Friday, August 17, 2012

Elizabeth's AB Window homework

Some of you may recall this is as far as I got on my window homework this week.


Here is where I am now. Remember, I had already created the window, so I next painted stirrer sticks (compliments of Starbucks) and a length of bamboo from my garden, the same color as was on one of my pages.


After I cut and attached the stirrer sticks, I ran the bamboo through the "curtain." I used the dimensional tape stacked two high to raise the bamboo and hold it away from the page.


Here is the page sitting on my craft table, and


here is that same page scanned.


I tried to push the curtain back when I scanned the reverse side. What a surprise I got when I noticed the curtain probably needed to be sewn better and the window picked up the heat and color from the scanner. But I had spent several days painting, drying, assembling, drying, cutting, gluing, drying, and working on this four page spread. And right now I needed to move on instead of reworking this curtain. I learned a lot in this lesson and one of the things I learned was designing a moveable curtain is harder than I originally envisioned. Thanks for sticking with me through the process. See you Sunday for a new (and hopefully better . . . more cohesive) lesson.

____________________

8 thoughtful remarks:

elle said...

Good try at a for real window! I'm trying to get a clear idea myself! lol

Dawn said...

Fab window Elizabeth, love the curtain and the colours you have used. Brilliant window frame too, love that the materials were 'free'.
Lol, getting a bit behind now after a few personal things to deal with over here! Hopefully will be able to show my zip page on Sunday (or soon after!) so that I can move on to the window spread.
Big hugs x x x x

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love, love the curtain, fantastic idea! And recycling too yeah! xox

sandee said...

That was really neat effect, with the scanner heat showing up in the window, when I first saw it, I thought, wow, how did Elizabeth do that? lol waving hi from the sandy beaches of Florida ;0

Carolyn Dube said...

Your curtain reminded me of the ones I made in college. They too took more than I expected because I didn't sew at all then so I used hot glue to make the curtains. They did the basic job but we didn't mess with them too much because well, there is a reason why you don't hot glue curtains to hang in the window.

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Oh it doesn't really matter! We get the idea! Patsy from
HeARTworks and
papemelroti

BJ said...

I think your curtain is rather cute and I bet people will probably just lift it up rather than draw it across! LOL. I did my window pages yesterday and have blogged them if you want a preview before I link up on Sunday/Monday. Nearly finished my book now and hope I can pop a door on a future page somewhere. BJ

BJ said...

Thanks for your comments. Yes the plain hearts were cut with my Cuttlebug and the edges embossed, otherwise no other texture just pearlescent cardstock and more hearts stuck on top. The flower hearts were from a kit. Definitely NO paint on that spread, just music score stamping and red inking, patterned papers from a magazine plus some mulberry paper. I'm going to find some quotes for the tags after I send this.
Have to admit I was tempted to cut the edge of one of my sunflower pages with scallopped scissors so can't wait for your next installment. Sounds like I could cut the edge along the ric-rac ribbon and add the dangly bits, although I was thinking of using another page for that, but we'll see. Thank you for helping me with ideas for my limited pages. The up side is when the course finishes I should have a completed book and that is a great prospect for me. Already thinking about my cover and even bought some texture paste!!! HUGS BJ