Tuesday, February 21, 2012

SpendthrifTEA

Today I'm visiting Kimmie and all my Tea Tuesday friends from my craft room.


I've often said since the first of the year that I am NOT buying anything I don't need this year. Well, I needed gesso. I was nearly out. In fact, there was not really enough to properly coat the cover of my Techniques AB you see in the background that I will be decorating. So yesterday, with coupons in hand, I made my way to two craft stores. I first went to Michael's where I stocked up on cheap craft paint. I got these on sale at 3/$1.00 US (3/0.756 EU, 3/0.63 GBP) PLUS, I had a 20% off coupon for my total bill, sales items included. So, I got these for a little over $2.00 US.

Next, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought the BIG 84 oz (2.38 kg) tub, which is normally $16.95 US (12.81 EU, 10.685 GBP) at 40% off. That made it a little over $9.00 US (6.8 EU, 5.67 GBP) plus tax. Yes, we pay sales tax on everything we buy in Kansas, including food and clothing. I may not have needed the paint, but I wanted more colors than I seem to have in my arsenal, and these were SO cheap, I couldn't pass them up. As for the gesso, I've never bought a tub that large before, so this was a MAJOR investment for me. But it seems the brand and size I purchased at Hobby Lobby in the past has been discontinued.


I am equally quite excited about my tea this week. It is organic cranberry. The brand is Wild harvest, and although I had never heard of it before, it is USDA certified organic. Even before I smelled it, I was in love with the color.


After a quick dip or two, I could smell the aroma of this wonderful tea. I even got three cups out of this one tea bag. Now I can hardly wait to see what color I get from the bag once it is dry. You might call me a spendthrift, but please visit Kimmie for links to the other Tea Tuesday participants. And remember, you don't have to drink tea, just join us for a celebration of fun drinks, good times, and joyous camaraderie.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Darla said...

I just knew you were going to save that teabag, LOL! I think your purchases were wise, I didn't know gesso even came in big tubs like that. I'll have to hunt some down, we don't have Hobby Lobby here.

Unknown said...

I'm not much of a tea drinker, but that looks delish! And I'm sure you will take better care of your Gesso than I do, I got the big tub a couple years ago, and the sides have started to dry up!

Ann B said...

Now that's what I call a tub of gesso. I know they say everything is bigger in the States but I didn't think it applied to craft supplies. Tea looks interesting as well.

Dianne said...

wow, that's a lot of gesso! looks like you made your shopping dollars count--I think you got a lot for your money. That's a pretty large altered book in the making too...I know you will be putting it to good use in your AB class. Enjoy that lovely tea!

Terrie said...

I'd seen that Michaels sale on paint too, but didn't really need any right now and their stuff always goes on sale, so I'll wait. The gesso is another thing entirely - Michaels only carries the Golden/Liquitex, more expensive ones. It's quite a trek to my nearest Hobby Lobby, but it might be worth it. Since I'm making my first AB with you, think I'll be using more of it than usual :) Thanks for sharing your fab bargains.

505whimsygirl said...

Your tea sounds great. Love the color!! Do you dye paper with the tea bag? I also bought three more paints this weekend. How is it that we find new colors that we NEED? That is one big tub of gesso!

Hugs,
Kay

Anonymous said...

Now that is a thrifty bag of tea! Happy T on T
~Dawn

*jean* said...

what fun you've had! and i agree, your cranberry tea is very pretty! happy T day, e!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sounds like you got some great deals. I don't even know what gesso is but if you use it often, then I think you done good. Cranberry anything is usually pretty good so I am sure your tea was yummy. I just had a bowl of Special K with dried cranberries, chopped pecans and a dash of cinnamon. Delish! Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

Halle said...

Good bargain shopping!! Did I send you that tea?? They have that brand at our Cub Foods store. I really like that one.

Jo Murray said...

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. It means you have $$$s some other time when it really counts.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you did a good job with some pretty smart shopping! I've never seen such a big container of gesso - but that's a great way to save is to buy the larger sizes of things!

your tea sounds scrumptious - I'm sure I would love that! it would be great over ice in the summertime too :)

Happy Tuesday! and happy gessoing!

Julia Dunnit said...

Bloomin bargain paint!! We too pay a tax but it's calculated into the ticket price rather than added at the till. It's on everything except children's clothing and take away foods, but isn't of course a state to state amount, it's a flat 20% across the country. Indirect taxation it may be, but it al adds up, huH! Am already behind with my AB, but not too distantly, LOVED yesterday's post, am sort of wallowing in it before making a start.

She Who Doodles said...

glad to see you found gesso in a big tub. i'm so tired of all the small containers i find at the local art supply stores.

cranberry tea sounds yummy, enjoy.

~*~Patty S said...

Now that is what I call a bucket of GESSO!!! what a deal...wondering how long this will last you artsy woman!!!

Lovely and thrifty tea today!
oxo

Tracey FK said...

You are a legend bargain hunter... I love getting new supplies and it is even better when they are a bargain... as to that tea... I would love straight cranberry... I make iced tea with a cranberry and pomegranate flavoured tea and that is yummy, but I love cranberry... must see if I can hunt it down... xx

Sarah said...

Gesso and tea - the two main supplies a girl needs in life, just use separate spoons! Thanks for letting us look in, enjoy WOYWW and your week, Sarah at 16.

Anne-marie said...

Sounds like to had some fab bargains I don't drink much tea but that does sound quite nice have a fab week
Anne-marie #4

Caterina Giglio said...

I will check out that tea, it sounds so good! you are such a great shopper, always finding such bargains... just bought some gesso at Michaels and it was hard as a rock! enjoy your lovely tea! xo

Spyder said...

That is a very large bucket of Gesso, don't think I've seen one that bigm but then I don't get out much these days...months...last year...! No, haven't started my book yet..(going to start a new one as the 'other one' wasn't good!) I deleted about 30 of my comments this morning by mistake, sorry if one were you! It was an accident, honest!
HaPpY WoYwW!! Have a very crafty week!
((Lyn))#67