Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer of Color: Rainbow Sherbet

I wanted to join the Summer of Color last year after seeing a few of my friends' entries. By the time I actually realized what was going on, several weeks had passed. This year was different, though. When two of the people I visit every time they post, showed their first challenge entry, I really wanted to join. This year there would be a combination of colors. That piqued my interest and it was then I decided to join Kristin at Twinkle Twinkle in this six week fun filled and colorful ice cream journey. I can already tell it's going to be a lot of fun.



The first week's colors were rainbow sherbet. Had it not been for my friend Halle at Halle's Hobbies, who yesterday sent me some awesome Oriental fabric, I might not have joined this challenge. It is my understanding we need to have a completed project and I'm all about making backgrounds for later use. When I saw the fabric, I knew I had a way to join this project.

It doesn't take long to dye fabric the way I do it using Staz-on reinkers and 91% alcohol. What works on paper works equally well, if not better, on fabric. I adore the mottled look I get using this technique on fabric. I dyed pre-washed muslin yellow and pink to match the Oriental background, then added white and orange from my stash. I stacked the colors and sewed a heart.

I didn't realize I had turquoise thread in my bobbin, because I had changed to pink for my top thread. Oh well! All my rainbow sherbet always has lime in it. So, a little greenish blue wasn't going to hurt that much.


In case you have no idea how I made the heart, I stacked the four colors, then sewed around the fabric in the desired shape (in this case, that of a heart). Next, I cut the fabric to shape. I sewed random swirls that overlapped each other, then cut the fabric inside some of those swirls, exposing the color underneath. If you make one, be sure you don't cut through your final layer. I try to only cut one layer at a time.

I used some hand dyed pink cotton to complete the back of the quiltlet, because the Oriental fabric was quite slippery. I need to add flaps to hang this beauty, then it will be finished. Now I'm off to join the Summer of Color!!


_____________________________

39 thoughtful remarks:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...I loVe your Sherbert Heart Elizabeth, the way the under colours are exposed adds great texture to your piece...inspiring & beautiful...Mel :)

Helen said...

I shall enjoy following the summer of colour with you, I love your heart!

Rita said...

Lovely sherbet heart! Never though of alcohol inks on fabric, but...duh! Of course it would work! :)

Fishcake_random said...

This is such a clever idea for using up pretty but tiny scraps of fabric for a project. Wouldn't this look darling on a card?
x x x

voodoo vixen said...

Oh wow... this is mouthwatering colourful and I love your heart with the layers... wonder if it would work with paper if you rolled it back? Hmmmm, may have to experiment!!

Diana Taylor said...

Wonderful - I love the fabrics and the way you layered the heart. It's beautiful and vibrant.

peggy gatto said...

this is glorious, it sings with color, texture and detail!!!

Caterina Giglio said...

looks like great fun and such brilliant color.... positively woke me up! I will have to try this technique.. x

Terri Corona said...

So beautiful - visual eye candy! I love the contrast of the elegant silky background and the more rustic looking focal point.

Also I just wanted to let you know I added to my original blog post on how I made the rainbow sherbet rainbow - it was sweet of you to express interest!

Kristin said...

xo!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Beautiful colors and I like the use of the blue-green thread....happy accident!

Terrie said...

Since I don't use fabric much I'm in awe when it shows up in a project - and handled so well. What a great little quiltlet.... I didn't get that the intent was to make a finished piece of art so have been doing abstracty stuff in my journal. Went back to read the 'instructions' and feel like I'm okay....the idea is to create in my fave medium (whatever that is at the moment), so I'm all good. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around chocolate mint.....maybe a photo? I dunno...

Darla said...

Sounds like a good challenge group. I'm really impressed with the piece you made.

Darla

Netty said...

Lovely Sherbert Heart and adore that beautiful oriental material. Happy Summer of Color, Annette x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic heart from a heart-ful lady. xox

Anonymous said...

OHH! Very pretty!

XX Rachel XX

Jo Murray said...

Great 'sherbet' heart Elizabeth. Glad you are in the challenge.

Halle said...

Hooray! You are already using it!!
Looks great!!

SandeeNC said...

I joined this one too as I had a lot od WOYWW ladies suggest I do it, because my ice cream ATC had the colors for the challenge! Lucky me, huh? Anyway, I LOVE your wall hanging, it looks sumptious with those colors!!! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

~*~Patty S said...

what a colorful and fun project

that satin from Halle is gorgeous and your heart really pops beautifully E

thank you for saying how you created it
oxo

Joyce said...

Love all the textures in this piece!

Tracey FK said...

your sherbet heart is perfect and fits the colour prompt so well.. mind you I expect nothing less than magnificent when I visit and of course you never let me down... have a great week...xx

JansArtyJunk said...

Your Rainbow Sherbert artwork is fabulous!! ... love it!! Looking forward to your week 2 now!!
Jan x

Mandy said...

WOW...THIS IS STUNNING...BEAUTIFUL...XXX

Gaby Bee said...

Wow these colors just popped out at me. I love the fabrics you've used! Stunning!

Wishing you a lovely weekend!
Gaby

Diane said...

Excellent Elizabeth!! I'm so glad you joined in!

Carolyn Dube said...

Magnificent! So glad you grabbed you cone of summer color!!!

Carmen said...

The heart is gorgeous, love all the layers to it. I think the turquise thread is a gorgeous contrast.

Molly said...

these colors and fabrics are gorgeous. the turquoise thread was the perfect final touch! (i always liked the lime part of the rainbow sherbet best!)
have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Your quilts never fail to amaze me- I think this one might be my all time favorite! Oh, an my rainbow sherbert always has lime in it too ;)

Caz said...

Oh that pinky colour is amazing!!

BJ said...

So glad you decided to join in, your wall hanging is delicious. BJ

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Great work! I love hearts and bright colors. Sort of Indian inspired in all its colorfulness. Lovely! My girlfriend years ago made me a cutwork quilted sweatshirt but it never arrived here in Kuwait. I think the package was opened once it arrived and someone decided they liked it. Happens all the time in this country. Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Tammy

Dianne said...

absolutely gorgeous! you know I love hot pink...and I think the aqua thread gives the whole piece a bit of sparkle. hope you resolve your issues with Yahoo soon...I had a feeling that 'anonymous' comment was you when I read it, but glad you signed as an afterthought. happy creating!!

Daniele Valois said...

purdy!!!

Sandi McLean said...

Love that background! Wow

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your rainbow sherbert quiltlet look luscious! I really like the oriental background fabric, and the heart is a fabulous technique!

susanne said...

How gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]kensington canada goose parka[/url] That sparked far more movement plus Zumba was born!. [url=http://www.busesbitermi.com]dr dre beats heartbeats cheap[/url] Mpqaev
[url=http://www.christianlouboutindiscountsale.co.uk]christian louboutin shoes[/url] [url=http://www.ogrelarp.com]http://www.ogrelarp.com[/url] Blcmru [url=http://www.pandorajewelryukonsale.co.uk]cheap pandora[/url]