Friday, November 22, 2013

The potted plant


There's only one week left until Thanksgiving.  I always have a house full of people on that day.  I also invite people I know who would normally spend the day alone.  Because my house is not that large, I try to make room for everyone who stops by that day.  It's always wall to wall people and fun.  Up until two years ago, I did it all, fixing an elaborate feast fit for a king or even a vegetarian, like myself.  But two years ago, after some gentle prodding by my friend Scott, I started asking others to bring a covered dish and I would supply the meat (yep, you read right) and non-alcoholic drinks.  It worked out well and took a LOT of pressure off me and the time I spent in the kitchen.

Of course, I still spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and as I was deep cleaning the counter by the sink earlier today, I knew I had to deal with the last of the pineapples I bought a couple of weeks ago that I had yet to cut and core.

I feared this pineapple was past its prime due to the leaves, but once I cut into it, it was sweet and succulent, like any good pineapple should be.  I decided to pot the plant top.  I had good luck growing one a few years ago, but it died when I left it outside too early one May during a freak hard freeze.

I see the apple I so carefully made one year in the late 80s in a class I took on (of all things) clay and calligraphy now sports a broken stem.  As an aside, the class was the only one I have ever taken that related to art of any kind.  I remember we fired the clay right on the pots, then painted the clay when it cooled.  It's the only time I've worked with real clay and I wish I could afford the equipment to make more.  Until then, I'll continue to substitute polymer clay for the real thing.

As for the calligraphy,
everyone who knows me, knows I no longer write or print well.  But apparently, I had a good teacher because that is definitely my handwriting.  Unfortunately, the pot is not very large and my handwriting is.  I was unable to get the word "Elizabeth" on the pot, so the instructor (or someone) suggested I use the word "Liz," which I am NOT FOND OF.  However, it was the best fit. so I used it, but never really used the pot until today.

Obviously the pot will NOT go in my kitchen, which is all white, copper, and cobalt blue, but in my pantry, where my laundry room and microwave are also located.  The pot sits on a copper trivet in the shape of a canning jar filled with apples.

This is Day 23
of AEDM.  Potting a pineapple top may not seem like much, but after I spent the entire day deep cleaning my kitchen, I was simply thrilled I had anything to show.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I've thought about trying a potting up a pineapple top but I didn't think it would root. Your making me think I might have to try it. Cute pot too, Liz! Does sound foreign doesn't it? Elizabeth is such a pretty name. Happy T day!

Janet said...

I have a very liberal interpretation of the word art, so planting a pineapple, and even deep-cleaning the kitchen work for me! Heeheehee!

Vicki Miller said...

I am afraid the only reason I have anything to show is that housework is at the bottom of my list, so I think you deserve an award just for getting your pineapples into a post

Vicki Miller said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Because I am a full-time artist, I sometimes forget that creating should be fun and can be very hypercritical of my work. It is very silly of me

dawn said...

Hello there, sorry I'm late getting to your blog. This pot actually made me smile and then to read you made it, WOW!! She's a beauty I think, great job with the apple and your shortened name, such a cute pot!! My mom had our old kitchen filled with apple things.
So happy to hear you have a houseful for Thanksgiving, love hearing that. This is my favorite holiday of all and usually by now I post a big thing about it. Might still do that if time. Having guests bring some dishes is the best idea, no one wants to do the whole meal themselves, so good for you asking for help.
Oh and about the name thing, I actually LOOOVE names and not using nicknames or shortened versions of them. I made sure Kristin knew not to let anyone call her Kris/Krisy but just Kristin and it worked out well. Then came Sam who is named Samuel but by age 3 his sisters and family would call him Sam. I tried like heck then finally quit and he is Sam now but I do call him Samuel on occasion. In regards to your name, Elizabeth just sounds right and pretty to me.
Sorry for the long comment, just have to share!
Happy Weekend dear friend, thanks for the visit too. Going to read the post below that I missed.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Growing pineapple tops is fun! I do it whenever we get a fresh pineapple, but have only had luck one year actually having it grow a baby pineapple. Still it was exciting.

I am still pretty bogged down with this room re-do, so if I don't get around on Tuesday, I know you will understand.

Halle said...

I've heard that this works but have yet to try it myself.
How lucky you were to take a ceramics class. That is definitely on my bucket list.

Unknown said...

This is wonderful!

Nan G said...

Darling little pot. I'm partial to 'Elizabeth' as that is my middle name. It's such a pretty name and relates us to each other and to royalty! :) have a wonderful weekend! Hugs from Nancy Elizabeth Gustafson (now that's a long name) ;)

Maron said...

What a charming post. I just sat here and pictured all the solitary people who are fortunate enough to know you sitting around your table on Thanksgiving. How wonderful to have that custom to look forward to each year! Your plant pot is wonderful. I too did a few clay/pottery/sculpting classes a while back and I love the feeling of working with that medium and keep promising myself I will do it again!!!

Judy Hartman said...

Your shared Thanksgiving sounds like a work of art to me, and a bright shiny kitchen is a rewarding masterpiece too! Love your clay pot and the story behind it!
Thank you for your thoughtful comments on my blog this month - they mean a lot to me! :)

darlene said...

Great idea to plant the pineapple.

Your Thanksgiving dinners sound wonderful!

TammyVitale said...

Now I just may have to buy a pineapple to see if I can grow it! We have a lemon tree, that has never bloomed, that my husband started from a seed over 20 years ago. We take it out in the summer and bring it in for the winter where it lives happily beneath our hall skylight. It would be fun to grow a pineapple!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

You are such a gem! I love this idea to grow a pineapple. I have a bunch of pots I have painted waiting for me to get off my butt and do something creative with them. See, there you go for the how many timeth this November? inspiring me! (Now there is a nutty sentence for you!)

Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

I do a Thanksgiving after Thanksgiving and this year did the same thing, said, yup I'll do the turkey, can you please bring.....I already feel less stressed. Never potted a pineapple top, might have to try this. Thanks for the tips. xox

Rita said...

Cute pot! I didn't know you could plant pineapple tops--well, never even bought a whole pineapple--LOL! I hope it grows for you. :)
Sweet of you to have a kind of Thanksgiving open house!

Vicki Miller said...

Thanks for stopping by, looking forward to your next step with the folders!

Anonymous said...

I bet you are a wonderful hostess and that it is the warmest and blessed day of the year for a lot of people.
~Dawn

Jez said...

I'm left speechless by the idea that you can grow a pineapple in a pot and be able to have a fresh pineapple to eat. Makes my mouth water, especially when I think of opening a tin of chunks. I always thought they grew on trees, dangling from the branches, until I saw the plants growing in the ground in Africa.
What a kind person you are to provide a welcoming day for so many people.

Karla B said...

I also grew pineapples once. Love pineapples! They are yummy yummy.Really liked your idea.

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh I get it E...I have been running around getting further behind and now I'm finally catching up and my house is starting to look less abandoned, I'm thrilled to be contemplating something ANYTHING else! I read somewhere that it takes seven years for a pineapple to fruit..that can't be right surely?
I was surprised to see 'Liz' on the side of the pot, makes me chuckle when people assume things about your name usage...a handful of people who don't really know me call me 'Jules'. It doesn't offend me or make me cross, it just makes me realise how little they know me..I am so not a 'Jules'!!
Co incidentally, the only decent piece of clay art I ever made in a class is an apple shaped pot.