Sunday, September 25, 2016

It's really awkward


 I've not shown any step out photos this month while I hosted Art Journal Journey, but I wanted to explain how I created this background made with various flash cards.

This is one of my favorite techniques.  I mix Staz-on reinkers and 91% Isopropyl alcohol and spread it onto my substrate (in this case, flash cards) using a pipette.  By mixing all the colors ahead of time, then adding the colors quickly, they mingle together and four Staz-on colors turn into many.
Of course, once I added the other flash cards over the first layer, most of it didn't show.

The boy in the blue hat was heard to say "So awkward going back to school and saying hi to everyone you avoided for three months."  It was a quote I found on the internet, and just had to use.

These are the students who the boy in the blue hat has been avoiding.

This is another look at the final layer.  Materials I used include various flash cards, some of which are old, some quite new, four "children" from a same/different game I found in my stash, and Staz-on reinkers mixed with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol.

Bleubeard and I are honored that you joined us today while we explored the awkward side of heading back to school, this month's theme at Art Journal Journey.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fun and colourful page for today, love how you made the backgrounds! Lovely idea with he flash cards. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

I love the background you created! Thanks for sharing the Staz-on reinkers technique you used, it sounds so much fun :-). Happy Sunday! J :-)

froebelsternchen said...

This Staz On Re Inker technique sounds great and the background looks amazing!
What a fab page Elizabeth!
Happy Sunday!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun page! We must be on the same wave length as yesterday I worked on a page with the same idea. Hope to wrap it up today and have it to show you next week. Great colors. that is a fun technique and I am glad you reminded me of it. Hope its been a good weekend so far. Hugs-Erika

Krisha said...

LOL! Love this page! How clever to use those flash cards.
I don't have any Stazon reinkers......gasp! But I will certainly keep my eyes pealed for them, on sale of course...*grin* Sounds like they make great alcohol sprays......and I like those!

Halle said...

HA! That is so funny...and true.

Cindy McMath said...

Elizabeth sorry it has been so long since my last visit. I have been very busy getting ready to move back to Canada and actually just touched down yesterday. My last two posts were timed because I knew I would possibly be able to even put a pot together the last couple of weeks. I enjoyed seeing all of your back to school creations and especially loved the background you did on the flash cards. And I enjoyed your self portrait. You are very determined not to let us see you! However I'm the same so that's no criticism. I will mail you something soon so you have my new address.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Love the colours here Elizabeth and such a fun idea! Hugs, Chrisx

~*~Patty S said...

This one made me smile E!
I feel the same way about some school reunions.
We stay in touch with those we want to and well....
The inks work so well with your fine flash card collection.
They were almost too nice to cover up.
Your final piece is super.
oxo

Nancy said...

Thanks for the tip on making the colorful background. Sounds easy enough. You have a great collection of game pieces, flash cards, and other school-related collage items!

sheila 77 said...

Love the boy in the blue hat and his attitude. I remember something similar, you are bringing back so many memories with your theme, Elizabeth (and Bleubeard). That looks like an interesting game with the pictures of the children.
What a great background, the colours merge so beautifully Thanks for the mini-tutorial.

Jeanie said...

Great fun -- and it's always fascinating to see "how the sausage is made."