Thursday, September 3, 2015

A final look around Argentina before we move on



This is a scheduled post because I am helping my friend Sally get rid of much of the mess that is still in her garage.  So far we have taken three FULL loads of "stuff" to the thrift store, and we will be working on the fourth while you are reading this.  I'll be by later tonight to catch up on your art and day.

Granted, I will probably never finish this altered book, so it's a good thing I have taken it apart and punched holes or chose used file folders for the substrate so I can place the completed pages in a 3 hole binder.  But let's take one final look around Argentina in my 7 Continents altered book before we move on to other parts of the world.

I started with a background of an entire page showing Tierra del Fuego National Park.

I matted and sewed the picture taken from a travel magazine onto the page.  I was lucky that I found two very different photos of Ushuaia.  This just shows the range of temperatures that are possible in this southernmost city in the world.

I had lots of trouble with the thread I used.  It was good thread, too, but I changed thread three times while making this one very simple page.

I found another photo of the widest street in the world and knew I had to include it during our final look around.

Then of course, there was the beauty of the National Park which sits inside Tierra del Fuego, which is actually an archipelago across the Strait of Magellan.  There are many islands in this archipelago which is divided between Chile and Argentina.  We will revisit Tierra del Fuego when we travel to Chile at some future time.

One final look and we are ready to leave Argentina.

Materials used include thread, images from various travel magazines, and textured heavy scrapbook paper on a used file folder substrate (after I gave up gluing several Physician's Desk Reference pages together each time I wanted to create a new spread).

Thanks for sharing this altered book journey with me.  I'm always thrilled to have you drop by.

13 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

GREAT LAST PAGE OF ARGENTINA ELIZABETH!
I love the stitching -- makes a fabulous texture!
Hope you could manage to get rid of Sally's garage stuff now!
oxo
Susi

~*~Patty S said...

Well you are one country closer to finishing E :-)
What a lovely look at some really beautiful and varied country!
Your stitching adds great texture and interest.
What a pain when the machine acts up like that.
You make me want to set up my machine and stitch something.
We did a BIG clean up before our son came home in August and the machine got unplugged. I need it back :-)
oxo

Anonymous said...

Great series. Widest street in the world eh? I learned something new again today. Never liked geography when I was younger then I fell in love with it and read every National Geographic I could get my hands on, funny how we grow into loving something. Fantastic book. Good luck with Sally's stuff. It's tons of work, I know. YOU are a good friend. xox

My name is Erika. said...

Really enjoy your arm chair trip. Can't wait to see where we go to next, so I hope you will have some more posts about this project.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely pages, Argentina is very beautiful, and you have done tit justice here. Kind of you to help Sally, it's great to be able to help someone and to be helped. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

i do not think i will ever come to argentina in Person, but the more i like to see it through your altered book! wonderful Pictures you Chose, elizabeth!

johanna said...

and forgot to say how much i enjoyed the sewing texture!!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Nice arrangement in the last look at Argentina! I have to give you(or more myself)a chuckle ....I had a dream early this morning that I was being chased by a seal!

Oh Freud where are you now?

Have a great weekend!

dawn said...

Such awesome pictures, love the stitching on them too. How nice that you can help Sally clear out her garage, feel free to come help me do mine too. This is the second summer in a row that we didn't clean ours out. Hoping when it's a cool fall day we will attempt it.

Happy weekend!

p.s. you mentioned about linking up my posts for T Time, that would help me so much. Thank you!

Divers and Sundry said...

I do love the virtual travel :)

I'm thinking I want to try sewing on paper. It adds so much to the page.

Dianne said...

magnificent pages dear E! I just love the texture of the stitching...♥

Karla B said...

Argentina is so beautiful, my friend!What a lovely tribute you paid to Evita's land!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Once again I am learning so much from your pages - this page has some wonderful images! Hope you are nearly done by now!! Chrisx