Thursday, October 6, 2011

Out and about

This post is on a timer. I missed my weekly jaunt with my British friends this week over at WOYWW because I was gone when it was time to link with Julia. I have a friend who I am off to the Kansas City, MO area with. It will be a quick trip. She and I are there because she wants to buy a dog at some kennel in the KC area. We will be back late Thursday night so I'll be back in time for the Inspiration Avenue Challenge. Until then, here is a brief recap of my weekend.


On Saturday I went to the Great Plains Transportation Museum. I have provided a link to their web site, but it doesn't show much except a couple of photos of their gift shop, their prices, and their hours of operation (9-4 Saturday, 1-4 Sunday, April through October). Since they are closed November through March, I thought it was the perfect time to give them a visit.


A view of the entrance from one of the trains above the street shows the trees are just starting to turn. I will be showing this museum over the next few Silent Sundays. I suspect you are quite tired of the Museum of World Treasures, and it was time for me to get out and check out my city a bit more. Unlike my Zi6, of which I broke the on/off button, the camera I am now using is not very good indoors. So I'm going to apologize in advance for some of the photos I will be showing.


On the way back to the car, I became engrossed in this sculpture


cut mostly from metal, then painted with bright enamel paint. I so love the downtown area for its art at every conceivable spot within eyesight. How does your downtown compare art-wise?

5 thoughtful remarks:

Dianne said...

the sculpture is cool! look forward to more photos of the museum...our 'downtown' has basically been killed by the shopping malls and discount stores. We do have a couple of very well-done murals on the sides of buildings in the downtown, but not many stores are open. sure wish we could get an art community and a once a month 'art walk' going...

Halle said...

That's a super cool sculpture. I also love the old brick building. Such history...

Gaby Bee said...

I agree, this sculpture is really cool!

Terri Kahrs said...

Don't you just LOVE nontraditional art in nontraditional spaces?!?!? It's one of life's little joys. Enjoy your day with your friend. How nice that you can accompany her to find a new fur baby! Better watch out . . . . Bleubeard might get a little jealous!!! Hugs, Terri xoxox

Julia Dunnit said...

I like sculpture where you least expect it. Not alot of that around my area for sure!!
I see from your comment on Annette's WOYWW that your email is on the fritz - so just to let you know to ignore the one I sent asking if you were OK - you are, I'm happy to see; was just concerned that you missed WOYWW, and I get around so little in between wednesdays that I wasn't aware of any specific reason....not that you need to sync your diary with mine or anything!!