Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tea with sunflowers

Summer, in temperament (and temperature) only, is still with us. The only difference is the early morning autumn light is no longer overhead. Already the day is heating up.


In order to get a decent photo, I had to lighten (brighten) this photo in Photoshop all the way to the right of the spectrum. At least my grass doesn't look black and my plant actually looks a bit like the wild sunflower it is.


My tea began hot. It was an experiment to see if the glass would hold the intense heat needed for steeping tea. This is a glass of oolong made using a tea bag that I steeped in the house and brought outside, then poured in the glass. Thankfully, the glass held up, not just under the heat, but also the sudden addition of ice cubes.

Why the experiment? My friend Cath recently asked if I had used the tea she sent me that blossoms into something (hopefully lovely) in the glass when subjected to hot water. I explained I needed a glass or clear mug that would hold up under the heat and, at that time, the summer's intense heat made it too hot to experiment. So this morning I was outside with the hot tea, and that glass took everything I threw at it. Now I know it is safe to use for the tea blossoms I plan to use next week. And while I'm throwing ice in this glass, why not visit Kimmie and the rest of my Tea Tuesday friends at Art in Red Wagons.

After I pay a long overdue visit to a few of my friends, I'm going to try to find out why my e-mail no longer works. So please don't e-mail me. It could take awhile before I respond.

14 thoughtful remarks:

Halle said...

Love the sunflower place mat. Hope you get your email figured out.

Yvonne said...

I have used the tea blossoms before. You will love it. So unique and pretty. It's cooling off here too. My mornings are near 60 degrees and evenings still in the 80's. Loving autumn type weather. Have a good and happy tea day.

Dianne said...

When you steep your tea bloom... put it in the widest glass you can find so that it can open fully. They are beautiful, you will enjoy seeing it.

Margaret said...

We're also enjoying late summer days with cool temperatures at night, some of the best blues skies yet! Mx

Dianne said...

looking forward to the bloom in your tea next week...and good luck with the email!! Enjoy the lovely day while it lasts...

Unknown said...

What a funny visual image I have of you throwing everything you have at that poor glass :)

Pyrex or a canning jar would be sure to hold up under the boiling water .... Not so pretty though.

Enjoy your waning summer and approaching winter - it's probably just about near perfect when you're right in between.

Caterina Giglio said...

oh my still hot? we are cooling down here and nights are positively chilly... cannot wait to see your lovely tea next week and see you in St. Croix!! lol

Terri Kahrs said...

Another heat wave??? And we've been in the rainy season all summer into fall. Last week in Maine, the temperature was in the 80's with humidity. Unheard of for that region at this time of the year. We had packed winter coats and lots of sweaters for layering. Needless to say, we were scrounging for warm weather clothing! Mother Nature sure has been playing tricks with us this year.

I just made myself a cup of English Breakfast in my new pottery mug and have been reading through some of your past posts to get caught up. LOVE those rust journal pages!

It's so nice to be back in Blogland! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Gayle Price said...

Hi there Elizabeth. Tea that blossoms in the glass sounds wonderful, can't wait to see that. You could maybe use latte glasses they use for coffee, we have a few and they withstand hot coffee so they would be fine to brew tea in. Glad to hear your extremely hot weather is slowly easing....we have ours just around the corner and I am not looking forward to it, will definitely be wanting iced tea then. xx

Nancy said...

Your tea looks such a gorgeous colour! And the placemat is so pretty---nice photos :)

~*~Patty S said...

Your heat wave just won't let up will it!

Lovely sunflower theme for your T today ... it will be fun to see your bloomin tea next week too!
oxo

voodoo vixen said...

Hmmmm, could be why you haven't replied to the last email I sent?? LOL
Love the sunflowers and I really want to try those blossom tea things... not sure I want to drink them... just watch them grow!!

Darla said...

Looks like you have the perfect container for blossoming tea. We have a small glass teapot for just that use.

Hope you solve your e-mail problem soon.

Darla

Anonymous said...

Tea blossoms are so beautiful. Glad the glass held up. Hope ypur email gets fixed, that must be so frustrating. xox Corrine