Thursday, February 21, 2013

"Q"

How is it that the ONE storm with national (US) attention to Wichita, KS, has no name.  It reminds me of a scene in NCIS:LA.  Callen asks Hetty why she never calls him "G," and she retorts: "Its a letter, not a name."  That's how I feel about "Q," the storm that has hit the midwest with a vengeance of epic proportion.

Not only is there more snow reported than in about 20 years, there was also something called "thunder snow," a term I heard early this morning when I was watching the local news.  And yes, there was both thunder and lightening associated with this snow storm.

That lightening led to my latest adventures. I decided to shut my computer down in case we had a lightening attack close by.  When I did, my power supply/surge protector quit.  It took awhile to diagnose the problem, but I finally figured it out.  I have two surge protectors on my computer.  One is connected to the wall outlet, the other to the other surge protector that has all my working equipment (computer hard drive, monitor, printer, shredder, fax, Ott light, DSL box, and scanner).  The surge protector connected to the wall outlet had quit for some unknown reason.  Unknown, because I had done nothing different, and nothing on the other side of the room had lost power, or the other lamp connected to this wall outlet.


Luckily, I had just received an awesome power strip from my dear friend Sally.


 Isn't it the smartest design you have seen in a long time?  And there's even a "Q!"

Color me impressed, and I'm not easily impressed with most products on the market.

So after getting back online, and allowing the thunder snow to leave the area, I downloaded the latest edition of Firefox.  As I always do, I tried to check my blog.  Lo and behold, not only could I see my blog (most of it, anyway), but I could also log into blogger.

So this has been a "Q"uirky thunder snow, a "Q"uirky adventure, a "Q"uirky take on a surge protector, and a storm named, of all things, "Q."

By the way, I'm "Q"uite alright and still have power.

I'll be by to see those of you who have been so good to and supportive of me while I've been offline for so long.  Thanks for your continued patience and support. Now "Q"uickly thank your lucky stars that you are safe and warm during this crippling storm.

EDIT: Krisha asked where my friend Sally got the "Q"uirky power supply.  Those of you who visit my blog a lot probably know the answer, but of course I had to call Sally for the answer. Since Sally is such a big fan of "Q"VC, it was pretty obvious. 

12 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I have been following your blogger adventures for a while (!!) and am glad you seem to be getting somewhere, through this "Q"uirk of nature!

Krisha said...

What a great idea for a power strip. Do you know where she got this "Q"uirky gadget?? En"Q"uiring minds want to know. Do keep safe and warm. Even by CA standards it has been cold here.

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth.

That's a weird storm. Our lightening/thunder storms here in NM are quite spectacular - and sometimes very scary.

I love NCIS LA and remember that scene.

Now, that new strip of yours is very interesting - and so smart!

Hugs,
Kay


505whimsygirl said...

Hi Elizabeth.

That's a weird storm. Our lightening/thunder storms here in NM are quite spectacular - and sometimes very scary.

I love NCIS LA and remember that scene.

Now, that new strip of yours is very interesting - and so smart!

Hugs,
Kay


505whimsygirl said...

o.k. don't know why my comment was posted twice.....

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Hallelujah! First I am so happy that you are alright in the storm! Second, I am doubly happy that you are back! That is an awesome surge protector. We just had snowstorm "Nemo" and I am not sure I like that name any better than "Q". I'll stop babbling now--I'm just so happy you are back!

Monica said...

Love NCIS LA.
Stay inside and cuddle up to Bluebeard.

Dawn said...

WHOOP WHOOP, welcome back to blogland sweetie. That storm sounds nasty, stay safe and warm my lovely.
Huge huggles x x x x

Lynn Cohen said...

Sounds like a fun read; and the art quilt is very pretty too.

voodoo vixen said...

Thunder snow... it sounds pretty cool but i bet it wasn't much fun to actually be in it! Glad you still have power and are keeping warm and YAHOOOOOO for being able to get on your blog again!! I was Skyping Chris in Brisbane the other day and even he had noticed your absence and asked what had happened to you!! LOL
I got the second attempt at a comment but can see no sign of the first one... so not sure what it said!! The packers have been in this week and my shipment is now off on its voyage and I have a house to clean... the blog is feeling very ignored... which I will rectify!!

Dianne said...

so glad you were able to log on to your blog...hope things settle out for you! and glad you still have power. when I heard about the 'thunder snow' I immediately thought of you. wondered if you'd have photos for us of the blanket of white that you're under...I'm back from my (all too short)vacation, and trying to catch up on everything...take care dear.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

I don't usually read book reviews but your review is quite entertaining, Elizabeth! And I learned something about what a cozy mystery is. I also enjoyed your step by step of your art quilt. It turned out great! I've missed you over at WOYWW, Glad you are Quite ok