Friday, November 25, 2016

Starting another Christmas project


I got home very late (around 3:00 am my time), and promptly fell asleep due to exhaustion.  I had this post prepared, but failed to schedule it.  That's why this is much later than normal.  I'm off to catch up on the lives of those of you who have visited me these past two days.

Now that my Keys Scrappy Journal is finished, I'm working on another new project, this time a quiltlet.

This quiltlet started with me trying to use the last of my inexpensive cheap watercolors on two pieces of white bed sheet fabric.  I actually fell in love with the autumn look I achieved when I combined and bled all those colors together.  It was truly a happy accident.

I needed something to compliment the background, so I tore another small piece of white bed sheet

and grabbed some

fluid acrylics that I watered down.

I was going for an ombre look, or one that gradually blended colors together, going from light to dark.  I thought I could create sgraffito, or where I drew lines in the wet paint.  That didn't happen, though, so I have to back up and rethink where I'm going with this project.


This is Day 25 of AEDM and I am starting to look forward to the end of the month.  Thanks for joining me today.

11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the colours you achieved, hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving, hugs, Valerie

Sami said...

Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth.
I like the yellow/orange bit and the top one with the Autumn colours.

Özge Başağaç said...

I joined aedm, too. It is going slightly well this year.I am not beating myself if i can not show up everyday. But i found a rhytm.I like painting fabric and your experiments look lovely. Warm, autumn colors.Excited to see the upcoming journal.Have a nice weekend.

chrissie said...

A wonderful project with beautiful colours

Thank you for the wonderful comment you left for me on windmills and fracking. I learnt a lot

Love Chriisie xx

Meggymay said...

Love the colours you have blended on the materials. I hope you have caught up and feel rested today.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Aren't Goldens the best? The colors are so rich and beautiful!

Thanks for the info on your finishing recomendation for the tiles. I'm going to try it!

Claudia W | ImagesByCW said...

I love the colors you achieved in both of these pieces.

froebelsternchen said...

o.k. now I learned that the fabric is made with watercolors?! It looks like rusted fabric- genius!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm curious what you ended up doing, as I know your next post is about this post, but I didn't cheat and read them out of order. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, as I am with you-it is a great holiday. Let me hop on over to your next post to see what's in the next segment of the story. Hugs-Erika

sheila 77 said...

Fun to see the start of this quiltlet. I've got some of these paints and haven't used them on fabric yet, but I will certainly do so very soon.
Thanks for the idea.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

i like the colors you used too.......happy accidents are good!