Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Smiles 107: Lexophile

This is not a dirty word, but, according to The Community Dictionary:
lexophile - a lover of words, one who derives pleasure from various use of words, who appreciates the nuances surrounding different words, and who is alert to synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and homonyms, often using them for effect, sometimes in humor.
So, today I'm sharing a few lexophiles with you and Annie at A Stitch in Time, where she hosts our weekly Friday Smiles.  What a great way to start the weekend.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me!

Police were called to a day-care center where a 3 year old was resisting a rest.

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off?  He's all right now.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.

In a democracy it's your vote that counts.  In feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

And possibly my favorite this week:

Writing with a broken pencil is pointless.

Don't forget to visit Annie for more smiles, and maybe a few laughs, too. She'd love for you to join her, too.


13 thoughtful remarks:

Judys Lace Creations said...

These made me smile.Must remeber some of these and pop them into conversations at appropriate moments! That's one thing about retirement.You don't hear that many jokes. Thanks
Judy

Annie said...

I've got hubby here on a day off today so read those out to him....we both had a chuckle :-)
Thanks for sharing those.
Hugs,
Annie x

froebelsternchen said...

SO funny are your lexophiles!
I think I am also a kind of lexophile girl..lol!BUt in English it's way to difficult for me...
Happy weekend Elizabeth!

johanna said...

i´m definitely lexophile!! These phrases really made me chuckle... i fully understand These in english, but not sure i could make some in a foreign language. i must go over to Annie and look for more...
have a great Weekend, elizabeth!

Nan G said...

Cute. Has me chuckling this morning, E. Thank you. Girls are sunbathing trying to warm up. Only 29 here this morning....too cold for me. Hugs for us to all you.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Just what I needed today with the zero degree weather I woke up to this morning. Wind chills well below zero. We will be warmer this weekend, but can you believe it? Another 3-6" predicted Sat. night into Sun.!!!

Stay warm, my friend!

~*~Patty S said...

Hah!
Yes good ones E.
Thanks for the giggles this morning.
Happy beginning of the weekend.
oxo

Halle said...

J and his friend have "pun contests" at school. The boy was wearing a suit for "fancy day" so J said "suits you well" to which the other boy replied "Yeah it really ties it all together"(while grabbing his neck tie) Dinner conversation involves lots of groans from his puns.

Anonymous said...

Ha! These are so fun. xox

massofhair said...

Fabulous play on words Elizabeth! I do enjoy conversations with my lovely OH like this. Tonight we were looking at a TV programme about amateur artists which starts next week and the write up mentioned that the artists would be using different mediums. I lol because my brain went to people who are size medium or psychic mediums being painted on!

We also couldn't wait for 'live boxing' to start wondering if lightweight, medium or heavyweight boxes were going to be used and what they were going to fill them with or indeed upcycle them into...

I enjoy Lexophiling a lot lol:-) xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Made me smile Elizabeth! My youngest son is very good at this! Of course jokes about German sausages are the Wurst! Hugs, Chrisx

Darla said...

These were great. Big smile!

Darla

Hettie said...

Tee Hee! Having a happy Sunday now!!
Hugs
xx