Sunday, January 12, 2014

Journal 52

A seed was planted the other day when I visited my friend Dawn at Girl Unwinding.  Then last night  I visited Krisha at Krisha's Keepsakes, whose art spoke to me, and I decided to play.  Then I went to BJ's CCraft Corner and that was the nail that sealed the coffin, so to speak.

Yes, I've decided to join Project 52, where I'm informed we can use anything we choose, and need no new art supplies to start or even complete this project.  Of course, all the people who post their art will do so on Flickr and/or Facebook, and as many of you who are regulars to my blog know, I am on neither of these.

Although I don't have my binder decorated yet, since I just started a few hours ago, I was able to complete my first prompt using an old file folder.  I'm determined to put a dent in the stacks and stacks of these folders I found during my recent basement clean-up, so this project should help.  I'm so glad I can utilize (my 2014 word) these folders for 52 weeks, and I'll still have tons left over.

Instead of fussy cutting everything (a fancy term for cutting as close to the object as possible with tiny scissors), I cut around the images because my scissors are in need of sharpening.

I used acrylic paints I mixed together: sand, suede, pale green.  To blend the images with the background, I gently dry brushed over them.  I found a number "1" and added the word UP using one of my new metallic pens, to signify the first prompt, which is Up, Up, and Away.

Now I'm off to see what week 2's prompt is, since I am playing serious catch-up, something I don't like to do.

I'm also joining Creative Every Day this week.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Jane said...

This looks like a fun project, especially the part about using up things we already have! Might have to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

great idea. folders make a great surface to play on....xox

Linda Gibbons said...

I love the stark, minimalist look of this, Elizabeth. It speaks to me of calm and warm breezes.

Did you know that you can sharpen scissors by cutting up a piece of aluminum foil?

Krisha said...

I'm so glad you decided to join this journal workshop. File folders are going to be a perfect base for journaling. I have a small stash of used folders that I might just be using too, along with bits and pieces of this and that.
I also, like the idea that they are not pushing products and interpretation of the prompt is open.
You will have plenty of visitors, as always (grin) without the other social medias. I already belonged to FB, but rarely post any personal stuff there, just check in once in a while to check up on kids and grandkids that are long distance, since DIL post there all the time.
Looking forward too see your journal pages.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I am glad to know of a few other that are playing along with this project. I always hate being lost in the crowd. It's nice to see familiar faces!
I love the idea of journaling on a file folder! and I like the way you cut out the picture. I do that sometimes because I am being lazy and just don't want to fiddle with being so precise all the time.
Great color choice as well, has a very tattered, old world feel to it.
~Dawn

Lisa Graham said...

I love this art Elizabeth. The color drew me in right away and the balance you've achieved is just so perfect. Nice work!! It's so great that it's on an old file folder too.

Good word!...Utilize.

Have fun with the project.

Beverley Baird said...

So glad you're joining. It will be a fun journey. Love your first prompt.

Divers and Sundry said...

i look forward to seeing what you do for this project. sounds like fun :)

Carol said...

Oh Elizabeth I really like this ♥♥♥♥♥ I will have to go and check out the info...just may be something I can add to my creative list of things to do this year. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jo Murray said...

A great project...and a big commitment. Good for you.

Dawn said...

Love your page Elizabeth, fab movement sweetie.
Huge hugs x x x

Vicki Miller said...

Looks like a great project and you have made a great start!

Nan G said...

Yep, the movement drew me in also...bloglovin just uses a snippet of the first pic you have. Love the simplicity. Something new to look forward to from you. Hugs

Anonymous said...

great response to the prompt! good luck with the project!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This looks like a fun project I'd love to join in but just don't have the time right now. I'll enjoy seeing your art from the prompts.

Linda Manning Findley said...

Love the blending "E" ... sometimes it works beautifully and sometime not for me ...

Marlynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Halle said...

You've got me intrigued. I'm going to have to go off and find out what this project is all about!
Love the images you're used and your composition.