Friday, December 2, 2011

Inspiration Avenue: English Literature

This week for Inspiration Avenue, Lisa, the one with The Wright Stuff challenged us to (in Lisa's words): "Be inspired by English Literature in whatever form you choose." When I saw that challenge, my mind immediately lept (that's an archaic English word, folks) to


this piece I framed in the late 1980s. It was originally the dust cover from the English Lit book I used as an undergrad. It is a picture of Queen Elizabeth I, and I kept it because I loved the picture and was always impressed with her. Now this may not be something I painted, but it is something that is quite close to my heart and my ancestry.



And what better way to be inspired by English Literature than the cover of an old English Lit book?


Stepping further back, you can see how I used the framed book cover in the vignette over windows in this rather feminine guest bedroom.

Thanks Lisa for this challenge. And thanks, too, for allowing me to step outside my normal box and show my take on English Literature, regardless of the form.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Darla said...

I enjoy reading about the English Royals and your picture of Elizabeth I is lovely.

Darla

Healing Woman said...

What a good idea to preserve a memory of your undergraduate days and answer a challenge as well. She looks great in her feminine setting.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I am always amazed at your creative ideas! Framing a favorite book dust jacket is brilliant!
Glad you found a frame to fit her large skirt, too!

Tracey FK said...

That is an amazing vignette in the guest room... how fascinating to have a collection of things to tell a story in a room instead of just a painting... looks wonderful and really interesting approach xx

Steph said...

an beautiful picture I would love to frame too...happy weekend E!!!

Terrie said...

This is a nice interpretation - this one threw me and my muse deserted me. Couple that with being busy preparing to host a party tomorrow and I just couldn't focus on something so foreign to me. I can't wait to see how others worked with it though!

Dianne said...

I really like that painting of the queen too...and perfect for you to frame it!

sandra de said...

Just as I thought you have an artist ability to bring all the elements together to tell a story. Now for some info. on india ink.

I have only just started using india ink. Lots of crafters use it to drop splashes and drips on their page. I use it to doodle. I worked on a gessoed page which I then painted the background in acrylic paint. With a fine paint brush I doodled flowers. The ink dries instantly, flows beautifully on the page and I can go over lines to darken areas. Or add a drop to water and get a watercolour effect. I am in love with india ink. I just get lost in the doodling so relaxing. The bonus is that my DD thought the drawing was lovely and wanted one for her room. You just have to give thanks.

voodoo vixen said...

I wanna come and stay!! What a pretty display you have there, and yes, Elizabeth I was always a firm favourite of mine too. Love the idea of a picture using a book cover... only you would think of it!!

Hettienne Grobler said...

a lovely luxurious post - I thoroughly enjoyed this trip down memory lane and into your guest room

WrightStuff said...

Does she look fine - yet also really uncomfortable in that dress!!

artangel said...

It's a beautiful image, looks wonderful framed!

Unknown said...

Love the dust cover and the way you've displayed it in the quest room, happy belated IA. xx