I decided to take one last look at this mess.  As you can see, the lawn mower and blue cooler are now gone.  As I was taking photos last night, a man in a pick-up stopped by and took the lawn mower and cooler.  He didn't even say anything, even as I was taking photos.

Thankfully, the drink committee was already at the church making coffee for everyone, and I had divided the assignments and routes accordingly two days ago.

Normally I would take my camera, but back then, the camera I owned had a small wrist strap and I could slip it in a pocket in my shorts.  My new camera is too big and bulky, and has a strap for around the neck (which I don't use).   It was then that I decided to leave my camera at home.

 At least I got a few photos showing what a typical street might look like.   I took photos of across the street from where I live,

and from my side of the street.

I was simply thrilled to see so many people had taken advantage of the clean-up.  A separate tire truck came around and picked up over 100 tires.  The tire companies charge at least $10.00 (USD) for automobile tires and more for truck and tractor tires.

All in all, it was a good clean-up, and there was tons of camaraderie during the event.   New faces and old helped make it a true success.

The downside of this is, it took a full day for me to clean one closet (the one under the stairs).    I put everything back in place, and decided I would just remove the mold and clean everything else up later.  So now I'm looking at quite a mess in my basement.  Not a moldy mess, but a mess none-the-less.  I'll probably take some more time away from art to straighten, clean, bleach, and organize things now that I'm sure everything moldy is out of the basement.   If only the rains would stop!

Thanks for visiting today.  I'm actually still quite ill, and it has taken me all day to finish this post.  Again, I appreciate each of you and will be by to visit as time (and my coughing, nose blowing, and breathing difficulty) permits.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

sorry you've made yourself poorly with the tidy up but it sounds a very worthwhile exercise.

Blogoratti said...

Looks like a lot of work, cleaning and getting things right the way you want it to be. Hope you feel better already. Greetings and best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Got to be careful with mold as you well know. Hope you feel better soon. Do you have a de-humidifier, that might be your answer for the basement, pain to empty but will dry you out. xox

pearshapedcrafting said...

I know what mould can do - please try to get some fresh air in your lungs! Well done for persevering - even though you are feeling bad at least you cleared a lot of trash! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

That sounds like an awful task!! You definitely need a break. Rest your lungs! You got an awful lot done. :)

Cindy McMath said...

You accomplished a lot. /Even cheap paper masks will help stop mound spores from getting in your lungs - I hope you were wearing one, and if not please do next time.

CJ Kennedy said...

Good for you for getting through your to do list. So sorry the mold has made you ill. Feel better.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad, but the clean up seems to have been a great success. I hope you didn't breathe in too much mold, that's really bad for the lungs. Thanks for sharing the photos, and have a restful day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Sounds like a mask would have been handy Elizabeth and I hope you can breathe more easily by now. If not get it checked out asap.

Good to have a clean-up in an area and I am sure people were thrilled to have it taken away.Good idea to make the list--I never do but Vic does so it is good to have someone who writes list before you start a job.

Feet-up time now for you so enjoy a good rest

Love Chrissie xx

Love Chrissie xx

kaybee said...

Gosh, I wish we had an occasional pick-up like this, I could clear out my garage! That's a good job done, but I'm sorry it has made you unwell. As others have said, a mask may help. Take it easy and get better soon.

Sami said...

Take care of yourself Elizabeth, mold isn't very good for us, don't go getting bronchitis or something similar...

We have what the councils call "verge collection" twice a year in pre-determined dates as per each council. Ours actually starts today, so a lot of people have already put out their rubbish for collection. No garden stuff though, that for the "Greens collection".

voodoo vixen said...

OMGosh, what a massive work up that appears to be! Sorry you are feeling the effects of the mould, that isn't good, hope your chest clears up quickly. You certainly managed to get a lot of stuff out and away which will be a huge bonus.

Dortesjs said...

be careful dear,I can see you did a lot. YOU will feel light and happy afterwards

My name is Erika. said...

As much work as it was, you must feel great to get it cleaned up and out for pick up. :) I think it sounds like a great idea and that it was successful too. Hope the couch stops and you don't get sick from the clean up. And now, you can relax a little bit too. :) Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

You did a fantastic job - and I can imagine that it was really hard !
Now you have to rest dear Elizabeth!

oxo Susi

Jeanie said...

I can't even begin to get my brain around this. Bravo, hallelujah and three cheers. Now please, a) rest b) treat yourself to something wonderful and c) chill out with your kitties and give yourself a big pat on the back.

sheila 77 said...

I'm very impressed by your to-do list, it's so detailed, and even more impressed that you managed to finish everything. I hope you are recovering from breathing in the mould. I am also impressed by the whole of your blogpost as I have never read a "clearing the mould from the basement" blogpost before and I also love reading about decluttering, so two for one here, Elizabeth. And as always I love your remarks which are just like talking, and enjoyed your photographs.

kathyinozarks said...

wow that was allot of work!! hope you are feeling better from all that mold-that really gets to my asthma too.
that is such a wonderful event-an opportunity to dispose of stuff-good for you!! hugs Kathy

Krisha said...

A mold situation can be hazardous, I usually wear something over my mouth and nose if messing about around mold. I hope you get better quickly. The upside is you got it all out for them to pick up and now you don't have to worry about it any longer. The rest can be accomplished when your breathing better.
Ill be back latter for T-day.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

My gosh, Elizabeth, I hope you didn't overdo and after a good rest, will feel good as new.

The neighborhood clean-up idea is genius. I'm glad yours went so well - except for you exhausting yourself. It's nice to know that things no longer of use to you will go somewhere they can be used.

The mold: we never had mold when we lived in NJ; but here in Mexico - hay caramba! Black mold, orange mold ... you name it. They're a constant battle for us.

nanskidrewski said...

Congratulations on what you accomplished. Hope you are feeling better.💐

Halle said...

So much work! But definitely good to take advantage of the free clean-up and disposal.

Dianne said...

Dear E...you need to be wearing a mask when you clean up moldy things!! (uses scolding voice;) ) with my asthma, I am very cautious about this sort of thing. I wish Primatene tablets were still sold over-the-counter in stores. I am not sure they are any more, but they were a bronchial dialater (sp?) You might inquire at the drugstore. it relieves the inflammation of your bronchial tube so you can breathe easier. they tended to make me a bit jittery, but since breathing was better, I will take jittery!

Wish you could find some cheap labor to do this for you...but sounds like you accomplished a lot! so cool that the neighborhoods do this together.

feel better dear friend! ♥

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

You've been working hard! That looks like a good clean-up. In SF, anything -- and I do mean ANY thing - i don't want I put on the sidewalk and it GOES.....

UplayOnline said...

don't go getting bronchitis or something similar...


ทางบ้าน