Thursday, April 20, 2017

Tag, you're it!


Before this month was over, I knew I had to create something using recycled corrugated cardboard.  I'm not terribly original, but this is the tag I created.   Although I was inspired by my friend Valerie, whose tags are incredible, mine is a pale imitation.

My wonky sewing framed the words to the springtime song.

I started with a piece of deli paper that had been crumpled, but since I didn't want to throw it away, I got out my paints and tried to create an abstract of tulips.

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get rid of the layer covering the corrugated part of the cardboard, only to realize most of it wouldn't show, anyway.

I actually measured and cut the top corners of both the cardboard and the deli paper.

When I photographed this, it was late at night and the coloring is right,

but the shimmer of the metallic paint didn't show until I performed a bit of magic in PS.

Seems I'm a bit better at abstract than I am at realism.

For Day 20 of 22, I cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to use as my substrate.  The deli  paper was crumpled and couldn't be used in gelatin printing or stamping, but I was determined to use it, anyway.  I created an abstract tulip painting on it, then cut it to size.  I used more of the deli paper to mat the words.  I found this piece of ribbon, and worried it wouldn't be long enough to use.  I was lucky it was just the right length after I cut the ends.  New materials included pink copier/printer paper and variegated thread.  The words were computer generated and printed on my new laser printer.

I am SO grateful you, my loyal readers, followers, and friends have returned day after day to see my recycling efforts.  Thank you beyond words.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your tag is fantastic, love how you used the cardboard and deli paper, and the gorgeous stitching. The painting looks like a pastel coloured impressionist piece, BEAUTIFUL! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

great tag, love your painting - looks just like a vase of tulips I have right now.

chrissie said...

A fantastic tag with wonderful ideas. Such delicate colours and anything with some sewing and corrugated card does it for me for sure.

Love Chrissie xx

Frannyaitch said...

Love everything about the tag, the content, the colour, the balance, and the tulip abstract is wonderful. I too have a 'thing' for corrugated card and have piles stashed waiting for the time to make something. Hope it turns out looking as good as this. x

My name is Erika. said...

I love the bit of shininess on your tag. They really make the color pop! Your tags are very cool, just you, which is the best thing about art. We get to express who we are, and our style is so personal. :) Happy Thursday. And by the way- you do come up with some interesting and cool ideas how to recycle artily. Is that a word? Hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I like your tag -- pretty colors, great texture and I love the stitching. Don't you just LOVE deli paper?

Sami said...

A tag that comes just in time for tulip season in Holland Elizabeth!
I actually just commented on a Dutch blog full of tulips in bloom :)

CJ Kennedy said...

A very pretty tag. The colors are so soft and soothing. I especially love the texture the stitches create.

Meggymay said...

The deli paper background looks fantastic and has a lovely shimmer, great textures and colours.
This is another great recycling post.
Yvonne xx

Sandra Cox said...

Oh I love this. It's so soft and pretty. Very feminine.

jinxxxygirl said...

Elizabeth! What a lovely pink tag!! How wonderful that you recycled. I keep forgetting to let you know that its okay to add me to your side bar blog roll.... i would be honored... Hugs! deb

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful made - I love that it is not overloaded - jzust poerfect like it is it's an absolutely beautiful piece!
Great!
oxo Susi

Linda Kunsman said...

this is such a lovely tag Elizabeth-beautiful soft colors!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

how cool is this !!!!!! tell bleu N squiggles de tabbies say hello ♥♥☺☺

nanskidrewski said...

Love the shimmer and stitching on your tag. Happy T(hurs)day!

Divers and Sundry said...

You call it a tag, but I'd be using this as a bookmark. I love your design, but I'd never be able to get the stitching right.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

i love the sewing machine stitching on there...

Cindy McMath said...

This is great Elizabeth - love the colours and design.