Thursday, April 17, 2014

How about a new necklace?

Today I attempted to make a new necklace.  It's no secret I don't wear jewelry, so this one will hopefully be a gift for my friend Kathy.  I hope when it's finished, it will go with her new cuff.

I originally planned to use a wine cork, since I saw one on a blog I happened to stumble on, then didn't bookmark.  However, I remembered it required drilling through the cork, and, since I'm always looking for an easier way of doing things, I decided an old thread spool would be better, and I wouldn't have to get out my drill and possibly split the cork in the process.

Although the thread is new, it's too heavy to use as top thread in my machine.  I have to hand wind it onto a bobbin when I use it, which is not very often.  So I found a way to utilize (my word for 2014) it, while recycling an old thread spool most people would send to the trash.

You can always tell when a project consumes me.  I fail to take step-out photos.  This was the case on this project, because I spent most of the day working on it.  If it could go wrong with this project, it did. 

I began by taping one end of the tread to the table, added the top button, then the bottom button, then threaded each bead on the bottom.  Because the holes on some of the beads were so tiny, and the thread kept coming apart splitting, I had to take several breaks.  That was especially true when I tried to thread the thread (redundancy is my middle name) back through the same small holes I had trouble getting it through the first time.  Bleubeard knew how frustrated I was when I kept coming back upstairs to calm down.  I've been told petting your animal reduces stress!

While upstairs, I tore a piece of hand dyed fabric, found other fabric scraps and a label from a blouse, then sewed them in place, along with some rick rack from the thrift store. 

Scraps of hand dyed ribbon and rusted fabric were too small for most projects, but too good to throw in the trash, and perfect for this project.  It really pays to save every tiny fabric scrap, because you'll use it at some point.

I used several beads, and a portion of a deconstructed necklace to complete the project.

My friend Patty at Magpie's Nest sent this darling piece I attached to the end that she made from shrink plastic.  It is stamped on both sides.  She included it in a matchbox when we were partnered in an exchange a few years ago.  I'm sure she will approve.

I apologize for the background, but I've never had a good digital camera before, so the background was never a problem.  Now I think I need to build a photo booth.  But at least you can see the necklace is nearly finished.  All I need is a black cord and it will be ready for Kathy the next time she visits.

Today, which is Day 18 of 22, I recycled a thread spool, repurposed two buttons, used fabric scraps too small for a quiltlet, and used several old beads, taken from various necklaces.  I hope it inspires you to recycle something today, too.

13 thoughtful remarks:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous - and clever! Love those colours - I really should use my sewing machine more! I'm sure Bleubeard knew he was being helpful! Love your glue gun play yesterday BTW Chrisx
ps Yes I am going to the WOYWW crop. YAY!

Divers and Sundry said...

quite appealing :) i can definitely picture a rack of these in a shop. i never thought of using thread spools in this way. brilliant!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm sure Bleubeard was happy to have all the attention even if it meant you were stressed out. The necklace is clever and fun--Kathy will love it!

Darla said...

Very interesting, I can see winding the thread spool with paper too. You know I don't use fabric much.

Darla

elle said...

Pretty (!) cool.

Krisha said...

WELL DONE! She will love it!

Halle said...

Really neat necklace! I love the last photo...the glass jars with the bunny toppers. I had totally forgotten about those. So adorable!! Thanks for making me smile.

peggy gatto said...

Totally fun!

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth,

What a beautiful necklace! One thing you might want to try with the thread next time (if there is a next time) use some beeswax on it. It helps by strengthening the thread and helps with it not knotting up.

I'm sure your friend will love her necklace.

Hugs,
Kay

Dianne said...

It's brilliant! love the bitty bits you used on the spool...a charming necklace with lots of texture! ♥

Vicki Miller said...

What a great idea! i have a box of empty spools! You know I never throw anything away if I can help it!

dawn said...

What a great idea for a necklace! It came out pretty and she will love it. I like the last picture by the way.

Happy Friday and Weekend!

Jo Murray said...

Clever recycling...Kathy will love it.