Saturday, April 29, 2017

April ARTifacts


I'm joining Seth Apter with my April ARTifacts journal entry.  I had so many images I wanted to share, but am only allowed one image on Seth's blog.  Each of these images has special significance this month.

I'll sew this into my rocking horse journal as soon as I've photographed this latest entry.

Beginning on the left edge, I sewed the Space Museum map and directions to a folded 6" X 6" colorful card stock gifted me by my friend Erika.  After sewing the assembly to the background paper, I created a pocket from part of the emblem.  I attached the pocket to the two pieces and inserted the ticket I received that day.

Moving up a bit, I pay homage to the the 22 days from April 1 through April 22, where I recycled something every day.

The March For Science happened on Earth Day, or as I call it, bEARTHday.   Although I've no idea what the postage stamp, sent to me by my friend Valerie, reads, I thought it looked like a piece of cake with a candle on it.

At the top near the fold is a calendar of April.

I really detest my handwriting, which used to be readable until my fingers stiffened so badly at age 19, I can now barely hold a pen.

For the right side, I have notes on the herb workshop I attended, along with herb stickers showing some of the herbs we discussed.  The actual notes are hidden on the second page so only I can see them.

Something I remember from viewing one of Seth's DVDs, is to always save words that have certain meaning to you.  The word "grow" seemed quite appropriate.  Another postage stamp, also from Valerie, signifies spring flowers I saw in my yard this April.

The note card is a replica of canvases made by women of Rwanda and sold by the African-American Museum

I visited twice in April.

One lecture was on genealogy and one on how similar President Obama and President Eisenhower were.   Both had roots in Kansas, and Obama had roots in Wichita.  But the similarity didn't end there.  It was a fascinating lecture, and I was so mesmerized I didn't take any photos.

I only found a portion of the fortune I received when my friend Sally took me to celebrate my birthday lunch with her.  It could also signify the lunch I took her to at a noodle Thai restaurant for her birthday at the beginning of the month.

One more look at the left side

and the entire spread I will sew into my ARTifacts journal for April.

Once again, I want to thank Seth for creating this collaborative.  And I want to thank each of you for visiting today.  I'm very grateful for your visit and your support of my art.



14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your entry and the significance each piece on it has for you. Both of the birthday stamps are 'happy Birthday' ones. Love the African image you included. Have a great day, take care, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Busy, busy as always Elizabeth and always something a little different to learn about when I visit your blog. Beautiful work yet again and wonderful images,

Have a great weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Sami said...

Lovely journal page Elizabeth.
That German stamp says "Lots of luck on your birthday". (I lived in Germany for 6 years, over 25 years ago). The African card looks similar to African pictures I have made with banana leaves. It's a beautiful card!
Have a lovely weekend.

CJ Kennedy said...

What a great collection. I wish people used more handwriting in their journals. Handwriting makes the piece come alive. There are many beautiful fonts and typefaces (lots of ugly ones, too.), but they're static. Every "a" will look exactly the same. The same amount of ink, the same amount of pressure. Handwriting breathes. You know there's a person behind it. Everyone's handwriting is so unique. Even in one block of writing, there's so much variation to the line and letters.

nanskidrewski said...

Love your journal page, so much to see and such variety. Love the Cosmo sphere logo..very cool. Also the grow, herb pictures and stamps. Your handwriting is quite good, very even and straight. It must be difficult to get such a good result when your hands are stiff? Love the cards of Rwanda too. Totally a visual delight. Happy weekend 😊

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great journal page.
Lovely images, I especially enjoyed the entry about herbs, I love using them while cooking!
Have a lovely weekend.

All the best Jan

froebelsternchen said...

An amazing entry dear Elizabeth! Gorgeous! Happy weekend!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Love the cake stamp and the sewing. Looking good.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful piece and wonderful way to remember your very busy and eventful month!I'm impressed with not only the piece but also what you did and how you did it!

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful memories of the month Elizabeth. That postage stamp is amazing!

My name is Erika. said...

Nice collection of images on your page. I like how you added the stamps and the partial fortune. They give it some interest and a little flair I think. :) You had great bearthday month from what I see, which is always great. Its a big deal. Take care, and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Sandy said...

Love your page - so many interesting things to look at and I really am attracted to the card with women from Rwanda on it. Very attractive. Your ARTifacts journal sounds like a real treasure!!
Sandy xx

Gibby Frogett said...

A fabulous and interesting piece Elizabeth using your lovely collection of ephemera.
Gill x

Anonymous said...

Great piece and stories behind it. Great logo on that Cosmos piece. xox