Saturday, July 15, 2017

Summertime dreams are forever


Although Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey, where my theme is Summertime Love, I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday again, where their theme this fortnight is tags.

Summertime dreams do last forever.

Whether playing beach ball, or sitting under an umbrella,

this was a summertime dream come true.

It was a time when life was simpler,

and summertime dreams were less provocative. 


It was the summer of '55.

This page started as white card stock.  To that, I added various handmade shimmering mists and distress inks in shades of pinks and lavenders.  After I photographed the page, I punched holes in it so it can go into my 3-ring binder.   I added a doily, a dimensional sentiment, a heart, and a tag I found in my stash.  I added the date using a white gelly pen.

Although I wasn't born in 1955, I love the look of these Jantzen swim suits with their iconic and very recognizable Jantzen diving girl that was originally in a red swimsuit.  Even though the diving girl changed looks over time, she still appeared on every swimsuit sold through the 1990s.  In 2002, Jantzen was sold, but the company still leads the industry in swimwear and environmental concerns.


Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today where we learned summertime dreams are forever.  We also hope you will join us at Art Journal Journey where the theme this month is Summertime Love





 and Try it on Tuesday, where their theme this fortnight is tags.  Hope to see you both places today.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful summer page, and thanks for linking yet another tag to TIOT. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

A hapy and fun art project Elizabeth. In 1955 I was13 and helped out in the changing rooms of an outdoor swimming pool in the school holidays. I had one of those swimsuits in yellow trimmed with black and white check. I thought I looked wonderful but hadn't enough body then to fill it out.

Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

Your pagge makes me happy - a fantastic collage ist this and how clecer to integrate a tag -

Happy Saturday - you are a super host - you know that-
I will be back at home after the weekend and hope to find time then to play with your lovely theme some more times this month.
oxo
Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful summer page! Those swimsuits are the best and I enjoyed finding out more about them on your post, thank you 😀. Enjoy your weekend! J 😊

CJ Kennedy said...

A page to commemorate the year and season I was born in. ;-D I had several Jantzen bathing suits while growing up. My mother liked the brand because they were well made and modest. Ma was a big movie buff when she was younger. I think she told me Esther Williams wore the Jantzen brand.

Gibby Frogett said...

Love the happy imagery on your fab page Elizabeth.
I wasn't around in 1955 but love the fashion from those times - I can almost imagine Elvis entering this scenario followed by some singing :)
Thanks for sharing at 'Try It On Tuesday'.
Have a great weekend... Gill xx

Nancy said...

Summer fun! You have the best collection of vintage images. By the way, your take on my quilt, calling it Traveling America, was really interesting! I could follow your reasoning.

Jeanie said...

This is just so fun, I feel happy looking at it!

peggy gatto said...

Very nostalgic and fun page!!

Meggymay said...

This is a really happy page, when fun was fun and folk did seem happy with the simpler things in life like playing or relaxing on a beach.
Your page is fabulous and thank you for your additions to our theme at TioT's for this challenge.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Great summer page! You've really captured that retro vibe. I love the heart button!

My name is Erika. said...

I wasn't around in the 1950's myself but the styles are always so glamorous. Yes, as with you, I am a fan. Life appears to be so different then. Not always in the best ways but there seems to be a more simple joy. I love the page because it really feels like that time frame. :) And it feels like summer.:) happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

I was born in 1951 and these remind me of all the suits the moms wore back then. Very 50s, yes!! :)

nanskidrewski said...

Fun page! Love the fashions of the 50's. Thanks for the history of Jantzen swim suits. I love the model jumping to hit the beach volleyball.

Rike said...

Beautiful summer page! In 1955 I was 2 - I have some photos of my parents, they wear swimsuits like the people on this photo!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page! Ladies in glamorous swimming costumes instead of ill fitting bikinis! I love the little tag with the doily too! I see I should have been here earlier to Thank you for joining in at Try It On Tuesday's Tag theme too! Hugs, Chrisx