Some of you may remember I started an eco-dyeing process on Day 9 of Art Every Day Month.
I could no longer control my anticipation. It was time to open the bundles and see how well the fabric took the process.
In order to open the bundles, I needed disposable gloves and scissors.
I opened the first bundle and met with what I thought was a mess. I did the following for all three bundles:
1. Cut string
2. Opened bundle and photographed in just-opened state
3. Removed bundle to my compost pile in order to remove remains
4. At same time, returned rusty element to my rust bucket
5. Returned inside and photographed piece again before washing and curing
As a reminder, this is what the fabric and materials I used looked like before I steamed and cured it.
Isn't this gorgeous? Even though the lighting isn't the best, this made me extremely happy.
This was the smallest piece, and the one I forgot to show a "before" photo of when I steamed it.
I have no idea where that pink came from, but I really like it.
Although this length of fabric had the least amount of materials,
I think it is my favorite piece.
Here is the fabric before I wrapped and steamed it.
And here is the fabric before I washed and cured it. Be still my beating heart. I am in LOVE!! You will never find fabric like this anywhere else. It is simply incredible, even if I say so myself!
I washed the fabric in baking soda water, then a mild soap and water. Here are the final results. Note that I lost the lovely pink that was present before I washed and cured these pieces. Regardless, I am still over the moon with happiness for these three pieces made from strips of a white bed sheet.
When I did a final wash of my fabric, I also washed the string I will now use to tie up some of my sage to turn into smudge wands.