Sunday, March 29, 2015

A sneak peek at my friend's Kings and Queens AB

I'm still working on this altered book I'm making for my friend Kathy.  Embellishing it has been harder than anything, because I don't have a lot of embellishments.  Making a few will hopefully save me.  But I'll give you a sneak peek at the niche and the back cover and spine.  The rest will come one day next week, or at least that's hopefully the plan.

This is the niche I created for the book.  I only cut about 30 pages from the 80 or 90 that became the niche.

It's very late here, and you probably can't tell I've used rub-n-buff on the crowns of the various checker pieces.  A piece of ribbon gifted me by Pear Shaped Chris and two Qs from a Scrabble game (there were NO Ks in my stash) complete the decorations.

For the back, I created a bit of fiber art to surround Queen Elizabeth I.  The spine, also originally printed by Kathy that I cut to size, shows all the Kings and Queens that are in the book.  I even recognize most of them, too.

I wondered what the blue was on the two photos, then realized the mica pieces I added to the shoulder and left wrist areas of the picture were reflecting my nightgown.  At least I was wearing clothes!

I hope you enjoy this small bit of finished art I've created for this altered book.  Thanks as always for looking. 

15 thoughtful remarks:

TwinkleToes2day said...

I really like what you have done to the back, the fibre adds just some amazing texture and interest. I giggled at your discovery of what the blue was, Lol :-D
The nice is amazing and such a unique thing in a book. A bet Kathy is very excited to discover what it will all be like.
Have a fabulous week Elizabeth {{Hugs}} :o)

Nan G said...

Oh E, what an amazing ab! Love the stitching on the back cover. Cute little niche too.

Ohhh Snap said...

That is a beautiful book! I love the string over the portrait. And I laughed so loud at your color realization I disturbed my cat Dilly. Totally relatable moment lol.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This is amazing work!!! The fiber work on the back really makes a nice frame!The checkers are so clever, too.

(Btw, I think I have at least one "K" wood tile in my stash--not true scrabble tiles so no "number" on it, but say the word and I'll put it in the mail to you right away. 1/4" thick.

Darla said...

I'm back from vacation and catching up with your blog. This AB is really turning out to be a treasure. I like the niche a lot and the back cover is great with the extra texture.

Darla

Krisha said...

WOW! The back cover is fantastic, and the niche is not only clever but really cute.

Had to chuckle about the flash of color!!

johanna said...

wonderful Details on the book. i love niches and the back turned out awesome. the netting with the string Looks soooo effectful! your friend can feel blessed for the artwork you are doing for her!

voodoo vixen said...

Oooh it is looking wonderful and makes me want to get mine out and do something to the darn thing! LOL I was cracked up laughing at the reflection of your blue nightgown and your comment about wearing clothes...
Chris is fine, his results came back negative for anything so that is great and now he can retire and enjoy being nagged by me on a daily basis... me, I have to get used to having him at home all day every day... it is proving to be hard to just chill in the scraproom for any length of time but I am working on that!!

voodoo vixen said...

Bum... forgot to say that I love what you have done to the back of the book with the fibres... it looks fabulous!

Nancy said...

Very nice! The string weaving pattern really adds a lot. Ha- the nightgown story is a good one.

froebelsternchen said...

This is going to be an unique masterpiece E.!

massofhair said...

LOL at your discovery of the blue Elizabeth. Stunning work of HeART:-) xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is looking SO good Elizabeth, even with the surprise touch of blue (made me giggle!) Glad the ribbon came in handy!! Have I caught up yet - think so!! Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

I know this has been a time- and effort-intensive project, but it's turning out so wonderful! You must be very proud :)

Halle said...

Love the stitching!!!