I started this technique about two weeks ago, then let it sit while I worked on other projects.
It took me forever to save these three cans, even though I thought about this post for several months. I simply do not eat food out of cans if I can help it. Luckily, I have one of those can openers that cuts the top on the outside, not the inside of the can.
Of course, a lack of cans was just the first of many problems I had with this technique, including this spray paint I got at my local Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Swap and Shop.
In case you don't know about the HHW facility, you can take your old HHW there, which includes used paint, pool supplies, automotive supplies, etc. and exchange your items for others. You can also bring old prescription drugs, halogen, fluorescent, and the new LED bulbs we now use in our lamps to the facility, where they are disposed of properly. Or you can just get FREE supplies if you live in the county because your taxes have paid the annual fee for "shopping" there. Many larger cities have this type facility, so check with your city or county to see what is available in your area.
Needless to say, I needed a different plan. All of these cans came from HHW, and from the looks of the cans, I wasn't sure what I would discover once I actually tried to spray. Add to that, the wind was ferocious, as it had been for days.
and the wind took care of much of the paint.
After a second pass, I waited for these to dry, then promptly forgot about them. I had planned to cover the outside with lace and bling, but never got around to it. I realize nicely decorated tin cans and their tutorials are a dime a dozen, so it was another reason I put this project on hold.
Fast forward to yesterday, before the rains came (and they definitely came, which was a genuine blessing), I was getting ready to return my only three jars of nail polish to the basement where they belonged, and was hit by an idea of how to change these three cans into art I could use in the garden. In fact, I've been looking for a way to class up the area around the veggie garden.
So my supplies for this technique include a bucket of water, an empty aluminum tin, three cans, three bottles of nail polish and two different sized bamboo skewers.
I began by placing some water in the bottom of the aluminum pan. As an aside, I know you have to work quickly,
as I did when I used spray enamel one summer. If only I had remembered to wear protective gloves as I did in the above post!
For the first can, I tried to use the skewer, but the nail polish had already set and it stuck to the skewer. The good news was (if there actually was good news during the making of these) the wind was blowing so hard I actually didn't need a skewer to mix the colors.
This is what happens when you don't have many colors to choose from.
But I was still quite happy with the way they turned out. They remind me a bit of either tomatoes or decorative jalapeno peppers.
The back side isn't as pretty, but once I get potting soil and plants in them, and they are nailed or wired to a wall, the back side won't be noticeable.
As an aside, that's my thumb print on the inside of the can on the right.
If you decide to recreate this
Thanks for following me on this rather dubious journey where for Day 18 I repurposed three tin cans using spray paint from my HHW facility and old nail polish I will never use again. And thanks for your continued support of my project this month.
T will be served at the normal time which is 4 pm CDT today. I hope you will have time to join us there, too.