Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Smiles 54: Books, flowers, paintings, and food, oh my

Annie at A Stitch in Time, our host of this weekly Friday event, has kept us smiling for over a year.   I love it that we can end the week with a happy face.  Feel free to share your own smile, too.  Annie will welcome you as easily as she did me.

Earlier today (actually yesterday, since it's now after midnight in my world) I went grocery shopping, then decided to take my friend Sally to an early dinner.  Nothing like treating yourself with a little art, some fun reads, and good food after spending much of the day buying groceries.

The first thing Sally did was head for the books, while I took a few photos of the artwork on the walls of the restaurant (called a cafe) area.

This was my favorite painting, but the reflection of the lights from the glass made it nearly impossible to tell it was a grain elevator.

Once the photos were off my camera, I couldn't tell what this painting was, although you can see the name of the artist and the price of this, and all the paintings on the wall, which is $950.00 US.  I wasn't very impressed by the mat job on this one, either.

I took this photo for Jo, Annie's sister, who also joins Friday Smiles.  I think Jo knows the name of every flower known to mankind.   I bet this one is a no-brainer for Jo, so I suspect it will put a smile on her face.

And even though I've heard Annie slip on more than one occasion as to which sister is older, you'll have to ask them, because I'm not telling!

Did you think I'd let you get off by not showing this mouth watering treat that any vegetarian (and probably a few carnivores) would love?

Here's what Sally got.  We each had a 3 salad tasting, along with some Focaccia bread and cheddar cheese. 

After our meal, we each bought a scone to go, and I forgot to take a photo.  Mine was oatmeal and Sally's was apricot.  I love scones, and was so glad to see them in this book store and cafe that has a little bit of everything, including art and flowers.  I hope some of this put a smile on your face.  I'm still smiling, although I'm a bit hungry again!

Be sure to visit Annie for links to others joining Friday Smiles.  And I want to thank everyone who commented last week.  I had NO idea that most schools around the world don't have mascots.  Guess that's a US thing.  I have to admit, some of the mascots were quite funny, though.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Annie said...

What a lovely post Elizabeth. I really do feel you have taken us into your hearts with this one and made it special for us. Thank you sooo much. I'm smiling that's for sure now :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Darla said...

Nice to end the week with a smile. The Cafe looks like an interesting place to have a meal.

Darla

Anonymous said...

What a great place to spend some time.
I agree about the mat job on that picture. I'm not sure I agree with that price either. I mean my stuff is one of a kind, too. Am I not worthy of $950 ?? LOL
Beautiful flowers, too. I miss spring -- I hope it gets here soon and stays for a long while. We deserve it, I think.
~Dawn

Laura said...

Oh, you've made my tummy rumble!! Looks very tasty...
Laura
x

Halle said...

Another outing with food....you are one lucky gal! Yummy looking food and a quaint atmosphere.
Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

art, books and a restaurant, now that works for me......I could spend a day there. xox

JoZart Designs said...

It sounds a perfect lunch out to me with art and good food and a friend to share it. I always find in England that libraries, galleries and museums always have a good cafe/restaurant. Thanks for sharing your trip and hope you have a good weekend.
Jo x

Lisa Graham said...

Aaahhh...Watermark Books! Now you're talking. I love Watermark. I had a show there too in August. It wasn't very successful, I only sold one of my paintings, but then again, people don't go there to buy art. It's all about the books...and the food. :)

Have a great weekend Elizabeth!

Divers and Sundry said...

what a lovely setting! i'm not vegetarian, but you are right that the plates y'all had would've suited me just fine :)

that flower is beautiful

Twiglet said...

What a lovely trip you had and thanks for the mention! Now I am not too sure what that beautiful flower is - gorgeous colour - I am tempted to try needle-felting one. Thanks for sharing. x Jo

mamapez5 said...

What a lovely post. the lunch looks scrumptious, and the venue very interesting. I think the beautiful flower is an alstoemeria. i used to grow them but they were difficult. You had to keep them in the fridge for ages before you planted them. but mine usually had a different colour throat. They make good cut flowers, though i have to admit I really prefer my flowers growing naturally.
Thanks for sharing your happy day, and for visiting mine. Kate x

Rita said...

So glad you two are friends and go fun places! Looks like a great time once again. ;)

Rita said...

So glad you two are friends and go fun places! Looks like a great time once again. ;)

Vicki Miller said...

You are a social butterfly, going out to all these nice places. All my town has is a pub and a shop, lol. The flower is alstromeria, which is one of my favourites, we have orange ones that grow wild in the rainforest, but the coloured ones are only in nurseries as they are made by breeding. They are quite easy to grow as they are dormant in winter.

Caro said...

What a gorgeous newsy post! I love the food on display and how nice to have an area to eat that is surrounded by art and books..that is my idea of heaven! Thanks for the smile. Caro xx

~*~Patty S said...

Food...Books...Art and time spent with a friend sure looks and sounds perfect to me...

Your vegie plates look delicious and right up my alley...

We L♥ve a good scone too!

I remember flower names much easier than phone numbers for some odd reason :)

oxo

dawn said...

I love everything about this post!! Except that art piece, you are right about that one. Too bad!

Dianne said...

Yummy food and art!